Bengals 2023 OTA portion of off-season stuff

17 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Mixon got benched for the 2nd half of the AFCCG because he can't pass protect. It would have been nice to have Perine back but we need one of Williams, Evans, or Brown to step up in pass blocking since Mixon would get Burrow killed on 3rd down throws. 

Yeah IDK how a guy that can't/won't block even has a starting job in the NFL.  Crazy.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Alot of that hindges on the Oline being able to sustain blocks long enough to not get either Joe killed. That was the problem last year and why we transitioned to more shotgun than we had ran in the past.

Before the start of training camp last year, I feel like the plan was always to run most of the plays out of shotgun. What changed was Burrow's very serious appendix surgery where he lost something like 20 pounds. So they were forced to keep Burrow behind center early on in order to protect him until he was fully healthy, just as they had to do the previous year when he was recovering from very serious knee surgery.

If Burrow is finally fully healthy for an opening day, I expect the Bengals to continue with their heavy downhill gap/shotgun scheme that they went on a big tear with in November and December. Still remember that great pre-draft podcast where Brian Callahan emphasized that they are a passing team first and foremost.

55 minutes ago, dex said:

Before the start of training camp last year, I feel like the plan was always to run most of the plays out of shotgun. What changed was Burrow's very serious appendix surgery where he lost something like 20 pounds. So they were forced to keep Burrow behind center early on in order to protect him until he was fully healthy, just as they had to do the previous year when he was recovering from very serious knee surgery.

If Burrow is finally fully healthy for an opening day, I expect the Bengals to continue with their heavy downhill gap/shotgun scheme that they went on a big tear with in November and December. Still remember that great pre-draft podcast where Brian Callahan emphasized that they are a passing team first and foremost.

Don't mind at all that they're a passing team first and foremost. I sometimes do mind when they're also a passing team 2nd and inches.

31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Don't mind at all that they're a passing team first and foremost. I sometimes do mind when they're also a passing team 2nd and inches.

A lot of teams like to throw on 2nd and inches. Consider it almost like a free play.

2 hours ago, dex said:

There was an article floating around that showed when they change early in the season and how Burrow and the O adapted because they were not having the same success they had the previous year with the big plays to Tee and Jamar, because teams played a lot more cover 2. It happened more early in the season than before it.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

There was an article floating around that showed when they change early in the season and how Burrow and the O adapted because they were not having the same success they had the previous year with the big plays to Tee and Jamar, because teams played a lot more cover 2. It happened more early in the season than before it.

The ton of cover 2/shell defenses were happening late in Chase's rookie season after defenses made the adjustments. During last year's offseason Burrow was talking about how he knew shell defenses were pretty much all the Bengals were going to see. I don't think the early under-the-center stuff was anything other than protecting Burrow until he was fully recovered. It was pretty obvious that he wasn't healthy in those first several games. You can't that much weight that quickly and regain your strength in a big hurry. That ruptured appendix may have kept the Bengals from hosting the AFCCG.

25 minutes ago, dex said:

The ton of cover 2/shell defenses were happening late in Chase's rookie season after defenses made the adjustments. During last year's offseason Burrow was talking about how he knew shell defenses were pretty much all the Bengals were going to see. I don't think the early under-the-center stuff was anything other than protecting Burrow until he was fully recovered. It was pretty obvious that he wasn't healthy in those first several games. You can't that much weight that quickly and regain your strength in a big hurry. That ruptured appendix may have kept the Bengals from hosting the AFCCG.

The changes happened in week 5.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

The changes happened in week 5.

I'm definitely not disputing WHEN it happened, only WHY it happened.

They flipped the switch when Burrow got his strength back, I don't think they are flipping it back again. Glad that Burrow is practicing his under-center play action, but for the most part the Bengals will remain in shotgun formations imo. The only way that changes if they feel a need to have to protect a less than 100 percent Burrow.

1 minute ago, dex said:

I'm definitely not disputing WHEN it happened, only WHY it happened.

They flipped the switch when Burrow got his strength back, I don't think they are flipping it back again. Glad that Burrow is practicing his under-center play action, but for the most part the Bengals will remain in shotgun formations imo. The only way that changes if they feel a need to have to protect a less than 100 percent Burrow.

I actually think we are going to see more of a mix between last season's short passing game out of shotgun and the previous season getting the big plays.

It was too predictable before they started running it more frequently from the shotgun.  Basically, most of the time they lined up under center on early downs they ran it and they also rarely ran it from the shotgun.  Teams figured out our tendencies and we needed to adjust.  Play action opportunities are usually only effective if you have success running to begin with.  I’m fine being a pass first team because our QB and receivers are our best players.  Eventually, you do need to have some balance if teams keep playing deep and giving light boxes.  Otherwise you aren’t going to get many chances to attack deep and intermediate areas.  

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It was too predictable before they started running it more frequently from the shotgun.  Basically, most of the time they lined up under center on early downs they ran it and they also rarely ran it from the shotgun.  Teams figured out our tendencies and we needed to adjust.  Play action opportunities are usually only effective if you have success running to begin with.  I’m fine being a pass first team because our QB and receivers are our best players.  Eventually, you do need to have some balance if teams keep playing deep and giving light boxes.  Otherwise you aren’t going to get many chances to attack deep and intermediate areas.  

This is the key.  You have to be able to take advantage of light boxes.  Getting stuffed in the running game vs. light boxes puts the team at a major disadvantage.  If we can get more 5+ yard gains vs light boxes I don't see how anyone stops this offense.  

3 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

This is the key.  You have to be able to take advantage of light boxes.  Getting stuffed in the running game vs. light boxes puts the team at a major disadvantage.  If we can get more 5+ yard gains vs light boxes I don't see how anyone stops this offense.  

By getting to the QB. Same way they've stopped it without a running game. Granted that would make it a lot harder & a back that can block worth a damn would be a big help.

Still comes down to pass pro.

Archived