Bates to Falcons .... Bell to Panthers

Bell & Bates  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish the Bengals had resigned Bell or Bates ?

• Just Bell
    • Just Bates
    • Both
    • Neither
  2. 2. Of these 3 players, which was the most important to keep ?

• Pratt
    • Bell
    • Bates
  3. 3. If it came down to Pratt or Bell, which would you have wanted to keep?

• Pratt, Bengals did right thing
    • Bell, he was bigger priority
  4. 4. Does this make S a major need now in the draft?

• Yes, Rd 1 or 2
    • Not really. BPA
    • I prefer we go to free agency to fix the S issue

12 hours ago, BengalBacker said:

Unless Burrow is one of those rare breeds who understands that once you reach a certain level of wealth, winning becomes the most important thing, and he works with the team to keep, and get the players that make winning happen. Otherwise burying him in money is just how the insanity of the business side of football works.

I think he is already that player. He doesn't strike me as the type to need to be the highest paid QB. I think winning is more important to him. He's going to get paid and very handsomely (as he should be), but I think he also wants to keep his buddies together. 

48 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

I think he is already that player. He doesn't strike me as the type to need to be the highest paid QB. I think winning is more important to him. He's going to get paid and very handsomely (as he should be), but I think he also wants to keep his buddies together. 

The Bengals will certainly give guaranteed money beyond the first year to Burrow as he is a QB - they did the same for Palmer and Dalton albeit on a smaller scale than this. As of now there appears to be no intention of doing this for any other position except QB. That has always been their policy.

So even though Burrow can still help the front office and himself out with the way his own extension gets structured, there is no reason to believe they will do the same for Higgins now and Chase down the line. Their agents will demand a huge amount of guaranteed money, and if they don't get it they will play out their current contracts and move on.

Makes for an interesting decision on how to handle Higgins. The front office could make their best/final offer to Higgins agent, and if he doesn't take it, they could move Higgins for a mid 1st round draft choice and they could help Burrow out that way. They could use the pick to draft another top WR/TE/OT/Bijan Robinson/etc rather than just let him walk away with only a possible 3rd round compensatory pick. If they draft well, they could flip another year or two of Higgins for 5 years of a cheaper player on a rookie contract.

2 hours ago, Shebengal said:

Iii dont believe its all about money for JB..

He wants to win..

I proposed a 10yr deal 500mil.

40mil per first 5 yrs..

60mil per last 5 yrs...

That would more than help the team 

thruout his career..

1 hour ago, dex said:

The Bengals will certainly give guaranteed money beyond the first year to Burrow as he is a QB - they did the same for Palmer and Dalton albeit on a smaller scale than this. As of now there appears to be no intention of doing this for any other position except QB. That has always been their policy.

So even though Burrow can still help the front office and himself out with the way his own extension gets structured, there is no reason to believe they will do the same for Higgins now and Chase down the line. Their agents will demand a huge amount of guaranteed money, and if they don't get it they will play out their current contracts and move on.

Makes for an interesting decision on how to handle Higgins. The front office could make their best/final offer to Higgins agent, and if he doesn't take it, they could move Higgins for a mid 1st round draft choice and they could help Burrow out that way. They could use the pick to draft another top WR/TE/OT/Bijan Robinson/etc rather than just let him walk away with only a possible 3rd round compensatory pick. If they draft well, they could flip another year or two of Higgins for 5 years of a cheaper player on a rookie contract.

Quite honestly I think Higgins will be paid with some guaranteed money that keeps him here..

JB Chase and Tee are the heart of playmaking.

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Quite honestly I think Higgins will be paid with some guaranteed money that keeps him here..

JB Chase and Tee are the heart of playmaking.

Maybe so. But it will require the Blackburns to do something they have never done before with WRs or any position other than QB. Guess we will see.

We need a veteran safety to replace Bell and a CB who can play a lot of snaps in case Awuzie isn't full speed by the start of the season. Plus some depth at CB. Re-signing Apple and Flowers would cover the position and mean we don't have to use an early pick at CB. 

I'm glad Jessie and Vonn got paid.  I'm gladder that someone else paid them for their excellent service to the Bengals.

Wish I could've kept them, but understanding the complicated dynamic of roster compensation, particularly with us having two superstars entering expensive renegotiations within the next 13 months, including our first bonafide franchise-making quarterback in team history, plus the concern that investing in an aging secondary might end up being a net negative in the long run, it's not surprising that getting these dudes back in stripes next year wasn't gonna happen.

I think we saw the writing on the wall when we had to tag Jessie last year.  He did what I think we all expected - stay away from camp, report just before the season began, and worked his ass off for Lou to either earn a raise here or audition for one elsewhere.  Vonn was exemplary this past season as well, playing in a contract year.  Now that both have secured guaranteed money from the Falcons and Panthers, I hope they do well there.

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

Different era yes..

The Blackburn women are showing that times have changed..

Like the Blackburns. They have changed many things to improve the organization, no argument there.

But the Vonn Bell contract is telling. I'm betting Cincinnati offered an overall amount package that was close to Carolina's. So why couldn't they get him to resign? Carolina and every other team knows what the Bengals front office's kryptonite is, it's not a secret. All you have to do to beat Cincinnati out for a player is make a competitive offer but with more than a fully guaranteed first year. Nothing outrageous, nothing close to fully guaranteed. Just enough to make their contract package more desirable to a FA player's agent than Cincinnati's. 

16 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The 102,000 inhabitants of Tonga (GDP $498million) will be in attendance to watch--provided they receive more than the 20.6 TV's per capita they currently have. 

Counting every screen in Tonga & not per household?  Need more info, or games simulcast in Tongan.

Ko hai!?

Ko hai?!

Ko hai ʻoku nau fakakaukau te ne taaʻi kinautolu Bengals?!

:icon15:

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Counting every screen in Tonga & not per household?  Need more info, or games simulcast in Tongan.

Ko hai!?

Ko hai?!

Ko hai ʻoku nau fakakaukau te ne taaʻi kinautolu Bengals?!

:icon15:

That’s great! I needed a laugh today. 😄

12 hours ago, Shebengal said:

My gut agrees with you, but my peripheral vision also sees a love of bling and flash that concerns me. I hope he outgrows that.

38 minutes ago, BengalBacker said:

My gut agrees with you, but my peripheral vision also sees a love of bling and flash that concerns me. I hope he outgrows that.

Bling and flash may not appeal to some but it does to many other fans..

He's young and is fashionable which endeares him to many even outside of Cincinnati...

He's Joe Cool and dresses the part..

Hes hurting noone ..

Let him be who he is..

13 hours ago, dex said:

Like the Blackburns. They have changed many things to improve the organization, no argument there.

But the Vonn Bell contract is telling. I'm betting Cincinnati offered an overall amount package that was close to Carolina's. So why couldn't they get him to resign? Carolina and every other team knows what the Bengals front office's kryptonite is, it's not a secret. All you have to do to beat Cincinnati out for a player is make a competitive offer but with more than a fully guaranteed first year. Nothing outrageous, nothing close to fully guaranteed. Just enough to make their contract package more desirable to a FA player's agent than Cincinnati's. 

This is true because the Bengals don't have deep pockets like most NFL owners, they're not liquid enough to go around paying hundreds of millions of dollars upfront every season like the owners who were billionaires before they bought the team. 

The Bengals are unique because just about every team was/is owned by family that their money in either legitimate or illegitimate business. The Brown family didn't acquire majority ownership of the Bengals until the 2000's.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

This is true because the Bengals don't have deep pockets like most NFL owners, they're not liquid enough to go around paying hundreds of millions of dollars upfront every season like the owners who were billionaires before they bought the team. 

The Bengals are unique because just about every team was/is owned by family that their money in either legitimate or illegitimate business. The Brown family didn't acquire majority ownership of the Bengals until the 2000's.

True, but the league allows teams to have a line of credit backed by the franchise value up to (I think ) $500M. I would think teams like ours and Green bay would utilize that for cash flow year to year. If they have not used it yet they likely will have to going forward.

Archived