Jonah wants out

6 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Are you serious? The guy is a left tackle. His position was just sold off. Why not ask early to go elsewhere where he can play at the position he is best suited for? 

And, if it is to be that he remains on the roster, the guy who has played through two kneecap dislocations will certainly give it his best and with the courage to prove internet complainers of his “weakness in whining for a trade” to be completely full of shit. 

Agree with all of this. Not going to knock Jonah and his agent for going this route. The transition from LT to RT (or vice versa) is nowhere near as easy as a lot of people seem to think and I don't blame Williams for not wanting to do that in a contract year. 

14 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Agree with all of this. Not going to knock Jonah and his agent for going this route. The transition from LT to RT (or vice versa) is nowhere near as easy as a lot of people seem to think and I don't blame Williams for not wanting to do that in a contract year. 

Except the agent should have probably tried to keep this quite. Mike Brown may step in here and get stubborn which helps no one. The agent should have told the team they would be 'open' to a trade and willing to facilitae if necessary.

And the player has to be realistic - he should know he may think he is a starting LT but his play has been in the bottom third in the league at that position so he has little to no leverage. The team will have no trouble eating his salalry even if he is the backup swing tackle. 

Jonah isn't worthy to wash Orlando Brown's jockstrap, so if he wants to be a whiny little bitch and take his ball and go home, then ship his ass off and get assets or draft picks. 

He wasn't worth where he was picked and has underachieved his entire career. His arms were always too short for LT (draft analysts warned about this). Plus he's on the shorter side and not broad. He's really a LG probably, if that, but built more like a C. 

With the fifth year option having been picked up, with the contact being guaranteed, is it even possible to negotiate a new contract?

…Jonah, Bengals, and Jets (or whoever) agree to an X-year contact for $Y-million a year…with an agreed upon draft pick/player in trade…???    :shrug: 

15 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Jonah isn't worthy to wash Orlando Brown's jockstrap, so if he wants to be a whiny little bitch and take his ball and go home, then ship his ass off and get assets or draft picks. 

He wasn't worth where he was picked and has underachieved his entire career. His arms were always too short for LT (draft analysts warned about this). Plus he's on the shorter side and not broad. He's really a LG probably, if that, but built more like a C. 

Look at BJ bringing the heat on Jonah"T-Rex" Williams...he's all over him like a spider monkey...fuck that guy and his busted kneecaps..amirite???

Seriously though, have some empathy BJ...he did his best, fought through a brutal injury, and was rewarded with getting demoted...that's gotta sting. These players are human, it's normal for Jonah to react like this. 

On 3/17/2023 at 1:10 PM, BlackJesus said:

Totally agree here I'll give him credit for playing though sublexed knee caps as my son had one back in January playing hockey and the swelling is immense as is the pain 6 weeks for swelling to subside

22 minutes ago, Cricket said:

With the fifth year option having been picked up, with the contact being guaranteed, is it even possible to negotiate a new contract?

…Jonah, Bengals, and Jets (or whoever) agree to an X-year contact for $Y-million a year…with an agreed upon draft pick/player in trade…???    :shrug: 

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I would say I have an above average knowledge of the NFL's salary cap but, am by no stretch an expert. How does this work from a cap standpoint (if it were to occur)? I know in the NHL a team trading a player to another team can keep a portion of the cap to make it easier for another team to take on the player's existing contract and cap hit. It's actually a huge part of trades these days in that league and I find it weird and also confusing.

So, under the NFL cap structure, how does this work in your potential scenario? Do the Bengals split the payment for the contract and in turn split the cap hit accordingly? Or do they just split the payment and not the hit? Or, just the cap hit and not the payment? Not taking shots, I am legitimately asking as I have no clue how it works.

This would be a straightforward situation. The Bengals and new team agree on how much of Jonah's salary the Bengals will keep. Say the Bengals are picking up 4 mil. They sign him to a 1 year deal with a 4 mil signing bonus and 8.604 mil salary. They pay the signing bonus then trade him and his now 8.604 mil salary to the new team. Bengals gain 8.604 mil in cap space.  It could be a little more complex if the acquiring team wants to sign Jonah to an extension that drops his cap number. If the Bengals aren't picking up any of his salary, Jonah and the new team would sign a new contract after the trade. If they want the Bengals to pick up some of the cost, the Bengals would have to sign him to the terms his new team negotiated then trade him. But if the other team backed out, it would hose us. So it requires some trust. Players are only supposed to be able to revise their contracts once a year.

5 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I'd be happy to see the Bengals trade Jonah Williams for some draft capital and to obtain cap space. Question is, who'd be willing to take on his $12 million contract and give up assets to do so? 

Have you watched some of the signings by teams so far?

Just insane ..

Someone will want him to fill put their oline especially one with  cap space .

5 hours ago, happyrid said:

Ah good call, looks like a report on that came out last night and I missed it.

I had kind of tuned out the OT market after the Brown signing but I guess a Williams trade would put us right back in. 

What options are even left at RT at this point?

Collins if healthy. which I have doubts about.

Who knows they might think Ford could be that option..

Theres allways "Mr. Standby" Addeniji

Then there's Dewand Jones ... 😎

sad to see all of disrespect here, 

he asked for a trade so he could continue starting and we only hear that through "sources" 

he isnt out on media running his mouth over how he was treated bad , 

yet his replacement , the head coach, his position coach is actually out bragging on how he has lost his job.

if your employer , your boss and you manager did that with you you'd probably start looking for another job too

only difference is they  have you under contract  , it may be for alot of money but it was done with out any say on your part. 

so you have to ask for their permission .

he has to report, and do whatever they say,

and still hasnt cried to the media. 

so get off his ass, 

I agree a change of scenery would be good for him.. Like, say, a golf course?

That's impressive that he played hurt but the thing is, he was almost always hurt. Also he wasn't very good when he wasn't hurt. 

Hopefully someone is willing to eat his salary in a trade but I don't expect teams to be beating down our door for him.

24 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

If your employer , your boss and you manager did that with you 

If my employer guaranteed me 12 million dollars to do my job on a sub-par level for 4 months, but then found someone better and still said they would pay me but I just had to work in a different cubicle on the other side of the office, I would thank my lucky stars. I would even offer to get the new guy coffee every morning just to show I'm worth something. 

He should be grateful to the Bengals for paying him like he's at the top of his craft, when he isn't. A good teammate would also move to RT. He clearly isn't. 

23 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

If my employer guaranteed me 12 million dollars to do my job on a sub-par level for 4 months, but then found someone better and still said they would pay me but I just had to work in a different cubicle on the other side of the office, I would thank my lucky stars. I would even offer to get the new guy coffee every morning just to show I'm worth something. 

He should be grateful to the Bengals for paying him like he's at the top of his craft, when he isn't. A good teammate would also move to RT. He clearly isn't. 

if you had any passion for your work and or respect for yourself , you would want to do the best you could, and you only have from now to maybe 5 years to work, and  at any time you could have an injury and be out of work .  this is his contract year, i am sure he wants to do his best so he isnt playing for league min next year , if he is even healthy enough to play.

so as you say you would go to the cubical and get coffee, but then you still have to do quality work or after this year...  your next job pay will be based on your performance this year. but you now have to work on a keypad that all the keys are opposite. (the upper left keys are . poiuytrewq and etc)  to what you've done for the last 4 years, and you have to write documents out with your other hand,

yes you can do it, but your work performance will be way below what you could do regularly, 

now Jonah has not said he wouldnt do whatever they asked.

it has only been said he would like to be traded, and that is being reported by "sources"

and for the record i am stoked about Brown coming 

i just say lets get off Jonahs ass a little and maybe show some class, 

he was the best we had for the last 4 years . 

he played hurt

this kick them while they're down attitude is a bit disrespectful 

it is not his fault the bengals took his 5th year option

so dont dog him about the 12 mil he gets this year,

22 hours ago, happyrid said:

Jonah, however, does have history at RT.  Played 15 of his 44 games at Alabama at RT.

Archived