28 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bengals sign Zeke ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is Zeke better than Mixon?

• Yes
    • No
    • Same
  3. 3. If Zeke came here, what to do with Mixon?

• Cut him
    • Restructure and have both
    • Just leave his contract as is
    • I don't want either of these bums!
  4. 4. Your thoughts on Zeke coming here

• Excited! Feed me!
    • Eh. I guess we do need a RB
    • No thanks. We already have one guy who can't hit the hole
    • I will without judgement and be hopelessly optimistic
    • I'm mixed but I trust Shiesty can make anyone better

25 minutes ago, membengal said:

again, IF this were to happen, he likely is replacing the Perine role in the offense - and I would push back against "hard pass" sentiments in that happenstance. Zeke does what Perine did, and arguably a better pass catcher. I would have no issues with it for the right price (assuming cheap). 

This is where I am at. I think Zeke is going to have to settle for $3M or something in that range, similar to what Perine got.

Swapping him in for Mixon saves the team around $7M.

It is a young man's position. I'll be very surprised if we do not take an RB in the second or third round with the idea that they are the go-to option by the time the playoffs roll around. 

We saw KC make this formula work last year. Solid veteran in McKinnon who could pass block and catch passes. Rookie RB in Pacheco to bring some juice as a runner. 

PFF has him as the #105 overall prospect. He played 2020 at RT and the last 2 years at LT. He is 6'8'' and weighs 302. Despite the 105 ranking they have him projected for round 5

Where he wins: Feet

Looking at how tall Freeland is, you wouldn’t expect him to be as spry as he plays on tape. He could have very easily been a five-fouls-a-game post-defender in another life.

What’s his role: Swing tackle/outside zone scheme

Asking Freeland to deuce block three-techniques a dozen times a game is a fool’s errand. He’s at his best on the move or in space and should go to a scheme that matches that skill set. And you’re not kicking him inside.

What can he Improve: Play strength

You can tell this simply by looking at him. Freeland has to add mass throughout his frame. At his height, he ideally should get up to at least the 320 range.

Edit - PFN has him ranked #75 overall

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

PFF has him as the #105 overall prospect. He played 2020 at RT and the last 2 years at LT. He is 6'8'' and weighs 302. Despite the 105 ranking they have him projected for round 5

Where he wins: Feet

Looking at how tall Freeland is, you wouldn’t expect him to be as spry as he plays on tape. He could have very easily been a five-fouls-a-game post-defender in another life.

What’s his role: Swing tackle/outside zone scheme

Asking Freeland to deuce block three-techniques a dozen times a game is a fool’s errand. He’s at his best on the move or in space and should go to a scheme that matches that skill set. And you’re not kicking him inside.

What can he Improve: Play strength

You can tell this simply by looking at him. Freeland has to add mass throughout his frame. At his height, he ideally should get up to at least the 320 range.

Edit - PFN has him ranked #75 overall

Thanks for the research, I.C.

Let me try to sell a few on the reason Zeke brings value. I am of the school of never underestimate the power of a good veteran player. If you go out and look at Marcus Allen who played 1982-1997 and what he was doing at 37 when he retired with the chiefs, he was never flashy with a lot of yards but he could find the whole better than anyone and he could block. He only topped 1000 yards 3 times early in his career but ALWAYS had that special sauce that contributed to winning. He will make anyone better around him including any rookie or Mixon if he remains on the team. For 3-5 million its a great investment. I see Zeke as our Marcus Allen and could help push the running back room to be better. I only saw 1 game last year where Mixon was in beast mode and I'm sure it was not all his fault. To me, this move puts us in a better place to be competitive and win a championship and that's all that matters at this point. Depth and experience are what will put us over the top (finally).

And for those who say he had a bad year last year.....starting 15 games for 876 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2022 doesn't sound bad to me. There is some tread left there regardless of what's being said. He has been over or on the cusp of 1000 yards ever year. Mixon was at 814 and 7 TDs in 2022.  Not sure why there is so much adversity to bringing in some veteran depth at a reasonable cost.   

1 hour ago, Slag911 said:

And for those who say he had a bad year last year.....starting 15 games for 876 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2022 doesn't sound bad to me. There is some tread left there regardless of what's being said. He has been over or on the cusp of 1000 yards ever year. Mixon was at 814 and 7 TDs in 2022.  Not sure why there is so much adversity to bringing in some veteran depth at a reasonable cost.   

I don't think it's adversity to Zeke as much as it's indifference. My opinion is he could be a good pickup if it's cheap. I don't think he'll do that, and the main reason it'd be a good pickup is the money we could save cutting Mixon. I wouldn't like keeping both, they're too similar. If you factor Zeke's reception yards last year (92), he had 968 all purpose yards with 12 touchdowns. Tony Pollard rushed for over a thousand, with 1,378 all purpose yards and 12 touchdowns. Who's going to be our Tony Pollard? There's a lot of question marks, but definitely hope moving forward. Orlando Brown's addition made us all giddy, but there's still the issue of how we add/juggle the rest of the o line. I'd love to believe adding Zeke could be the missing piece (I want to believe anything that'll FINALLY get us that elusive first Lombardi), but in my heart I don't. From what I've seen he hasn't shown nearly the character or leadership traits that Marcus Allen had as a veteran either.

19 hours ago, Slag911 said:

Let me try to sell a few on the reason Zeke brings value. I am of the school of never underestimate the power of a good veteran player. If you go out and look at Marcus Allen who played 1982-1997 and what he was doing at 37 when he retired with the chiefs, he was never flashy with a lot of yards but he could find the whole better than anyone and he could block. He only topped 1000 yards 3 times early in his career but ALWAYS had that special sauce that contributed to winning. He will make anyone better around him including any rookie or Mixon if he remains on the team. For 3-5 million its a great investment. I see Zeke as our Marcus Allen and could help push the running back room to be better. I only saw 1 game last year where Mixon was in beast mode and I'm sure it was not all his fault. To me, this move puts us in a better place to be competitive and win a championship and that's all that matters at this point. Depth and experience are what will put us over the top (finally).

Put him on a prove it deal..

Hes had suceess in the past.

This is now ..

On this team with him giving all out he could be a gem of a sign..

Wishful thinking maybe..

Archived