1st Round - Myles Murphy - Defensive End

35 minutes ago, membengal said:

I believe alot of teams are going to regret passing on him..

He could be a beast very soon.

The depth at DE is incredible now for the long season ahead..

Same with the dbackfield..

This defense is going to Rock this year!

Hobs notes on Murphy:

FIRST ROUND: Clemson edge Myles Murphy: Suffice to say, the appearance of Murphy at No. 28 stunned the draft room. Director of player personnel Duke Tobin's staff had so much regard for him that they figured the last time they would see him in the Paycor Stadium offices was when they said good-bye to him after his visit a few weeks ago. This guy wouldn't drop out of the top ten, right?

So when they grabbed Murphy on Thursday night, senior defensive assistant Mark Duffner, who works with the edge players, came charging out of his office to greet the scouts and head coach Zac Taylor. The man who popularized the war cry, "They have to play us," during last season's playoff run kept it simple.

"I had a Who Dey proclamation and a Thank God proclamation," Duffner says.

Ever since COVID, Duffner has become one of the most prolific Zoomers in the NFL when it comes to scouting edgers. But after all that, Murphy became the first defensive lineman to be drafted by the Bengals in the first round since 2001, when Duffner was the Bengals defensive coordinator, without a Duffner Zoom. That's because Murphy came in for a visit, which confirmed what they already knew. Quality all the way.

But here's what Duffner saw on tape. A guy who fits defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo's versatility requirement. Edges have to magically turn into backers at times.

"The one characteristic I look for is recoverability," Duffner says. "He can recover and get back into a play. He's got the great ratio of a quick get-off, quickness, length and speed."

Senior personnel executive Trey Brown, who pretty much floats through every region as well as free agency with director of college scouting Mike Potts and director of pro scouting Steven Radicevic, says it's a good reminder to put the work in on everybody on the board no matter what. That's why they scheduled him for a visit.

"He's not just an athlete who tests well off the field. His physical traits show up on the field," Brown says. "He's excellent when converting speed to power consistently going against offensive tackles. He's excellent chasing on the back side of plays."

Defensive line coach Marion Hobby came in two years ago already as a highly-regarded guy and his stock has kept rising with his Bengals' unit that has been a key part of the franchise's renaissance. It looks like Hobby, a former national championship co-defensive coordinator at Clemson who followed Murphy's college career, has another one.

"He's an excellent teacher," Duffner says of Hobby. "He's got a way to connect to players and get across the fundamentals. He's very good position technique coach."

Now Hobby and Duffner have the guy they didn't think they'd get.

"Surprised? Duffner is asked. "I think everyone in the country is surprised."

Myles is an impressive young man, no doubt about it. I remember seeing an interview he did on ESPN or NFL Network a few months ago when he was thought of as a top 10-15 pick and just liking the guy...he's an easy-to-root-for type of guy who you can trust to do the right thing. He's going to work hard and produce on the field while being an excellent representation for the Bengals off the field....the total package. 

The note today from Ossai about labrum surgery and missing the off-season but hopefully being ready by camp makes me even happier for the Murphy pick. Because...there was really NOTHING behind Hendrickson/Hubbard/Ossai that could really begin to make any QB concerned. 

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Myles is an impressive young man, no doubt about it. I remember seeing an interview he did on ESPN or NFL Network a few months ago when he was thought of as a top 10-15 pick and just liking the guy...he's an easy-to-root-for type of guy who you can trust to do the right thing. He's going to work hard and produce on the field while being an excellent representation for the Bengals off the field....the total package. 

Very bright also

I am telling you all.. This guy is the real freaking deal, and I am REALLY surprised he fell to us. This guy will be a pro bowl player in 2 years, and "all team" awarded player in 3 years. 

On 5/1/2023 at 3:36 PM, membengal said:

The note today from Ossai about labrum surgery and missing the off-season but hopefully being ready by camp makes me even happier for the Murphy pick. Because...there was really NOTHING behind Hendrickson/Hubbard/Ossai that could really begin to make any QB concerned. 

Ossai and Murphy can now rotate on the edges to keep everyone fresh.

Constant pressure when you have 4 DE that can bring it.. 

This defense is going to be a hard nose. physically talented unit

under the Mad Scientist to go against. for any team....

Archived