Should the Bengals go up for Mayer?

The Bengals & Mayer  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bengals trade up and take Mayer?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is Mayer on the top of your wish list right now?

• Yes
    • No, but in top 5
    • No, don't want him
  3. 3. Would you be willing to use both the 2nd and 3rd pick just to get Mayer?

• Yes, quality over quantity
    • No, just stay put and take bpa

0061577-gqhc-1280x720.jpg

Many of the fans that were disappointed with the Murphy pick have been saying that they wanted Mayer instead. 

He's a hometown kid Bengals fan sitting at Covington Catholic waiting to hear his name called. And the Bengals need a stud TE. 

So why shouldn't Duke do something they don't usually do and trade up into the top of Rd 2 and get a guy that many would have been happy with at 28. 

We have too many needs and not enough picks to move up for a TE.  Yes, I believe MM would help our running game and our cover 2 offense, but I don't think he's worth potentially losing a CB (or other position) that we may use with the pick(s) we'd have to give up.  

Just now, Jamie_B said:

It depends on what is available and if we can trade Johnna 

I like Mayer but this is a deep TE draft.

If we could trade Jonah +60 to get to the top of the 2nd, I'd consider that...maybe not for MM, but Cam Smith maybe?  There's a chance he falls to us anyway, but why not go get a guy you think can be really good?

8 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

If we could trade Jonah +60 to get to the top of the 2nd, I'd consider that...maybe not for MM, but Cam Smith maybe?  There's a chance he falls to us anyway, but why not go get a guy you think can be really good?

That's why I said it depends on who's there. ;)

27 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

They don’t want Mayer, if they did they would have drafted him. 

Murphy could have been first on their board and Mayer second.

That logic doesn't pan out, or it could be used for every player they pick from now until the end of the draft. "If they wanted ______ they would have drafted him at 28". 

53 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Murphy could have been first on their board and Mayer second.

That logic doesn't pan out, or it could be used for every player they pick from now until the end of the draft. "If they wanted ______ they would have drafted him at 28". 

There is only one thing that matters - the Bengals had Murphy ranked higher than Mayer. That is clear and time will tell if that was valid. 

I don't know what exactly the trade value charts say it would take but I'd probably pass.

The team has a lot of needs and not enough picks to fill them all as is. Trading up only exacerbates the problem.

I do like Mayer though and he is at the top of my board of the players still available. 

Yes, I would trade up for this kid but what do we have to offer?

Our low second rounder and... and... and...

What do we have that would bump us up high enough to get him?

You know he will be in the top 5, probably 3, guys taken at the top

of the second round and the first pick will be son of a bitch Porter Jr to Shitts Creek.

Nobody wants Jonah.  I would go our second and Flounder Carman but that ain't gonna happen.

Maybe start thinking this freak Kurtz.  I would prefer Mayer but could live with Kurtz if he falls into

our target range.

It's not that nobody wants Jonah.  They don't want the 1 year rental at that cost.  So you'd have to agree to pay a big chunk of the salary he's guaranteed.  It would be the same sort of thing with Mixon.  Nobody wants the salary and/or the potential issues for the short-term rental.

They could trade someone like Tee Higgins for a high 2nd rounder but if that would look horrible if they did that just to draft Mayer.  Certainly not something any real fans of the Bengals want - outsiders yes, us no.

Bengals have plenty of ammo to trade up for Mayer if they wanted to. It would probably require a pick from next year though and they are philosophically opposed to trading future picks, even though other teams do it all the time. Those other teams sometimes regret it and sometimes flourish from it. It depends on how the player selected does.

Archived