Building the Bengals: Roster at 85. 5 to add

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

The only WR the Bengals should consider in round 1 is JSN. He's unlikely to be there and team should only take him if several other players that are likely to be on the board at 28 have been taken earlier. 

Yep..JSN is the only stud receiver .

Imagine him as our slot?...whoa..

He'll be gone though..

• 4 weeks later...

We added Sample and Murphy and are at 69. 

QB Burrow 25 Browning 25         2
RB Mixon 25 Williams 24 Evans 25       3
WR Chase 26 Taylor 24 Lassiter 25       3
WR Higgins 24 Irwin 24         2
WR Boyd 24 Morgan 24         2
TE Smith 24 Sample 24 Asiasi 24 Hudson 25 Bowers 25   5
LT Brown 27 Carman 25 Smith 25 Cochran 25     4
LG Volson 26 Scharping 24 Gilliam 25       3
C Karras 25 Hill 25 Brown 24       3
RG Cappa 26           1
RT Williams 24 Collins 25 Ford 24 Adeniji 24     4

K McPherson 25           1
P Chrisman 24           1
LS Adomitis 24           1

LE Hubbard 26 Murphy 28 Sample 25 Basham 24     4
LT Reader 24 Tupou 24 Davis 25       3
RT Hill 25 Carter 26 Tufele 25       3
RE Hendrickson 25 Ossai 25 Gunter 26 Johnson 25     4
WLB Wilson 24 Bachie 24         2
MLB Pratt 26           1
SLB Davis-Gaither 24 Bailey 24 Jones 25 Carney 25     4
S Scott 26 Wilson 23 Thomas 24       3
S Hill 27 Anderson 27 Corker 25       3
CB Awuzie 24 Jones 24 Tell 25       3
CB Taylor-Britt 26 George 24         2
CB Hilton 25 Davis 25         2

• MichaelWeston changed the title to Building the Bengals: Roster at 71. 19 to add

QB Burrow 25 Browning 25      
RB Mixon 25 Williams 24 Evans 25    
WR Chase 26 Taylor 24 Lassiter 25    
WR Higgins 24 Irwin 24      
WR Boyd 24 Morgan 24      
TE Smith 24 Sample 24 Asiasi 24 Hudson 25 Bowers 25
LT Brown 27 Carman 25 Smith 25 Cochran 25  
LG Volson 26 Scharping 24 Gilliam 25    
C Karras 25 Hill 25 Brown 24    
RG Cappa 26        
RT Williams 24 Collins 25 Ford 24 Adeniji 24  

K McPherson 25        
P Chrisman 24        
LS Adomitis 24        

LE Hubbard 26 Murphy 28 Sample 25 Basham 24  
LT Reader 24 Tupou 24 Davis 25    
RT Hill 25 Carter 26 Tufele 25    
RE Hendrickson 25 Ossai 25 Gunter 26 Johnson 25  
WLB Wilson 24 Bachie 24      
MLB Pratt 26        
SLB Davis-Gaither 24 Bailey 24 Jones 25 Carney 25  
S Scott 26 Battle 27 Thomas 24 Wilson 23  
S Hill 27 Anderson 27 Corker 25    
CB Awuzie 24 Turner 27 Tell 25    
CB Taylor-Britt 26 Jones 24 George 24    
CB Hilton 25 Davis 25      

I'll guess they start off RB, TE now that Callahan is getting reinforcements. 

They should still cut Mixon.

I doubt they actually made any effort to trade Jonah. There were no reports of giving his agent permission to shop him and talk terms with teams on a new deal. They should have said the price is a mid 3rd or better and let him shop himself. Maybe nobody would be interested but certainly nobody is interested in a 1 year, high priced rental where they can't see his knees or talk about an extension before making the deal. 

QB Burrow 25 Browning 25      
RB Mixon 25 Brown 27 Williams 24 Evans 25  
WR Chase 26 Irwin 24 Iosivas 27    
WR Higgins 24 Morgan 24 Lassiter 25    
WR Boyd 24 Jones 27 Taylor 24    
TE Smith 24 Sample 24 Asiasi 24 Hudson 25 Bowers 25
LT Brown 27 Carman 25 Smith 25 Cochran 25  
LG Volson 26 Scharping 24 Gilliam 25    
C Karras 25 Hill 25 Brown 24    
RG Cappa 26        
RT Williams 24 Collins 25 Ford 24 Adeniji 24  

K McPherson 25        
P Chrisman 24 Robbins 27      
LS Adomitis 24        

LE Hubbard 26 Murphy 27 Sample 25 Basham 24  
LT Reader 24 Tupou 24 Davis 25    
RT Hill 25 Carter 26 Tufele 25    
RE Hendrickson 25 Ossai 25 Gunter 26 Johnson 25  
WLB Wilson 24 Bachie 24      
MLB Pratt 26        
SLB Davis-Gaither 24 Bailey 24 Jones 25 Carney 25  
S Scott 26 Battle 27 Thomas 24 Wilson 23  
S Hill 27 Anderson 27 Corker 25    
CB Awuzie 24 Turner 27 Tell 25    
CB Taylor-Britt 26 Jones 24 George 24    
CB Hilton 25 Davis 25 Ivey 27    

• MichaelWeston changed the title to Building the Bengals: Roster at 76. 14 to add
18 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

One of the most unhinged takes I've heard from this draft. Appreciate the laugh.

Why is it unhinged? Tobin is the guy who when our QB was Andy Dalton took John Ross the pick before Patrick Mahomes. That's not even mentioning a lot of other early round busts over the years. He was smart enough to sign Orlando Brown after Brown called the Bengals looking for a job but also let Bell and Hurst leave on modest contracts. He apparently plans to keep Jonah Williams and Lael Collins so Burrow can spend the year running for his life. It's not good strategy to give the opponents a simple defensive option. 

Our last 2 seasons ended with the opponents breaking through the Bengals O-line and the simpleton Tobin doesn't have a plan to fix it. We upgraded at LT after Brown fell into our lap but haven't done anything about the interior and RT looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Is his plan to simply play 6 O-linemen every down against the Browns and Stealers since Jonah will get abused by Myles Garrett and TJ Watt and Irv Smith can't block? 

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Why is it unhinged? Tobin is the guy who when our QB was Andy Dalton took John Ross the pick before Patrick Mahomes. That's not even mentioning a lot of other early round busts over the years. He was smart enough to sign Orlando Brown after Brown called the Bengals looking for a job but also let Bell and Hurst leave on modest contracts. He apparently plans to keep Jonah Williams and Lael Collins so Burrow can spend the year running for his life. It's not good strategy to give the opponents a simple defensive option. 

Our last 2 seasons ended with the opponents breaking through the Bengals O-line and the simpleton Tobin doesn't have a plan to fix it. We upgraded at LT after Brown fell into our lap but haven't done anything about the interior and RT looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Is his plan to simply play 6 O-linemen every down against the Browns and Stealers since Jonah will get abused by Myles Garrett and TJ Watt and Irv Smith can't block? 

He's nailed numerous draft picks that were not as obvious as Burrow, supplemented almost our entire defense on FA signings that almost all hit and turned the entire unit around, and put together a line that gelled to be pretty darn good at the end of the season before injuries demolished it. But sure, he hasn't hit every pick like so many other GMs do and didn't draft the guys you wanted therefore he is in fact below average. Not to mention saying that not only he's below average, but in fact YOU, Joe Schmo on the couch, would have done a better job. Do you hear yourself? That is the definition of an unhinged take. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

He's nailed numerous draft picks that were not as obvious as Burrow, supplemented almost our entire defense on FA signings that almost all hit and turned the entire unit around, and put together a line that gelled to be pretty darn good at the end of the season before injuries demolished it. But sure, he hasn't hit every pick like so many other GMs do and didn't draft the guys you wanted therefore he is in fact below average. Not to mention saying that not only he's below average, but in fact YOU, Joe Schmo on the couch, would have done a better job. Do you hear yourself? That is the definition of an unhinged take. 

Well, that's the point. I'm just a regular guy and I know stupidity when I see it. Bell was one of our 2 best defenders last year along with Reader. Tobin chose to sign Pratt over Bell (he could have kept both if he wanted). Given that we were losing Bates, keeping Bell was important to break Hill into his starting role. Bell wasn't determined to leave and didn't get an offer that was way out of his market value. Bengals should have kept him (even if it cost us Pratt) and the defense would be better. 

Tobin seems prepared to pay more for the Williams/Collins combo at RT than for multiple pro-bowler OBJ at LT. Dumb. Our last 2 seasons were ended when opposing elite DTs beat our IOL and hit Burrow as he was throwing. We might want to do something to increase our depth there so losing a starter doesn't mean the end of the season. But not in Tobin's eyes. Cody Ford could play guard in a pinch and he's the only interior guy we've added. This team will succeed or fail based on Burrow's protection and we haven't done anything to improve it besides lucking into OBJ. 

11 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Well, that's the point. I'm just a regular guy and I know stupidity when I see it. Bell was one of our 2 best defenders last year along with Reader. Tobin chose to sign Pratt over Bell (he could have kept both if he wanted). Given that we were losing Bates, keeping Bell was important to break Hill into his starting role. Bell wasn't determined to leave and didn't get an offer that was way out of his market value. Bengals should have kept him (even if it cost us Pratt) and the defense would be better. 

Tobin seems prepared to pay more for the Williams/Collins combo at RT than for multiple pro-bowler OBJ at LT. Dumb. Our last 2 seasons were ended when opposing elite DTs beat our IOL and hit Burrow as he was throwing. We might want to do something to increase our depth there so losing a starter doesn't mean the end of the season. But not in Tobin's eyes. Cody Ford could play guard in a pinch and he's the only interior guy we've added. This team will succeed or fail based on Burrow's protection and we haven't done anything to improve it besides lucking into OBJ. 

All fine opinions that I won't bother trying to convince you are wrong, which to be clear I don't agree with them. If you had simply said something along these lines which is at least a take based on things that have happened, I would have ignored it and moved on. However, where you lost me and brought me to interject, is that you would have in fact done better and this makes Tobin overall a below average GM. You know, the GM that has built a team that has had more success than any time in this franchise's history. The team you are a fan of. You could do better than that guy.

If that being an unhinged comment is lost on you, then I don't know what else to say. 

The team's recent success is mainly due to Joe Burrow and Lou Anarumo, not Duke Tobin. Burrow had the most impressive QB season in college history. Drafting him was obvious. Tobin did the correct thing there but I'm not sure he deserves a lot of credit for not screwing that up. Likewise when a multi pro-bowler calls the team up and asks for a job at a below market rate, Tobin didn't hang up. Ok, fine but again it's pretty obvious. But other obvious things have gone unadressed. Paying Joe Mixon an above average wage (even if he takes a big paycut) is a poor decision. We should have added a veteran interior O-lineman who can play center and guard and is good at pass protection. Instead we re-signed Scharping, the guy who cost us our last possession in KC.

Our TE room consists of Irv Smith, Drew Sample, and Devon Asiasi. That's the weakest group in the NFL. It would have been simple enough to take a TE in round 3. I'd have taken Darnell Washington there but even if the team had some other guy higher on the board, it would have been a better pick than a backup safety. It looks like the team hasn't even attempted to trade Jonah Williams, who even when fully healthy isn't strong enough for the LT position, let alone the RT position. A healthy Collins is at least strong enough but we seem to be keeping Williams around since we don't know when Collins will be healthy. If Williams were cheap, it would be ok but spending 12.6 mil on an insurance policy is foolish. The Titans were "desperate" to trade back into round 1 and we should have shaken them down when they wanted Levis. Instead another team got the goodies. 

G-Jaxson Kirkland-Washington

S-Larry Brooks-Tulane

RB-Jacob Saylors-E Tenn ST

DT-Devonnsha Maxwell-UT Chattanooga

RB-Calvin Tyler-Utah St

LB-Shaka Heyward-Duke

WR-Shedrick Jackson-Auburn

TE-Christian Trahan-Houston

LB-Jaylen Moody-Alabama

• MichaelWeston changed the title to Building the Bengals: Roster at 85. 5 to add

If you are looking at this team its really hard to accept their approach to several different positions. 

At Tackle they signed Brown and then will have a competition between about 5 guys (Jonah, Carman, Ford, Collins, Adeniji)

At Safety they lost 2 starters but are trying to replace that with a first rounder, third rounder and free agent. 

Then

At RB they kept Mixon and drafted a 5th rounder

at TE they signed the last possible starting option and re-signed Sample

I get that maybe RB and TE aren't that important to them. But why not do the same thing they are doing at Tackle and Safety. 

The Bills signed Latavious Murray

The Eagles signed Dan Arnold

Why not just load up the room even if these guys will get cut?

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, we need better starters at 3 positions on offense but they drafted for depth on defense. Nothing wrong with depth but we don't have any at TE and have questionable starters at RB and RT currently. 

We have no depth anywhere on the OL.

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

If you are looking at this team its really hard to accept their approach to several different positions. 

At Tackle they signed Brown and then will have a competition between about 5 guys (Jonah, Carman, Ford, Collins, Adeniji)

At Safety they lost 2 starters but are trying to replace that with a first rounder, third rounder and free agent. 

Then

At RB they kept Mixon and drafted a 5th rounder

at TE they signed the last possible starting option and re-signed Sample

I get that maybe RB and TE aren't that important to them. But why not do the same thing they are doing at Tackle and Safety. 

The Bills signed Latavious Murray

The Eagles signed Dan Arnold

Why not just load up the room even if these guys will get cut?

Very much sums it up.

I did not reply in the Grade the Draft thread because no matter how good the draft was

(and it was), we still have these pressing needs right now at ORT and a top notch tight end 

would have been nice.

And our starting running back shouldn't even be on the team.

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

True and questions at ORT.

The depth is Ajeniji, D'A Smith and what was said in one of the

threads about Ben Brown is intriguing but, of course, he ,may not make the team, either.

I guess they are waiting for the Manna from Offensive Line Heaven to fall into their locker room

from a camp cut from another NFL team.

Right now the Bengals are like a Ferrari with a bald front right tire that may not get them

through the season or blow and wreck the whole machine.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, we need better starters at 3 positions on offense but they drafted for depth on defense. Nothing wrong with depth but we don't have any at TE and have questionable starters at RB and RT currently. 

The Bengals liked TEs in this draft, but not where most of them were drafted. They just wanted value with their picks, which means not reaching just to fill a position of possible need. That's what bad teams do.

-They liked Kincaid in the 1st, but the Bills jumped Dallas to get him.

-They liked Sam LaPorta at #60 but he went off the board extremely early at pick #35. Never had a chance.

-They liked Tucker Kraft at #92, but he went off the board very early in round 3.

-No TEs were drafted at all in the 4th round.

-They liked Will Mallory in the 5th round, but he went off the board with the pick in front of them. But since the Bengals were looking hard at Chase Brown as early as the 4th round, I don't think they would've taken Mallory if available unless Brown was off the board.

40 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Which is like about 28 or so of the 32 NFL teams. The Bengals have a few positions with very little depth, including OL. Which if they lose 3 OL starters down the stretch again, they aren't going to win a Super Bowl. Almost no team could survive that.

Archived