Bengals 2023 OTA portion of off-season stuff

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

Carman is still just, what, 23? He came in so young - there is still room to hope the light has come on. Maybe spending a year with Karras and Cappa, for instance, has helped with some maturity in approach...

Could be. Could also be the fact that he was benched for a 4th round rookie that woke him up.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Could be. Could also be the fact that he was benched for a 4th round rookie that woke him up.

Maybe, I suppose. Given how his rookie year ended, I would have thought that would be a wake-up call, but...

In any event, I do really think Karras and Cappa make a difference in that room in terms of real leadership. It was an issue before they arrived with regard to the o-line...

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think they will if they get what they want out of the draft, otherwise I'm not so sure.

Realistically what is the trade value of a $12m borderline average at best OT ? I'd take the top offer out there just to get him out of my locker room and off the books. Other teams don't care that he was an 11th overall pick & went to the Alexander Academy of Ketchup Wizardry. 

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Realistically what is the trade value of a $12m borderline average at best OT ? I'd take the top offer out there just to get him out of my locker room and off the books. Other teams don't care that he was an 11th overall pick & went to the Alexander Academy of Ketchup Wizardry. 

Bengals wont give him up for just anything. You know that.

22 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

No, but I also know they can overvalue their own based on draft position when the player isn't very good. There are worse LTs out there starting so he has some value but with his price tag and a one year contract..  I suspect they have unrealistic expectations, if they do intend to trade him. It wouldn't shock me to see them let him ride the bench all year just to prove a point either. Brown could twist his ankle in a gopher hole tomorrow and Jonah's right back where he started.

26 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

This is probably true but I also think there is a real chance that the Bengals just want the money off the books. I personally wouldn't be surprised at any of the following outcomes when it comes to Jonah:

• Keep him and force him to play RT.
  • Trade him for a day 2 pick.
  • Trade him for a very late round pick just to clear cap space. 

The team is entering into a cash and cap space crunch unlike anything they've dealt with in the past. They seem to want to keep Higgins, Burrow, and Chase together long-term. They are paying each of their starting DL more than $10M per year. They are investing in the OL with Brown, Karras, and Kappa making a combined $30M per year over the next couple years. 

There is serious value in clearing the $12M of cap space owed to Jonah to help get extensions done with guys like Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, Reader, etc. and to make any late moves to improve the current roster. 

12 minutes ago, happyrid said:

This is probably true but I also think there is a real chance that the Bengals just want the money off the books. I personally wouldn't be surprised at any of the following outcomes when it comes to Jonah:

• Keep him and force him to play RT.
  • Trade him for a day 2 pick.
  • Trade him for a very late round pick just to clear cap space. 

The team is entering into a cash and cap space crunch unlike anything they've dealt with in the past. They seem to want to keep Higgins, Burrow, and Chase together long-term. They are paying each of their starting DL more than $10M per year. They are investing in the OL with Brown, Karras, and Kappa making a combined $30M per year over the next couple years. 

There is serious value in clearing the $12M of cap space owed to Jonah to help get extensions done with guys like Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, Reader, etc. and to make any late moves to improve the current roster. 

Best case scenario is we get an RT in the first two rounds that another team is still in need of a Tackle that we can trade him to. 

I would be very surprised if they trade him for a late round pick. I think 4th round would be lowest the go, if they can't find any takers he will be here.

43 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Best case scenario is we get an RT in the first two rounds that another team is still in need of a Tackle that we can trade him to. 

I would be very surprised if they trade him for a late round pick. I think 4th round would be lowest the go, if they can't find any takers he will be here.

This is where we disagree. Either they keep him because they plan to start him at RT all year or they trade him for whatever they can get.

They aren't going to keep him and pay $12M to a backup just because the best offer is a 6th rounder and they want a 4th. 

I personally think/hope the market should be a 3rd or 4th rounder but if it is less than that, they aren't in a position to play hardball if Jonah isn't in the plans as a starter.

21 minutes ago, happyrid said:

This is where we disagree. Either they keep him because they plan to start him at RT all year or they trade him for whatever they can get.

They aren't going to keep him and pay $12M to a backup just because the best offer is a 6th rounder and they want a 4th. 

I personally think/hope the market should be a 3rd or 4th rounder but if it is less than that, they aren't in a position to play hardball if Jonah isn't in the plans as a starter.

That's what I mean, if he is here he will be starting. But they wont take less than a 4th rounder imo. They value their players, it's always been this way. I'd bet againt them just taking any deal.

Archived