5th Round - Chase Brown - RB

I’m glad to see that Chase and his brother will now be able to take care of their mom.  

But I also have to say that due mostly to all of the escalating QB contracts, it’s funny how $4 million doesn’t seem like much money…but it really is.  🤔

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I’m glad to see that Chase and his brother will now be able to take care of their mom.  

But I also have to say that due mostly to all of the escalating QB contracts, it’s funny how $4 million doesn’t seem like much money…but it really is.  🤔

I won't see that I'm my lifetime 

Chase Brown will make over the next 4 seasons ... what Mixon will get in the first 6 games this year

All the more reason to force Mr. Glock to take a pay cut or release him.

I already think Chase Brown might be better. 1 cut and he hits the hole hard, unlike Mixon's dancing bullshit and inability to pick up a 3rd and 1.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2023 at 12:03 PM, High School Harry said:

The main thing I want to hear about this guy is that he sent Joe Sixgun along to find his life's work.

Prepare to be disappointed, if anyone is getting replaced by Brown it's Evans or Williams. 

Mixon is RB1, he's not going to be replaced by a 5th round pick. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Chase Brown will make over the next 4 seasons ... what Mixon will get in the first 6 games this year

All the more reason to force Mr. Glock to take a pay cut or release him.

I already think Chase Brown might be better. 1 cut and he hits the hole hard, unlike Mixon's dancing bullshit and inability to pick up a 3rd and 1.

That's hilarious....based on what...cmon man be serious. You are reaching hard on this one, Brown will be lucky to get 100 snaps. If there's no hole to hit then what do you do?

He's a 5th round pick, nothing the coaches have said should make you think he's here to take Mixon's job.

You guys are really hyping him up like he's the future of the position when he barely got drafted. He was the 163rd overall pick out of 259 picks, so he is not some can't miss prospect that's going to replace our starting RB.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Prepare to be disappointed, if anyone is getting replaced by Brown it's Evans or Williams. 

Mixon is RB1, he's not going to be replaced by 5th round pick. 

If Mixon plays like he did last year it wouldn't surprise me

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Mixon is RB1, he's not going to be replaced by 5th round pick. 

Might be Williams since the coaches think he's ascending, but it won't be by Evans. I fully expect Evans to be the 4th back and inactive on game days unless there are injuries.

12 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

That's hilarious....based on what...

Based on my eyes and the tens of thousands of football plays I have watched over the last 3-4 decades.

I can see when a RB knows how to run the football and hit the hole and when he doesn't. It is not rocket science. Mixon has been declining in this ability on most occasions, even though yes he will occasionally have a stronger outing every 4-6 games or so. 

I am not sure if Mixon's problems are mental focus, physical ability, the potential dumpster fire of his personal life or sketchiness of those around him (see the police blotter), wear and tear from years of toting the rock, or if our OL just coincidentally forgets how to block when he's in the game, to the point that Perine a traditional journeymen, often times looked better than Mixon at hitting the hole. 

Do I want Mixon to suck? Of course not. I would love to see a dominant Mixon running the ball. But, I also refuse to ignore the common sense that I see. Now whether Zac wants to praise him and say good things because he knows his owner is committed to keeping him so might as well, or whether he generally likes Mixon because of a personal friendship with him and him being a locker room leader and Oklahoma guy from his hometown favorite University growing up -- who knows? But I don't owe Mixon the same smoke blown up his ass. I can keep it real and say that he has often been bad at his primary role lately, which is running the football. And this on perhaps the most explosive offense in the entire NFL with amazing WRs which should be opening up the run game for a normal top tier RB (which he is getting paid as).

Could scheme help Mixon, maybe. Particularly a zone scheme where he can run mostly counters - which he seems to do better at? Could Burrow being under center help Mixon? Perhaps. But really Burrow does best in shotgun (and the OL can barely hold up usually), which is why I think the team needs more of a 3rd down type of back, which Mixon isn't (see CEH at LSU). But Chase Brown potentially is. And oh yeah, he's also like 8% of the price of Mixon. So does anyone really think Mixon is 12x better than Chase Brown right now. Like the averages per carry would be 4.0 for Brown, and 48.0 for Mixon ??? Of course not. 

Mixon is more of a downhill runner. It's part of why the scheme change for the O dropped his numbers last year. The bigger part being the running lanes just were not there. 

If this guy fits the scheme more than Mixon great. I'll wait and see if the running lanes are there theough.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Mixon is more of a downhill runner. It's part of why the scheme change for the O dropped his numbers last year. The bigger part being the running lanes just were not there. 

If this guy fits the scheme more than Mixon great. I'll wait and see if the running lanes are there theough.

Not arguing Mixon vs. a 5th round rookie like Brown, but I don't know how anyone can say the running lanes weren't there. Opponent defenses all understandably went with light boxes to slow down Burrow & the passing game. That should be a RB dream, cover 2 shell defenses. A 7th round draft pick like Pacheco certainly took advantage of light boxes. Mixon really didn't, and the deep-dive statistical data backs this sad fact up.

Can Brown or Williams take advantage of light boxes? We are about to find out.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, dex said:

Not arguing Mixon vs. a 5th round rookie like Brown, but I don't know how anyone can say the running lanes weren't there. Opponent defenses all understandably went with light boxes to slow down Burrow & the passing game. That should be a RB dream, cover 2 shell defenses. A 7th round draft pick like Pacheco certainly took advantage of light boxes. Mixon really didn't, and the deep-dive statistical data backs this sad fact up.

Can Brown or Williams take advantage of light boxes? We are about to find out.

Because they weren't. Not having 8 in the box wasn't the issue, the issue was trying to run out of shotgun gave the 7 that were in the box that extra time to seal the lanes, and the Chiefs when it comes to at least run blocking have a far superior Oline than we do. I'm not sure how anyone who watched these games saw holes for Mixon to run through, and I'm not saying that to pick a fight, I'm saying it because I didn't see them most weeks, because the weeks that they were there, he ran through them.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Because they weren't. Not having 8 in the box wasn't the issue, the issue was trying to run out of shotgun gave the 7 that were in the box that extra time to seal the lanes, and the Chiefs when it comes to at least run blocking have a far superior Oline than we do. I'm not sure how anyone who watched these games saw holes for Mixon to run through, and I'm not saying that to pick a fight, I'm saying it because I didn't see them most weeks, because the weeks that they were there, he ran through them.

This Paul Dehner article excerpt talks mostly about Mixon in the passing game than the running game, but Mixon's elusive rating is very poor in both.

The Bengals pass. A lot. For good reason and don’t hide it.

When they run, philosophy shifted away from the nimble outside zone scheme expected to transition from Los Angeles with Zac Taylor to a powerful, downhill, shotgun run scheme that emphasizes efficiency over home runs on the ground.

1. Keep Burrow upright and able to scan the field.
2. Avoid negative runs and stay in good down and distance.
3. Profit.

The nature of how the Bengals’ passing game evolved last season, however, opens up a new skill that needs to improve dramatically. Backs must be better at turning checkdowns into explosive plays. Defenses committed to playing two deep safeties while scared of Burrow and his receivers creating explosive plays over the top left Burrow with a bevy of checkdowns. Once he started taking them — and doing so as quickly as any quarterback in football — Cincinnati created numerous opportunities for the running backs to make plays in space.

They didn’t do so nearly enough.

Mixon finished 57th out of 62 qualifying running backs in PFF elusive rating, which weighs the rate of missed tackles forced with yards after contact.

Among the 11 running backs to catch at least 50 passes last season, Mixon ranked in the middle of the pack in receptions per missed tackle and yards per catch.

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Based on my eyes and the tens of thousands of football plays I have watched over the last 3-4 decades.

I can see when a RB knows how to run the football and hit the hole and when he doesn't. It is not rocket science. Mixon has been declining in this ability on most occasions, even though yes he will occasionally have a stronger outing every 4-6 games or so. 

I am not sure if Mixon's problems are mental focus, physical ability, the potential dumpster fire of his personal life or sketchiness of those around him (see the police blotter), wear and tear from years of toting the rock, or if our OL just coincidentally forgets how to block when he's in the game, to the point that Perine a traditional journeymen, often times looked better than Mixon at hitting the hole. 

Do I want Mixon to suck? Of course not. I would love to see a dominant Mixon running the ball. But, I also refuse to ignore the common sense that I see. Now whether Zac wants to praise him and say good things because he knows his owner is committed to keeping him so might as well, or whether he generally likes Mixon because of a personal friendship with him and him being a locker room leader and Oklahoma guy from his hometown favorite University growing up -- who knows? But I don't owe Mixon the same smoke blown up his ass. I can keep it real and say that he has often been bad at his primary role lately, which is running the football. And this on perhaps the most explosive offense in the entire NFL with amazing WRs which should be opening up the run game for a normal top tier RB (which he is getting paid as).

Could scheme help Mixon, maybe. Particularly a zone scheme where he can run mostly counters - which he seems to do better at? Could Burrow being under center help Mixon? Perhaps. But really Burrow does best in shotgun (and the OL can barely hold up usually), which is why I think the team needs more of a 3rd down type of back, which Mixon isn't (see CEH at LSU). But Chase Brown potentially is. And oh yeah, he's also like 8% of the price of Mixon. So does anyone really think Mixon is 12x better than Chase Brown right now. Like the averages per carry would be 4.0 for Brown, and 48.0 for Mixon ??? Of course not. 

Not sure what you are watching, but it ain't Joe Mixon..

This video shows Mixon doing exactly what you say he hasn't been doing, attacking the line of scrimmage and converting short-yardage plays...often.  Could he improve upon last season, sure but he's not a bum that is going to be replaced a 5th-round pick either..Mixon isn't the weak link on this offense, with consistent improvement on the offensive line he should improve as well. 

• Upvote 1

Mixon is a downhill runner in that sense that if you were to shove him down a steep enough hill he might look capable. Last year he looked like he had cement cleats. 

Really don't understand the team's insistence on paying top tier money to (being generous here) mid tier talent. Is it because everyone called Mikey cheap? Because I can think of a few more deserving candidates.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

This video shows Mixon doing exactly what you say he hasn't been doing,

Damn, your video actually makes my point for me. He is even slower and more lumbering there than I remember. And just think, these are his "highlights", so they have not even included the other 70% of his runs where he did nothing. And notice, most of these gains he makes are on dump off passes (not even runs), which a quicker back would have taken for far more yardage and actually made someone miss in the open field (which he can't do). Watching those highlights really makes me wish we could have gotten someone like Gibbs, as he would be doing house calls with some of those dump offs. Luckily, I think Brown will be quicker at least, and provide some of an upgrade. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Damn, your video actually makes my point for me. He is even slower and more lumbering there than I remember. And just think, these are his "highlights", so they have not even included the other 70% of his runs where he did nothing. And notice, most of these gains he makes are on dump off passes (not even runs), which a quicker back would have taken for far more yardage and actually made someone miss in the open field (which he can't do). Watching those highlights really makes me wish we could have gotten someone like Gibbs, as he would be doing house calls with some of those dump offs. Luckily, I think Brown will be quicker at least, and provide some of an upgrade. 

Playing against NFL defenses doesn't compare to Louisiana Monore....like I said it's cool to like the new guy but your belief that every rookie is just going to come into the NFL and replace proven vets and outperform guys who have made Pro Bowls is naive and childlike...but carry on...

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Man Slapping Couch Laughing GIF

• Like 1