5th Round - Chase Brown - RB

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

how the fuck do beasts like this last so long... good for us 

Fewer run-heavy teams than ever & it was a deep RB draft with more polished players from bigger programs. I wouldn't quite call him a project but he needs to get better at blocking and holding on to the ball if he's going to see much game time.  We've also got a couple of vets that have been waiting for this opportunity, I think they'll have something to say about it.

• Like 1

Hobs' notes on the Brown pick:

FIFTH ROUND: Illinois RB Chase Brown: The character is impeccable. Soon everyone is going to know the story of how Chase and his identical twin brother Sydney overcame homelessness growing up in London, Ontario, with a relentless and cheerful work ethic along with a tight family unit consisting of their younger sister, mother, and grandmother. Sydney, a versatile safety who went in the third round to the Eagles, got drafted first Friday. Then it was Chase the next day in a hail of tears.

"You're not going to find a safer bet in terms of work ethic, leadership intelligence. The life this kid has lived is made up of all the right stuff," Sarkisian says.

And when it comes to football, there's a lot to like, too. You know those break-away home runs they've been seeking? They think this guy can deliver some of that. Yes, Sarkisian says, there are things he needs to clean up, but he was an outrageously productive runner who had two 1,000-yard seasons and is coming off a 328-carry year he racked up more than 1,600 yards on five yards per carry.

But there are also his workout numbers. He had the best vertical leap (40 inches) and broad jump (10-7) of the backs at the combine, as well as the fourth best 40-yard dash at 4.43 seconds.

"He's a very good No. 2 rookie with starting upside. He can be a potential starter," Sarkisian says. "Explosive. He's very urgent. He runs aggressively. He runs around you, runs aways from you and he can run over you."

Sarkisian says Brown also has a great understanding of the big picture. So he knows that Joe Mixon is the lead guy because he's been watching him for years do it for the Bengals.

"He's versatile. His jump cut, his ability to get in and out of breaks. He's an overall great running back. His ability to stretch on outside zones and in the zone game is a lot of fun to watch," Brown said of Mixon after the call came.

Talk about being self-aware, he also talked about how he needs to work on his pass-protection and ball security.

"It's definitely something that I need to work on. Coming in, it's going to be something I'm extremely focused on. I'm blessed to have this opportunity to come in and get better," Brown said of pass-pro. "Obviously, I've got to keep the ball close to my body, close to my chest. Definitely see improvement in that area."

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 8:54 PM, claptonrocks said:

Mixon would be smart to take a paycut.

Too much baggage now for his salary..

I think thats the plan with him..

-1 for using the words "Smart" and "Mixon" in the same sentence.

I so want to see that fool gone for some many reasons.

To me, it is kind of like adding dirty water (Mixon) to clean water (The Cincinnati Bengals) what do you get?

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2023 at 1:00 PM, BlackJesus said:

I think the NFL 360 Feature on Chase Brown's story, different from the one linked above is even more gripping (though similar) ...

I downloaded it and created it own's thread here ...

I would agree that this second story is a bit better than the first one posted here…However, the part about “hugs” in the first story was the best part.  [So, watch both. 😎]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BBR said:

Don't know if this was posted already, but gotta love seeing this:

If he can do that, he can pick up a blitzing corner.  Just a matter of recognition and technique but the ability is certainly there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We shouldn't read too much into a hit in practice for an all star game. Some of the players are in shorts. If the DBs were delivering kill shots, it would be the same thing, meaningless. 

IDK, it's good form.  Maybe the tackler wasn't going 100% but Brown still had solid balance & leverage coming downhill like that.

Hopefully no one thinks he's going to run over NFL LB's like that,

On 4/29/2023 at 3:50 PM, sparky151 said:

I'm sort of meh on this pick. He was a bell cow last season and almost carried Illinois over Michigan on the road. But he's also a fumbler, not much of a pass blocker, and it's not clear what he offers that we don't already have with Trayveon Williams. 

Not much of a blocker? I heard that he was the best RB blocker in the draft?