* ROUNDS 4 - 7 of the 2023 NFL DRAFT *

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Anyone know why Houston had to forfeit a 5th round pick?  Was making them pinky swear not to do whatever it was again considered too harsh?

wasn't it because they talked to their new coach outside of the time to talk to him? Just announced a few days ago, I think?

Just now, membengal said:

wasn't it because they talked to their new coach outside of the time to talk to him? Just announced a few days ago, I think?

Probably so...  But man, losing a 5th round pick? Boy I bet they learned their lesson!  

:pst-min:

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

No, sign another one next year…who cares? 

Or pony up to bring him back if he puts up more than the very average production we got from Hurst.  I know he made some nice plays and I still think he had some upside but it's not like we lost an All-Pro lynchpin of the offense.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Not with Chase, Tee & Boyd and only one ball.

With a rookie you can keep him for a minimum of four years.  Going out and trying to find one every year is not a great plan.  Like you said, their is only one Ball so Boyd is more important than a TE?  I don’t think so but, hey, we all have our own opinions.  

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Or pony up to bring him back if he puts up more than the very average production we got from Hurst.  I know he made some nice plays and I still think he had some upside but it's not like we lost an All-Pro lynchpin of the offense.

Yeah. TE just isn’t a position they’re going to pour a ton of resources into, IMO. If Smith does well he’ll likely get a bigger deal somewhere else next year and we’ll just start the process over. At that spot, I’m ok with that. 

2 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

With a rookie you can keep him for a minimum of four years.  Going out and trying to find one every year is not a great plan.  Like you said, their is only one Ball so Boyd is more important than a TE?  I don’t think so but, hey, we all have our own opinions.  

I think they like Smith more than they liked the TE's that were available to them vs the guys they actually drafted.  BPA all day.

If Smith blows up and they can't keep him they can draft a TE next year, no biggie.

The 2024 roster minus 2024 free agents

QB Burrow 25 Browning 25      
RB Mixon 25   Evans 25    
WR Chase 26   Lassiter 25    
WR          
WR   Jones 27      
TE       Hudson 25 Bowers 25
LT Brown 27 Carman 25 Smith 25 Cochran 25  
LG Volson 26   Gilliam 25    
C Karras 25 Hill 25 Brown 24    
RG Cappa 26        
RT   Collins 25      

K McPherson 25        
P          
LS          

LE Hubbard 26 Murphy 28 Sample 25    
LT   Tufele 25 Davis 25    
RT Hill 25 Carter 26      
RE Hendrickson 25 Ossai 25 Gunter 26 Johnson 25  
WLB          
MLB Pratt 26        
SLB     Jones 25 Carney 25  
S Scott 26 Battle 27      
S Hill 27 Anderson 27 Corker 25    
CB   Turner 27 Tell 25    
CB Taylor-Britt 26   George 24    
CB Hilton 25 Davis 25      

11 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

Last year, the Bengals passed to the TE 15.4%, RB 22.3%, & WR 62.3% of the time - going by number of targets for the season.  They happen to pass 60.2% of the time they run a play on offense.  Make your own conclusions from that but most people would say the TE is the least used of the 3 positions in the passing game.  I suppose a better TE would change that somewhat, but apparently not enough to get them to try and upgrade from Irv Smith.

They have Sample as their primary blocking TE.  They have Smith as their primary receiving TE.  They don't need to force it if they don't like what's available to them - they should be just fine.

Zack Kuntz-Old Dominion (3) C
Sean Tucker-Syracuse (3)
Dwayne McBride-UAB (3)
Israel Abanikanda-Pitt (4)
Kenny McIntosh-Georgia (4)
Zach Evans-Ole Miss (5) V
Keaton Mitchell-E Carolina (5) V
Deuce Vaughn-K State (5)
Jarrett Patterson-ND (5) 2C
Ivan Pace-Cincinnati (5) V

Archived