Building the Bengals: Roster at 85. 5 to add

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, we need better starters at 3 positions on offense but they drafted for depth on defense. Nothing wrong with depth but we don't have any at TE and have questionable starters at RB and RT currently. 

Well, the front office and coaching staff obviously feel different about the level of talent at TE, RB, and RT or didn't feel like there was adequate replacements available in the draft. 

The Bengals don't play a game for another 4 months, that's a lot of time to add new players if needed. 

2 hours ago, dex said:

The Bengals liked TEs in this draft, but not where most of them were drafted. They just wanted value with their picks, which means not reaching just to fill a position of possible need. That's what bad teams do.

-They liked Kincaid in the 1st, but the Bills jumped Dallas to get him.

-They liked Sam LaPorta at #60 but he went off the board extremely early at pick #35. Never had a chance.

-They liked Tucker Kraft at #92, but he went off the board very early in round 3.

-No TEs were drafted at all in the 4th round.

-They liked Will Mallory in the 5th round, but he went off the board with the pick in front of them. But since the Bengals were looking hard at Chase Brown as early as the 4th round, I don't think they would've taken Mallory if available unless Brown was off the board.

Well, a good team would have re-signed Bell and Hurst. Neither was especially expensive to keep. And probably traded Jonah before the draft instead of paying for 29 mil of left tackles with one trying to be squeezed as a square peg into a round hole. Like chains, teams are as strong as their weakest link and good teams avoid having weaknesses that are easy for opponents to exploit. Irv Smith is the presumptive starter at TE and he can't line up inline next to the RT. The Bengals TE will usually be the 4th option as a receiver but should be expected to block on most running and a lot of passing plays. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Well, the front office and coaching staff obviously feel different about the level of talent at TE, RB, and RT or didn't feel like there was adequate replacements available in the draft. 

The Bengals don't play a game for another 4 months, that's a lot of time to add new players if needed. 

Sure, we can potentially claim guys on the waiver wire at final cuts. The team had 6 weeks to make a Jonah trade but doesn't seem to have taken any action to do so.

28 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Well, a good team would have re-signed Bell and Hurst. Neither was especially expensive to keep. 

Really?

Vonn Bell - 3 yrs, 22.5 mil, 13 mil guaranteed

Hayden Hurst - 3 yrs, 21.5 mil, 13 mil guaranteed (highest paid TE free agent contract this year even though no one rated him as the best FA tight end available)

The Bengals would've been fools to pay that to 2 players nearing age 30 with huge contract extensions about to be handed out. Carolina Panthers don't have that problem.

24 minutes ago, dex said:

Really?

Hayden Hurst - 3 yrs, 21.5 mil, 13 mil guaranteed (highest paid TE free agent contract this year even though no one rated him as the best FA tight end available)

The Bengals would've been fools to pay that to 2 players nearing age 30 with huge contract extensions about to be handed out. Carolina Panthers don't have that problem.

to say the least. can't believe you have to type that out for him. 

3 hours ago, dex said:

Which is like about 28 or so of the 32 NFL teams. The Bengals have a few positions with very little depth, including OL. Which if they lose 3 OL starters down the stretch again, they aren't going to win a Super Bowl. Almost no team could survive that.

We can't afford to lose one and neither of our RTs may be ready for training camp. Yeah most teams don't have much depth but we barely have starters at RT, not sure how Cappa is doing either 

Most teams don't win the Superbowl. The #1 reason we haven't yet is shitty OL play. 

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Well, a good team would have re-signed Bell and Hurst. Neither was especially expensive to keep. And probably traded Jonah before the draft instead of paying for 29 mil of left tackles with one trying to be squeezed as a square peg into a round hole. Like chains, teams are as strong as their weakest link and good teams avoid having weaknesses that are easy for opponents to exploit. Irv Smith is the presumptive starter at TE and he can't line up inline next to the RT. The Bengals TE will usually be the 4th option as a receiver but should be expected to block on most running and a lot of passing plays. 

"A good team would have"..

We arent good?..😎

7 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

We arent good?..😎

He’s a troll. just put him on ignore. Whatever the team does he will say it was dumb. If they’d actually signed Bell to the contract the panthers did he would have criticized that. None of his posting is in good faith.

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Sure, we can potentially claim guys on the waiver wire at final cuts. The team had 6 weeks to make a Jonah trade but doesn't seem to have taken any action to do so.

You can't force a trade and just because Jonah wants a trade doesn't mean he's going to get one. The Bengals will do what's in their best interests, not whatever Jonah wants. 

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Good teams don't over pay for average, aging talent. Bell and Hurst can/will be replaced by cheaper and younger options, that's what good teams do. 

If you have to choose between resigning Higgins and  Wilson or Hurst and Bell it's a no-brainer. 

22 hours ago, dex said:

Really?

Yes, really. The team knew Bates was leaving. They should have kept Bell around as he's a very good player and important to Anarumo's scheme. He cost about the same as Pratt but plays a more important position and is a whopping 1 year older than Germaine. Seven million dollars is fair market value for a solid veteran contributor. Back in March, the Hobsonian narrative was that the AAV wasn't too high on their contracts, it was the guaranteed money that the team decided not to match. You need to adjust your talking points but they still remain false. The team can easily afford big extensions for Burrow, Higgins, and maybe Wilson and Reader if they clear out some of the cap deadwood such as Mixon and Williams and probably Collins. 

22 hours ago, membengal said:

to say the least. can't believe you have to type that out for him. 

Player contracts are available at Spotrac or OvertheCap. It's really not that hard to do the math. I work in financial analysis so perhaps I'm more familiar with the area than you but downgrading at 2 positions while keeping deadwood around isn't good use of resources. 

17 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

We arent good?..😎

Sure, we're good but we could be better with fewer self-inflicted mistakes. Someone claimed that filling needs in the draft is what bad teams do. That's nonsense in itself but better run teams go into the draft with fewer needs. Signing OBJ was a great move and 4/64 is a great price for him. The corollary to that is we don't need a 12.6 mil backup LT. Jonah had trade value in late March, probably at least a midround pick if teams could evaluate him physically and talk contract extension with him ahead of a trade. Bengals could have given his agent permission to do that but didn't. Instead they said they would move him to a new position he hasn't played since his freshman year of college. Not smart. 

10 hours ago, membengal said:

He’s a troll. just put him on ignore. Whatever the team does he will say it was dumb. If they’d actually signed Bell to the contract the panthers did he would have criticized that. None of his posting is in good faith.

No, I was openly in favor of letting Bates go, while keeping Bell, Hurst, and Perine. You can look it up.

8 hours ago, High School Harry said:

He's a kid.

no :ninja:

Um, Paul Brown was the coach when I attended my first Bengals game. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

You can't force a trade and just because Jonah wants a trade doesn't mean he's going to get one. The Bengals will do what's in their best interests, not whatever Jonah wants. 

Good teams don't over pay for average, aging talent. Bell and Hurst can/will be replaced by cheaper and younger options, that's what good teams do. 

If you have to choose between resigning Higgins and  Wilson or Hurst and Bell it's a no-brainer. 

Agree they shouldn't trade a player just because the player wants to leave. But they should do so if it helps the team. Trading Jonah and clearing his 12.6 mil salary off the books is good for the team and before the draft he was probably worth a midround pick to someone. At least the NFL media thought so. 

Neither Bell nor Hurst was in decline in 2022. Bell had one of his best seasons while Hurst came here on a prove-it deal and did so. We should be happy to keep productive players on moderate salaries. The guys to move on from are the overpaid guys like Mixon or Williams. And I hate to break it to you but Nick Scott is only a year younger than Bell and the team signed him past his 30th birthday. The horror! Please don't tell me you want to cut Ted Karras who is already 30. Or Cappa who will turn 30 during his current deal. 

The point is that it isn't Bell+Hurst vs Higgins. It's Mixon+Williams vs Higgins. The team is currently about 14 mil under the cap once the rookie money is taken out. If they had signed Bell+Hurst instead of Scott+Smith, they would still be under the cap. If they had moved Jonah and cut Mixon+Collins, they would be more than 30 mil under. That's enough to cover the 2023 cap hits of $150 mil in signing bonuses for extended players. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Also paying a middle tier 30 year old TE what the Panthers paid him..... I mean good for Hayden

But, no.

Not just no but hell no. Again, Smith & Hurst were statistically about equal & Smith is 4-5 years younger. I liked Hurst's attitude too but straight up 1 for 1 it's kind of a wash, let alone for their relative price tags. 

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Not just no but hell no. Again, Smith & Hurst were statistically about equal & Smith is 4-5 years younger. I liked Hurst's attitude too but straight up 1 for 1 it's kind of a wash, let alone for their relative price tags. 

Yeah I like Hurst alot and also liked his Tormund Giantsbane way of playing the game. But the dude was a middle of the pack TE and 30. 

Just because I like the dude I'm glad he got paid.

But not by us.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Can we stop assuming that any trade we were in talks with included wiping out the 12 million? It's pure conjecture at this point.

Or that there was any serious trade offers...or that Mixon is going to get cut or that Williams or Carman is going to suck at RT...

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Or those

Oh I don't think Mixon is getting cut either. I just think that was a really stupid decision.

I'm not sure Carman is going to work at RT. One of Jonah's biggest problems at LT was getting overpowered so it stands to reason he would struggle at RT. However, my issue isn't really with Jonah or Carman. My concern is that we're depending on them, or Collins to get his shit together. That'd be great if it happens but if it doesn't they've got nothing. That seems foolishly optimistic for a team that fell just short of a championship two years in a row because of their OL. Why not address it? Why bet another year on a group you know are that questionable?

To be clear, I don't think you're an asshole or suicidally depressed if you disagree with me. 😉

Archived