Bengals 2023 OTA portion of off-season stuff

40 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The play action stuff has me geeking. Hopefully the O-line holds and it can be peppered into the O more consistently, that could transform the O to levels that could make things very difficult for any team we face.

The only way that play action will work is if the team can prove it can run the ball more effectively. Otherwise, defenses will continue to concentrate almost exclusively on defending the pass by just ignoring the play fake.

3 minutes ago, dex said:

The only way that play action will work is if the team can prove it can run the ball more effectively. Otherwise, defenses will continue to concentrate almost exclusively on defending the pass by just ignoring the play fake.

Same improvement in o-line in terms of consistency will help with that. 

19 minutes ago, dex said:

Alot of that hindges on the Oline being able to sustain blocks long enough to not get either Joe killed. That was the problem last year and why we transitioned to more shotgun than we had ran in the past.

19 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Was watching the Bills playoff game and both he and Perine ran pretty hard. 

That & Carolina were his only 100+ yard rushing games.  Had a few good ones catching the ball but also 3 YPC or less in about half of the games. 2.4 in the AFCC against the Chiefs..

I do think a lot of that was the OL but most of the time he didn't look good either.  Not sure coasting along then turning it on for one playoff game is that much better. Plus all the gun stuff going on..  Maybe it's all in his head but something ain't right.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That & Carolina were his only 100+ yard games.  I do think a lot of that was the OL but most of the time he didn't look good either.  Not sure coasting along then turning it on for one playoff game is that much better. Plus all the gun stuff going on..  Maybe it's all in his head but something ain't right.

To be fair, even when Joe was out hurt Perine only had one 100 yard game against the Chiefs.

The running game last year wasn't just on Joe's shoulders.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

To be fair, even when Joe was out hurt Perine only had one 100 yard game against the Chiefs.

That's the only game where had 20+ carries.  He had a higher season YPC than Mixon even with several games where he had one run.

10 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Gotta say it... are these guys throwing signs?

Not sure if it is what he is aiming for but I do know Tee's is the European version of the finger but...

Ja'Marr's is a little too intricate to be meaningless.

It's just a W, you know as in "Win"? Everybody does that shit, it's not just for Compton or 1988 anymore. Or maybe he's down with the Westchester, IDK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKTDRqQtPO8

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's the only game where had 20+ carries.  He had a higher season YPC than Mixon even with several games where he had one run.

I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from that. Kenny Watson had a higher YPC than Rudi Johnson in both 2006 and 2007. I don't think either one of us would consider Kenny Watson better than Rudi Johnson.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from that. Kenny Watson had a higher YPC than Rudi Johnson in both 2006 and 2007. I don't think either one of us would consider Kenny Watson better than Rudi Johnson.

LOL... Kenny Watson would show up at the live radio broadcasts from different bars, etc the day(s) after a game and make himself part of the program talking about how great he was, injury updates, etc.  What a tool.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Joe Mixon had 24 and 27 carry games where he gained 61 and 82 yards.  The only time Perine got 20+ he went for 105.

So yeah some of Joe's issues were the OL and some were maybe the plays being called but there were a lot of games where he didn't do shit. Some of it was also on him.

Mixon got benched for the 2nd half of the AFCCG because he can't pass protect. It would have been nice to have Perine back but we need one of Williams, Evans, or Brown to step up in pass blocking since Mixon would get Burrow killed on 3rd down throws. 

Archived