Last minute pre-draft moves

Cam Fleming is the only plausible option still available as a free agent. Bengals are already overinvested at RT so until we get the Jonah 12.6 mil albatross contract off the books, we aren't signing a free agent.

Florio says Raiders, Falcons, and Titans were all desperate to get back into the first round, presumably to get the 5th year option on a QB, ie Levis or Hooker.  If we'd traded down from 28 to 38 with the raiders, we'd probably have added their 3rd rounder this year plus something else, maybe their 3rd next year or 4th this year. Teams will pay up for a QB. 

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Cam Fleming is the only plausible option still available as a free agent. Bengals are already overinvested at RT so until we get the Jonah 12.6 mil albatross contract off the books, we aren't signing a free agent.

Florio says Raiders, Falcons, and Titans were all desperate to get back into the first round, presumably to get the 5th year option on a QB, ie Levis or Hooker.  If we'd traded down from 28 to 38 with the raiders, we'd probably have added their 3rd rounder this year plus something else, maybe their 3rd next year or 4th this year. Teams will pay up for a QB. 

I'm resigned to the team betting on one of Collins, Carman, or Williams stepping up. I'm not at all convinced that will happen but apparently that is the plan. We'll see if they bring in a 4th OT to compete I guess?

Why not take whatever they can get for Jonah? He's dead weight here.

I agree we should try to find a dumping spot for Jonah. The time to do a deal was a couple weeks ago. It would give the acquiring team a chance to check out his knees and to negotiate a longer term deal. He's probably worth a mid 3rd to mid 4th round pick as an expensive but younger and experienced middle of the pack left tackle. We forget how many teams are looking for LT upgrades. In various mocks, I've been able to trade him to the Colts, Titans, and Rams for 3rd round picks. 

Maybe some team trusts Bergeron to protect their QBs blindside as a rookie but the pool was largely depleted last night. So if the Bengals were more energetic about exploring their options, they could maybe move Jonah today. 

Archived