Jonah wants out

36 minutes ago, gupps said:

I can't vouch for this guy but I hope his info is good.

Have we heard it from anywhere else that the Bengals “won’t take less than a first-round AND a second-round pick for Jonah Williams”?  

That just seems so absolutely ridiculous…that I have a hard time thinking that even the Bengals would say that.  

:shrug: 

22 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Have we heard it from anywhere else that the Bengals “won’t take less than a first-round AND a second-round pick for Jonah Williams”?  

That just seems so absolutely ridiculous…that I have a hard time thinking that even the Bengals would say that.  

Meaning they have no intention of trading him but now he can't complain. What's he going to say, "I suck, that's not a realistic offer" ?

I was concentrating more on what he said about Carman rather than a Williams trade. I STILL think the best way forward to trade Jonah would be to move up in a round rather then outright picks.

3 hours ago, gupps said:

I was concentrating more on what he said about Carman rather than a Williams trade. I STILL think the best way forward to trade Jonah would be to move up in a round rather then outright picks.

Agree... my dream scenario would be to trade Jonah and our second round pick to move up.

Maybe get a lower round pick, but if not... just move up and take his replacement for the right side in the second.

And get rid of Joe Sixgun for another few bucks in the Tee Higgins re-signing pot.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Agree... my dream scenario would be to trade Jonah and our second round pick to move up.

Maybe get a lower round pick, but if not... just move up and take his replacement for the right side in the second.

And get rid of Joe Sixgun for another few bucks in the Tee Higgins re-signing pot.

I don't think even the Bengals believe they will get a second for Williams at this point. I think they may just hold on to him until training camp and see if someone has a need then and maybe squeeze a little more out of his value for next draft.

17 hours ago, Cricket said:

A few seconds later he says first or second round pick. So not quite as ridiculous but still pretty steep. 

10 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

A few seconds later he says first or second round pick. So not quite as ridiculous but still pretty steep. 

I could see a 2nd if he still had a couple of years left on the contract. Steep for a guy in his balloon year that's a borderline starter. 

Conditional pick that lands somewhere between 2 and 4 seems reasonable.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I could see a 2nd if he still had a couple of years left on the contract. Steep for a guy in his balloon year that's a borderline starter. 

Conditional pick that lands somewhere between 2 and 4 seems reasonable.

Conditional based upon what?  If it’s based upon what Jonah does for his new team this Fall/Winter, then you’re talking about a 2024 draft pick.  “Next year’s” picks have much less value, per the trade value sheet developed by the. Cowboys. 

23 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Conditional based upon what?  If it’s based upon what Jonah does for his new team this Fall/Winter, then you’re talking about a 2024 draft pick.  “Next year’s” picks have much less value, per the trade value sheet developed by the. Cowboys. 

I think that's the most likely trade scenario, yeah. They'll wait to see how the draft shakes out or I guess if Collins can play then make a decision based on that. Seems reasonable.

What I don't want is them passing on an RT in the draft just because Collins feels well enough to gas himself up in an interview.

My mindset would be we don't have a starting RT right now, but IDK if they see it that way. Wouldn't be the first time Happy Thoughts was penciled in to the starting roster.

3 hours ago, membengal said:

He has not said he won't play RT. No one has said that he's said that. There is no reason to think he won't show up and work at RT at mandatory camps and in August. He has, literally, 12.6 million reasons to do so. 

Agreed, think he will end up reporting. Probably pissed but...his abilities as a LT has left much to be desired. Is the dropoff from being a LT to a RT that much in the free agency department?

If he’s so upset about it, then come back and beat out Orlando Brown for LT. show up and be so jaw droppingly good that they look stupid moving him instead of the other guy. 

if he can’t be motivated by 12+ million plus increasing what he will make in the next contract, then maybe the team is right.

Williams is a competitor. This is his contract year. Time for him to show out and it’s what I expect him to do. He posted a video of himself postop. Doesn’t seem like he’s been dragging the team through the mud publicly. The media guys and his agent have their own jobs and priorities. Seems like most of this is being driven from them. 

5 hours ago, membengal said:

He has not said he won't play RT. No one has said that he's said that. There is no reason to think he won't show up and work at RT at mandatory camps and in August. He has, literally, 12.6 million reasons to do so. 

He's asked to be traded when he knows the starting RT may not be healthy for week one (if ever) & hasn't impressed anyone when he did take the field.

Kind of the same thing.

A question to Albert Breer today and his answer is of some interest maybe...

From Alex Sullivan (@Alex_Sullivan11): Are the Bengals still shopping Jonah Williams?

Alex, they’re not. And if they weren’t going to do it before the draft, my feeling is they won’t do it at all. To me, there are teams (like, say, New England) that could really use him. But unless you’re talking about giving Cincinnati a second-round pick for Williams, it doesn’t make sense for the Bengals to move him, because if he plays well for them in the fall, they’ll get that year of service from him at a trouble spot (and insurance on La’el Collins working his way back from a torn ACL), and potentially a third- or fourth-round comp pick in 2025.

As for where Williams is at, he’s still rehabbing from knee surgery out in California. He’s close to being ready to do football drills, and while there’d be some question as to when he’ll be fully cleared for actual full-contact work, he’s certainly expecting to be full go for training camp. His plan, for now, is to go to Ohio for the mandatory stuff—starting with the full-squad minicamp next month. And the Bengals expect to have him, for the time being, in there as their starting right tackle, opposite newcomer Orlando Brown Jr.

A number of factors played into Williams’s trade request, with the position switch (from left tackle to right) being one and the lack of communication from the team on that switch before signing Brown to a big free-agent deal. For what it’s worth, I do think Williams is in a little better place with the team now than he was a month ago, and I think the Bengals will get a good year out of him, assuming no one comes in and throws big capital at Cincinnati (which could happen if there’s an injury with another team) to get him.

13 minutes ago, membengal said:

There's some stuff in there that really points to Jonah being here and ready for RT.

There's some stuff in there that makes me wonder how they're comfortable going into TC with Carman and Ford as the only healthy RT candidates.  I guess I didn't realize Jonah is also still rehabbing a knee injury? Of course no one was offering much in trade, he must be joking.

If the only other competition in camp is Cody Ford I have to say I like Carman's chances.  Also, yikes.

He had surgery on the kneecap issue that caused him to miss the AFC title game.  He is on course to be cleared and ready by camp. And will be here in June for mandatories. Doesn't sound like a guy looking to fuck over his teammates or the organization. 

Archived