Building the Bengals: Roster at 85. 5 to add

24 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Jonah wants to know if you even lift bro??

image.thumb.png.4794eb52d95dae92f85d09765d790adc.png

😆

HaVE yOu eVeN pLAyEd tHe gAMe?!

Good shit dude.

Unfortunately it won't be me that Jonah is required to block but someone should definitely show that pic to any defensive ends on the schedule. I'm sure they'll be shook.

If he does turn into some road-grading mauler of an RT with a mean streak that would be fucking awesome for sure. It's just that I've seen nothing from him to suggest he is any of those things. The Jonah Williams I've been watching these past few years has bounced between fighting for average and hurt.

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Oh I don't think Mixon is getting cut either. I just think that was a really stupid decision.

I'm not sure Carman is going to work at RT. One of Jonah's biggest problems at LT was getting overpowered so it stands to reason he would struggle at RT. However, my issue isn't really with Jonah or Carman. My concern is that we're depending on them, or Collins to get his shit together. That'd be great if it happens but if it doesn't they've got nothing. That seems foolishly optimistic for a team that fell just short of a championship two years in a row because of their OL. Why not address it? Why bet another year on a group you know are that questionable?

To be clear, I don't think you're an asshole or suicidally depressed if you disagree with me. 😉

And just because I disagree with you about Mixon doesn't put me in his super best friends club either.

I've been on record since before the draft that I wanted an RT, the team thought otherwise. I guess well have to wait and see.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

And just because I disagree with you about Mixon doesn't put me in his super best friends club either.

I've been on record since before the draft that I wanted an RT, the team thought otherwise. I guess well have to wait and see.

Exactly, the front office and coaching staff has earned my trust in their decision making process. They know the players, prospects, free agents, and how it will all fit together more than I ever will. 

So while I may have an uneducated opinion, I'm going to go with the flow and trust the experts. It's the assumption that you know more than the coaches and front office about what's best for the team and if things don't go the way you want then it's wrong is what gets me.

14 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Can we stop assuming that any trade we were in talks with included wiping out the 12 million? It's pure conjecture at this point.

It's conjecture that the Bengals made any effort to trade Jonah. It's not conjecture that his salary would go to his new team if traded. That's how trades work, though the Bengals could have assumed some of the cost, ala the Baker Mayfield trade last year. 

14 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Also paying a middle tier 30 year old TE what the Panthers paid him..... I mean good for Hayden

But, no.

I agree Hurst is a middle of the pack TE. That's why he's only the 17th highest paid TE in the league by AAV. 

13 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

There's a lot assuming going on...

No kidding 😁

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not just no but hell no. Again, Smith & Hurst were statistically about equal & Smith is 4-5 years younger. I liked Hurst's attitude too but straight up 1 for 1 it's kind of a wash, let alone for their relative price tags. 

Smith's career best yards in a season is 365. Hurst had 414 last year despite missing several games.  Smith is younger, cheaper, and smaller. He's not better than Hurst as evidenced by the fact both were available to all teams this offseason and Hurst was signed sooner and paid more. Hurst's 3 year deal doesn't have any guaranteed money in year 3 so it's basically a 2 year deal. Likewise with Bell's contract. 

12 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Or that there was any serious trade offers...or that Mixon is going to get cut or that Williams or Carman is going to suck at RT...

There probably weren't any trade offers because there's no evidence the Bengals made him available for trade. Katie has been less committal about Mixon than Taylor and famously said he was on the team "for now". Williams isn't a good fit at RT. Carman might be. I'm glad he's reshaping his body and taking his job more seriously. Before OBJ fell into our laps, the team seemed content with a Collins/Carman combo at RT with Ford in reserve. Instead of doing the sensible thing and trading our new and highly paid backup LT, they decided to have him change position. Apart from his displeasure, that's a poor decision as he now gets to face TJ Watt twice a year in addition to the Browns lining Myles Garrett up on that side. Burrow better spend a lot of time practicing throws while running to his left.

10 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

He said he was in HS when Paul Brown was coaching..

Pretty old kid...😎

I hadn't reached HS when PB retired but I'm pretty sure I'm in the older half of this board. 

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Oh I don't think Mixon is getting cut either. I just think that was a really stupid decision.

I'm not sure Carman is going to work at RT. One of Jonah's biggest problems at LT was getting overpowered so it stands to reason he would struggle at RT. However, my issue isn't really with Jonah or Carman. My concern is that we're depending on them, or Collins to get his shit together. That'd be great if it happens but if it doesn't they've got nothing. That seems foolishly optimistic for a team that fell just short of a championship two years in a row because of their OL. Why not address it? Why bet another year on a group you know are that questionable?

To be clear, I don't think you're an asshole or suicidally depressed if you disagree with me. 😉

This, all of it. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Exactly, the front office and coaching staff has earned my trust in their decision making process. They know the players, prospects, free agents, and how it will all fit together more than I ever will. 

So while I may have an uneducated opinion, I'm going to go with the flow and trust the experts. It's the assumption that you know more than the coaches and front office about what's best for the team and if things don't go the way you want then it's wrong is what gets me.

Eh, a lot of their sins are covered by Burrow. If we still had Dalton at QB, nobody would be talking about how great our roster is. You'd think they would make more effort to protect the franchise. 

59 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It's conjecture that the Bengals made any effort to trade Jonah. It's not conjecture that his salary would go to his new team if traded. That's how trades work, though the Bengals could have assumed some of the cost, ala the Baker Mayfield trade last year. 

I agree Hurst is a middle of the pack TE. That's why he's only the 17th highest paid TE in the league by AAV. 

No it actually is conjecture because it assumes that any trade would have been given the 12 million to the new team and not splitting it between teams. 

And he's 30 and signed for 3 years with the Panthers. Let's see what is production looks like during the lifespan of that contract. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Very interesting considering the only place I remember using that phrase was in reporting a post you made that was nothing but a personal attack and troll comment.

So not only did the mods ignore the report, they immediately shared the content of what they claim is confidential with the person I was reporting?

Really nice job there guys, quality moderation. "Hey theres a report, seems like this is getting out of hand. Should we step in? Nah let's play favorites and throw gas on the fire!"

Guess we know not to bother with the report "feature" in the future.

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Very interesting considering the only place I remember using that phrase was in reporting a post you made that was nothing but a personal attack and troll comment.

So not only did the mods ignore the report, they immediately shared the content of what they claim is confidential with the person I was reporting?

Really nice job there guys, quality moderation. "Hey theres a report, seems like this is getting out of hand. Should we step in? Nah let's play favorites and throw gas on the fire!"

Guess we know not to bother with the report "feature" in the future.

You are such an odd one. 

The initial discussion was about being wrong, all I really wanted to do was allow for a place for people to say it's ok to be wrong. I've been wrong plenty. (See: my desire to keep WIlliam Jackson the 3rd.) I very sincerely was not trolling, I'm not sure why you took that as a troll, but it wasn't intended that way.

Then you went in on the mixed case nonsense, a famous internet troll technique, so I asked who hurt you, which was a troll in response to your troll.

You seem to be ok behaving that way but when it's turned on you, you get way bent out of shape. That happened last year so bad that you took your ball and went home only to tuck your tail between your legs and come back when the season was underway.

How about we just agree that you don't troll me, and I don't troll you? 

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, they have earned that with Taylor in the offseason where they made several of the right choices despite fans wanting something else. (Keep WJ3, Keep Carl Lawson, keep CJ Uzomah.... all choices they were right on.)

27 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You are such an odd one. 

The initial discussion was about being wrong, all I really wanted to do was allow for a place for people to say it's ok to be wrong. I've been wrong plenty. (See: my desire to keep WIlliam Jackson the 3rd.) I very sincerely was not trolling, I'm not sure why you took that as a troll, but it wasn't intended that way.

Then you went in on the mixed case nonsense, a famous internet troll technique, so I asked who hurt you, which was a troll in response to your troll.

You seem to be ok behaving that way but when it's turned on you, you get way bent out of shape. That happened last year so bad that you took your ball and went home only to tuck your tail between your legs and come back when the season was underway.

That's a whole lot of words that have nothing to do with the mods sharing the content of a report about you, with you.

I'm not crying myself to sleep over it, it's kind of funny and not that surprising but still.. Outstanding work, truly. 

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's a whole lot of words that have nothing to do with the mods sharing the content of a report about you, with you.

I'm not crying myself to sleep over it, it's kind of funny and not that surprising but still.. Outstanding work, truly. 

Cheers 🍻

25 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

[snip]

“… I troll you
You troll me
We both troll too easily
Too easily to let it show
I love you and that's all I know”

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Shaka makes the final cut I predict ...

IMG_20230507_155349.jpg

He's from a football family .

Ironhead, Cam, Connor and a few more..

Hes fast and his wrapup tacking is forceful..

Knock on him is he's a bit stiff on turnarounds and he's reactive instead of proactive on plays.

Hes very good on STs ..

Hes got a chance here..

l

4 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I thought the lyrics were from Barney the Dinosaur.

no :ninja:

Wow, the Barney song would have worked, too.  The Garfunkel song just popped in my head when reading Jamie’s comment.

7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Front office and staff earned respect you say..

Couldnt agree more..

Bengals are a SB contender this year under their helm..

Trust was earned for them..

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Eh, a lot of their sins are covered by Burrow. If we still had Dalton at QB, nobody would be talking about how great our roster is. You'd think they would make more effort to protect the franchise. 

I think they have made more effort to protect the franchise than you are willing to admit.  Last year it was Cappa, Karras, and Collins and this year they added Brown.  They’ve also drafted two WR to give him probably the best trio in the league to work with.  Burrow also benefits from having a strong defense that has carried the team at times.  It’s bad luck with the injury situation that ruined the end of last season.  No team in the league could survive losing 3 starters at OL, including both tackles.  The overall roster and quality on both sides of the ball is among the best in the NFL.  Saying otherwise is nonsense.  

On the one hand, we made it to the Super Bowl with Spain, Hopkins, Adeniji, and Prince starting on the O-line. On the other hand, the clock eventually struck midnight for that group. I'm glad they signed Brown and Karras and Cappa. And glad we have good receivers and Loudini. 

But we need a veteran backup IOL, ideally with C/G flexibility. Dalton Risner is probably the only option left at this point. And unless Carman has a great camp, we don't look to have a good, long term starting option at RT. At best Jonah is a 1 year patch. At worst, he gets regularly overrun and Burrow pays the price. Collins may or may not be available at the start of the year and may or may not be effective when available. Ford has some starting experience but wasn't very effective and is thus on a minimum salary contract. And we know Smith and Adeniji aren't the answer as starters. Instead of looking for Awuzie or Hendrickson's successors in the draft, we should have been looking to upgrade from Collins. 

Archived