Jonah wants out

1 minute ago, westside bengal said:

I believe Eluemenor is staying with the Raiders.

Ah good call, looks like a report on that came out last night and I missed it.

I had kind of tuned out the OT market after the Brown signing but I guess a Williams trade would put us right back in. 

What options are even left at RT at this point?

Also worth noting that even though most assumed Cody Ford was signed as a backup OG, the Bengals announced his position as RT when they signed him.

Maybe it could be as simple as Ford, Collins, Carman and a draft pick all competing at RT 

28 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I'd be happy to see the Bengals trade Jonah Williams for some draft capital and to obtain cap space. Question is, who'd be willing to take on his $12 million contract and give up assets to do so? 

Im not sure even if the Bengals split the money with a team for Williams final year that you're going to find someone to trade for him.

27 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Question is, who'd be willing to take on his $12 million contract and give up assets to do so? 

I think you’d be surprised. There’s really only a handful of good LT’s in this league right now so I’m sure a guy with 47 career starts at the position will look pretty tempting to some team out there that thinks a change of scenery is all he needs. 

5 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Poor Jonah Williams.  I hope they can find someone dumb enough to trade assets for him.  To me it's an even worse look to immediately whine and want out instead of fighting for a job. 

I did bake Jonah a cake. 

GTFO Cake Pictures, Photos, and Images for Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, and  Twitter

I would like to sign the card too 😄

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Im not sure even if the Bengals split the money with a team for Williams final year that you're going to find someone to trade for him.

I would say I have an above average knowledge of the NFL's salary cap but, am by no stretch an expert. How does this work from a cap standpoint (if it were to occur)? I know in the NHL a team trading a player to another team can keep a portion of the cap to make it easier for another team to take on the player's existing contract and cap hit. It's actually a huge part of trades these days in that league and I find it weird and also confusing.

So, under the NFL cap structure, how does this work in your potential scenario? Do the Bengals split the payment for the contract and in turn split the cap hit accordingly? Or do they just split the payment and not the hit? Or, just the cap hit and not the payment? Not taking shots, I am legitimately asking as I have no clue how it works.

13 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I think you’d be surprised. There’s really only a handful of good LT’s in this league right now so I’m sure a guy with 47 career starts at the position will look pretty tempting to some team out there that thinks a change of scenery is all he needs. 

Hey, I hope I am surprised. It seems at the moment the Bengals are in a position of putting a square peg in a round hole with Williams. They are clearly moving in another direction at LT and needing to find a position to move him to, whether it be ROT or LOG and justifying his $12 million salary. Although trading him would obviously hurt their depth on the offensive line, getting $12 million back against the cap would be awesome.

7 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I would say I have an above average knowledge of the NFL's salary cap but, am by no stretch an expert. How does this work from a cap standpoint (if it were to occur)? I know in the NHL a team trading a player to another team can keep a portion of the cap to make it easier for another team to take on the player's existing contract and cap hit. It's actually a huge part of trades these days in that league and I find it weird and also confusing.

So, under the NFL cap structure, how does this work in your potential scenario? Do the Bengals split the payment for the contract and in turn split the cap hit accordingly? Or do they just split the payment and not the hit? Or, just the cap hit and not the payment? Not taking shots, I am legitimately asking as I have no clue how it works.

Not sure the exact mechanics. I'm guessing a roster bonus paid by the trading team and then the rest is converted to guaranteed salary to be paid by the acquiring team.

But I know it is possible and even pretty common when a guy has guaranteed money on the contract. Last offseason, the Browns picked up about $10M of Baker Mayfield's salary before trading him to Carolina. It was the exact same scenario as we are dealing with here as Cleveland had already picked up his 5th year option so his 2022 salary was guaranteed. 

Just now, westside bengal said:

I think there are several scenarios about the financials that could be worked out but it really comes down to one of two scenarios....how desperate does a team want to get rid of the player or how much does a team want to acquire the player?

I doubt we are desperate to get rid of him. At worst he is a great back up, expensive, but a great back up. And if he wants a starting job in the future he needs to play so he should embarce the RT role for one year. 

I'm fine with a trade, maybe just to move up a few spots (or more depending on round) instead of a draft pick. I don't see him doing well at guard considering his strength is one of the knocks against him.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

To me it's an even worse look to immediately whine and want out instead of fighting for a job. 

Are you serious? The guy is a left tackle. His position was just sold off. Why not ask early to go elsewhere where he can play at the position he is best suited for? It helps both sides actually. 

And, if it is to be that he remains on the roster, the guy who has played through two kneecap dislocations will certainly give it his best and with the courage he has already shown. 

Why would you think it different? 

Archived