Jonah wants out

If another team wants to take on Jonah's salary, I'd expect he'll be traded. He's not a great fit at RT and the Collins/Carman combo is adequate. I also wouldn't be surprised if the team used an early draft pick on a RT and let Collins go as well. It frees up 19 mil in cap space to move on from both Jonah and Lael. That's a significant contribution toward the Burrow (or more likely Higgins) extensions.

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He's (JW) not a great fit at RT and the Collins/Carman combo is adequate.

Definitely agree with the first part but have my doubts about either of the remaining guys being capable. Think Ford is now in the mix there as a plan C or D with the hope being they land a starter in the draft that will outperform all of them in TC.

Sure is nice to have some options though, ain't it?

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Both Washington and Jones might be available at 28 but neither is likely to be on the board at 60. We'd have to move up in round 2 to get the other one. 

I agree and would totally be on board with that, imagine those big monsters protecting the edges in pass pro and coming down hill on run plays....me likey...

I would trade back and take Jones then trade up to take Washington...

19 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If another team wants to take on Jonah's salary, I'd expect he'll be traded. He's not a great fit at RT and the Collins/Carman combo is adequate. I also wouldn't be surprised if the team used an early draft pick on a RT and let Collins go as well. It frees up 19 mil in cap space to move on from both Jonah and Lael. That's a significant contribution toward the Burrow (or more likely Higgins) extensions.

I am not at all confident in that.  Don't trust either of those guys and neither should the Bengals.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

When we sign extentions for Higgins/Burrow though - the cap hit kicks in in 2024 does it not?

Their signing bonuses will be prorated over the first 5 years so 1/5th will hit the cap for 2023. So if Burrow gets a 50 mil signing bonus, then his 2023 cap number will increase by 10 mil, other things being equal. There are ways to avoid that and work around it if desired. 

46 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

In other words, we are stuck with a 12 Million Dollar Injury Prone Backup 

No..

Bengals wont demand a second..

A 3rd would be good along with his salary off the books...

To rid themselves of Williams and Collins contracts would give them space for Tee Higgins signing.

That should be their goal thru all this..

Would you rather have Williams/Collins or Higgins for the future?...

Yeah, Bengals shouldn't be inflexible here. Maybe offer to pay some of Jonah's salary if we get a better draft pick. Let him negotiate an extension with his preferred destination, etc. Let's move things along and part amicably. The cap relief is the main thing and the pick is gravy.

If we trade Jonah, draft a RT and RB early and cut Collins and Mixon, we'd have freed up over 26 mil in cap space to add to our current 17 mil. That's probably enough to re-sign Apple, Flowers, Moreau, and extend Burrow, Higgins, and Wilson. 

53 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, Bengals shouldn't be inflexible here. Maybe offer to pay some of Jonah's salary if we get a better draft pick. Let him negotiate an extension with his preferred destination, etc. Let's move things along and part amicably. The cap relief is the main thing and the pick is gravy.

If we trade Jonah, draft a RT and RB early and cut Collins and Mixon, we'd have freed up over 26 mil in cap space to add to our current 17 mil. That's probably enough to re-sign Apple, Flowers, Moreau, and extend Burrow, Higgins, and Wilson. 

Yeah I'd consider paying some of the salary for a higher pick as well. 

I’m on board with moving Jonah for a Day 2 pick.  Possibly a 3rd that could become a 2nd based off performance/playing time.  It could also require the Bengals to pick up part of his salary, like the Texans just did in trading Cooks.  It would be a win/win for Jonah and the team.  With Brown at LT, I actually think a draft pick and extra cap space would be more valuable than keeping him.  

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I’m on board with moving Jonah for a Day 2 pick.  Possibly a 3rd that could become a 2nd based off performance/playing time…

Hopefully it’s a pick in the 2023 draft.  

A pick that can change based upon performance/playing time would have to be in the 2024 draft.  

Archived