Orlando Brown!

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

First off: this truly is a fantastic deal. It helps the offense immensely in the main area it is needed…the main area. 

However: other than likely meaning Mixon stays—and with it the glaring need to address the devalued RB position immediately—what has changed? The yawning gap in the deep secondary is still wide open. 

Of course, since it’s now only Day 2 of official FA, wait and see continues. 

What has changed? We have a 3 time probowl left tackle for the next 4 years. We majorly upgraded a spot that was a weakness.

And we always knew that Bates was gone, it's why we drafted Dax Hill. 

Last. Night when this happened I told Go I couldn't wait to wake-up and watch the people bitching to find a way to keep bitching that it would be hilarious.

So thank you for the laugh this morning 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

What has changed? We have a 3 time probowl left tackle for the next 4 years. We majorly upgraded a spot that was a weakness.

And we always knew that Bates was gone, it's why we drafted Dax Hill. 

Last. Night when this happened I told Go I couldn't wait to wake-up and watch the people bitching to find a way to keep bitching that it would be hilarious.

So thank you for the laugh this morning 

Why is healthy skepticism always “bitching” with you? I have seen enough of it from your keyboard over the years to recognize—and appreciate—it. 

A broken clock is correct twice a day. Bates was always a great bet to be gone. Bell wasn’t, and neither was Hurst. So excuse me if I would still be skeptical of the overall effectiveness of spot-starter Dax and/or whatever draft pick. Same at the TE position. I suppose being open about it goes against your groupthink principle, but that’s OK. 

For as much as it matters, when considering this signing, it is a great day to be a Bengal fan. Hope you have a great one too. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Why is healthy skepticism always “bitching” with you? I have seen enough of it from your keyboard over the years to recognize—and appreciate—it. 

A broken clock is correct twice a day. Bates was always a great bet to be gone. Bell wasn’t, and neither was Hurst. So excuse me if I would still be skeptical of the overall effectiveness of spot-starter Dax and/or whatever draft pick. Same at the TE position. I suppose being open about it goes against your groupthink principle, but that’s OK. 

For as much as it matters, when considering this signing, it is a great day to be a Bengal fan. Hope you have a great one too. 

Healthy skepticism is a "ok let's wait and see" what it feels like your doing is assuming Dax is not going to work out.

And I don't think the Bengals are done in FA.

So let's wait and see ;)

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, snarkster said:

I let him sit behind Jonah for a season (if need be) and then I bookend him with Brown for three years.

Don't see it for a first round OT, think Jonah doesn't move people enough to stick at RT. At best he may keep the seat warm for Collins. Ideally he backs up a new guy, Collins gets cut, & then maybe trade Jonah. Think I'd rather have Carman as a backup LT, I didn't see a lot of dropoff between the 2. I'd even try him at RT over Jonah. Seemed much more inclined to knock heads IMO. 

Anyway I've felt like PFF and plenty of others have been blowing smoke up my ass about Williams since he got here. Relieved that the team saw what I was seeing.

22 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Don't see it for a first round OT, think Jonah doesn't move people enough to stick at RT. At best he may keep the seat warm for Collins. Ideally he backs up a new guy, Collins gets cut, & then maybe trade Jonah. Think I'd rather have Carman as a backup LT, I didn't see a lot of dropoff between the 2. I'd even try him at RT over Jonah. Seemed much more inclined to knock heads IMO. 

Anyway I've felt like PFF and plenty of others have been blowing smoke up my ass about Williams since he got here. Relieved that the team saw what I was seeing.

Can't imagine many teams would want Williams at the salary he is going to make next season.  Can/do NFL teams keep salary in trades?  Can't say I remember hearing that they do.

9 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Ok. I’m going to say it. I think Orlando Brown Jr is a Top 3 RT but “only” a Top 15-20 LT. Don’t hate me. I think he’s really good, not great. I’m not trying to piss on the parade. I think this is still a terrific move. I just hope people aren’t expecting Orlando Pace.

This is such a crap take, considering he's only played LT for two seasons (at a Pro Bowl Super Bowl winning level) and is only 26 and can only project upwards.  This take assumes all things stay constant, which as is the case in any craft, will only improve with more repetition.  The Bengals in FA have been pretty adamant in paying players who are only projecting upwards (Reader, Hendrickson, Hilton, etc.).  I firmly believe this is the case here as well.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Can't imagine many teams would want Williams at the salary he is going to make next season.  Can/do NFL teams keep salary in trades?  Can't say I remember hearing that they do.

Yes, Bengals could pay part of Jonah's guaranteed salaray to facilitate a trade. They'd convert whatever amount they agreed to carry to a signing bonus, pay it, then trade him and the remaining salary to a new team.

I did something along those lines in a recent mock offseason. I traded up for Paris Johnson, then traded Jonah at a salary of 9 mil to the Commanders for a 5th round pick (which turned out to be Karl Brooks). 

Adding the new OBJ is a good move and they got him at a great price. It is a considerable upgrade to the O-line and fixes one of the tackle spots. They can now trade Jonah or cut Collins. Carman can be the backup this season and perhaps the future starter.

And they still should have re-signed Bell and Hurst for the deals they got from Carolina. Cutting Mixon and Collins would pay for those. 

This signing to me is quite interesting on many levels:

1. It shows the current players and fans (and prospective free agents) that this team wants to compete every year JB is at QB.

2. The nature of the contract creates more separation from the 'old' ways

3. It indicates the team realizes OL is still far more critical to the success than say TE and S (and I agree with that).

4. The contract is probably what Jonah WOULD have received, or something close to it, if he had developed into a more solid and dependable LT, so if your own pick does not develop, go find another one that did and sign that guy.

5. This signing creates a lot of options on the OL including keeping both Jonah and Collins - last two years have shown you cannot have enough lineman. This would be for one year only until the JB contract kicks in.

6. This opens up the draft completely- we don't have to force a pick at S or TE IMO, and we can still pick an OL high. And we could even pick a RB 9not my direction but we could do this) at pick 1. RB, TE, S are now just 'pieces' you have to fill in, not critical pieces. Even if the draft does not have any elite safeties , for example, that does not mean we don't have a solid prospect we can pick up in rounds 2 or later. 

7. We actually have some cap options now - depending on other free agents or the Tee/JB contracts we still have space we can create if need be - Collins, Mixon, etc.

I had a few other items in my head last night but cant remember them..