Yall know I'm crazy but hear me out here

We need to trade up and take Levis.  We are a Super Bowl team but if Burrow gets hurt we are freaking screwed. If anyone else gets hurt we might be alright but we got one injury that can kill our entire Super Bowl team.  I feel like we need that insurance policy. I'm not saying Levis is a Super Bowl caliber qb or anything great. But were rolling with Jake Browning as of this moment??? Why not roll the dice and get the best backup QB available? Worse comes to worse in 2 or 3 years we let him put up a ton of preseason stats and trade him away for equal value or more of what we got him for..   

I mean can we at least bring AJ Pooter back? So if Burrow goes down we still have a chance?   I mean 17 games is a lot.  Burrow be taking a beating some games.  The NFL really needs to expand the rosters.   Who else is out there?  Would someone like Matt Ryan be interested in taking a pay cut just to be a backup?   vs being out of the league altogether.

having a viable backup is a very smart thing, but a team that has a young super star QB that is getting ready to get 250+ million isn't picking a backup in the second round unless they are very stupid or planning on not paying said QB (which they aren't).. so bring someone else in yes, draft a guy today... hell no. 

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

having a viable backup is a very smart thing, but a team that has a young super star QB that is getting ready to get 250+ million isn't picking a backup in the second round unless they are very stupid or planning on not paying said QB (which they aren't).. so bring someone else in yes, draft a guy today... hell no. 

Yeah. I mean we need somebody. At this point if Burrow goes down our best option is Chase?  lol  Nothing against Browning at all but com on man were a Super Bowl team we need a damn good backup.  $250 million doesn't stop a guy getting hurt anymore than the $1 million dollar guy.  And we can't sit and pretend like Burrow cant get hurt or won't because its already happened. 

Yes, we need a better backup QB than Browning. We should sign a vet QB with at least a few dozen NFL starts to be the backup. We could take Stetson Bennett in round 7 to compete with Browning for the PS QB role. We definitely shouldn't take Levis as he won't get any practice snaps and will just wither on our roster. He's certainly not the future in Cincinnati so why waste a pick on him? 

If we're worried about Burrow getting hurt, maybe giving him better protection would be a good idea? I know that's crazytalk around here though. 

1 minute ago, Catfish Bob said:

Yeah. I mean we need somebody. At this point if Burrow goes down our best option is Chase?  lol  Nothing against Browning at all but com on man were a Super Bowl team we need a damn good backup.  $250 million doesn't stop a guy getting hurt anymore than the $1 million dollar guy.  And we can't sit and pretend like Burrow cant get hurt or won't because its already happened. 

I am 100% with you that we need a good backup, we just aren't drafting one early is all I was saying.

BTW.. Joe goes down we are fucked anyway

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

The Bengals should draft a QB late on Day 3 ... Stetson Bennett.

But he will be cheap. No way on Levis on day 2, as there are other needs. 

I am fine with this. he has proven he can manage a loaded team to championships. 

5 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

BTW.. Joe goes down we are fucked anyway

yeah that is probably correct. No matter who we get they wont be nearly as good.  Is there anyone out there that would give us a chance?   Hell what about Dalton?  wheres he at?

Dalton is on Carolinas roster as of now.  Hopefully he gets cut and we bring him in as the backup. If he wants to. That would be pretty cool. If he has to play this season we'll get to see what he does with 2 versions of AJ Green. 

I hated Dalton for years as the #1. Always said he is a great #2 guy. Can come in late in the 4th due a sprained pinky finger or whatever and finish off a game for the team.  Maybe even start a few games if needed and still give us a chance to win.

42 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

I mean can we at least bring AJ Pooter back? So if Burrow goes down we still have a chance?   I mean 17 games is a lot.  Burrow be taking a beating some games.  The NFL really needs to expand the rosters.   Who else is out there?  Would someone like Matt Ryan be interested in taking a pay cut just to be a backup?   vs being out of the league altogether.

There it is!!!...when I read the post title and the poster I was betting that it would be about either trading for Lamar somehow or getting AJ back.  :)

Regarding a backup QB...I wouldn't mind them signing a veteran backup that can keep them in the playoff hunt if JB went down for a handful of games, but I wouldn't waste a high pick.  Seems like the Bengals did try to sign a vet backup a month or so back and the name escapes me now.

10 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

There it is!!!...when I read the post title and the poster I was betting that it would be about either trading for Lamar somehow or getting AJ back.  :)

Regarding a backup QB...I wouldn't mind them signing a veteran backup that can keep them in the playoff hunt if JB went down for a handful of games, but I wouldn't waste a high pick.  Seems like the Bengals did try to sign a vet backup a month or so back and the name escapes me now.

Everyone sees it as a wasted pick except for me. lol    Its playing the long game. We steal him now and coach him up. Get him to where he can be our backup while we have him but also boost his stats ridiculous in the pre seasons and let some hype build. Then bam get a first round pick plus some for him in 2 or 3 years.   Or if JB tears his ACL well there we go.

Yeah AJ would be my first pick for sure but he seems happy with the XFL.  Could he be our backup this season and still play for St.Louis in XFL season 2?  If yes and he wants to then yeah we need to get him. lol

1 hour ago, Catfish Bob said:

We need to trade up and take Levis.  We are a Super Bowl team but if Burrow gets hurt we are freaking screwed. If anyone else gets hurt we might be alright but we got one injury that can kill our entire Super Bowl team.  I feel like we need that insurance policy. I'm not saying Levis is a Super Bowl caliber qb or anything great. But were rolling with Jake Browning as of this moment??? Why not roll the dice and get the best backup QB available? Worse comes to worse in 2 or 3 years we let him put up a ton of preseason stats and trade him away for equal value or more of what we got him for..   

Hes just not that good. That’s the reality.

I’d rather have the UCLA kid a few rounds later. 

Archived