5th Round - Chase Brown - RB

20 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Different argument. That's a is Mixon elusive argument, not a were running lanes there.

Mixon could definitely improve his elusiveness and ability to break tackles, it seems like he was taken down by the first tackler too often last year. Hopefully, he will improve in that area of his game in the future. 

8 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Mixon could definitely improve his elusiveness and ability to break tackles, it seems like he was taken down by the first tackler too often last year. Hopefully, he will improve in that area of his game in the future. 

Yeah I'm not saying there aren't areas for improvement from Mixon, specifically this and run blocking. But I'm not joining in on the Group-Think that he was the problem with the running game last year.  There we're a number of factors at play and he was a small part.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Wait, you're expecting Mixon to improve in his 7th year? Not very likely. And if he were going to work on something, how about pass blocking? 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Yeah I'm not saying there aren't areas for improvement from Mixon, specifically this and run blocking. But I'm not joining in on the Group-Think that he was the problem with the running game last year.  There we're a number of factors at play and he was a small part.

Exactly, he's still a very good back with the potential to be a top 5-10 back in the NFL if he can improve and get better run blocking. He's still young enough to have a few good years left, why some want to throw him away because of an allegation and the actions of someone else is beyond me. 

35 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Exactly, he's still a very good back with the potential to be a top 5-10 back in the NFL if he can improve and get better run blocking. He's still young enough to have a few good years left, why some want to throw him away because of an allegation and the actions of someone else is beyond me. 

Well, because on top of the shady off-field shit he hasn't been a very good RB. Paying this guy $12m is negligence, it's some Nice Guy sentimental bs. 

But whatever, I think Brown and the other backs are likely to push him for playing time.. if the team lets them. They've been weirdly stubborn about this kind of thing before, to the point of hurting the team. It's one thing to say they support him but that doesn't mean he should be on the field at 3rd & long. 

Mikey's not Daddy Warbucks but he's going to try to run the team like a group home for as long as he's able. I like that Pumpkin isn't trying to be everyone's buddy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Wait, you're expecting Mixon to improve in his 7th year? Not very likely. And if he were going to work on something, how about pass blocking? 

Why is that...He has quality coaching and is still relatively young at 27 when the season starts. I believe he can improve on pass blocking and eluding/breaking tackles.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Well, because on top of the shady off-field shit he hasn't been a very good RB. Paying this guy $12m is negligence, it's some Nice Guy sentimental bs. 

But whatever, I think Brown and the other backs are likely to push him for playing time.. if the team lets them. They've been weirdly stubborn about this kind of thing before, to the point of hurting the team. It's one thing to say they support him but that doesn't mean he should be on the field at 3rd & long. 

Mikey's not Daddy Warbucks but he's going to try to run the team like a group home for as long as he's able. I like that Pumpkin isn't trying to be everyone's buddy.

The Bengals RB room excluding Joe Mixon has a combined 65 carries for 427 yards and 3 TD's. If you want to go into the season in which the Bengals could compete w for a Super Bowl with that kind of experience and production at RB spot then I don't know what to say. Obviously, they could pick up a veteran to replace Mixon but I don't know of any vet that is currently available that is hands down better than Mixon...so yeah. 

It's a situation where you are better off dealing with the devil you know kinda thing, because there's no guarantee any RB you bring to replace will perform better and there isn't much behind him on the depth chart when it comes to proven talent and production. I could see a scenario in which the Bengals audition the young guys, keep the best 2 going forward and allow Mixon to play out his contract, so you could end up with a Chris Evans/Chase Brown duo in 2024... but for 2023 Mixon will be the guy barring a conviction for road rage. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Why is that...He has quality coaching and is still relatively young at 27 when the season starts. I believe he can improve on pass blocking and eluding/breaking tackles.

The Bengals RB room excluding Joe Mixon has a combined 65 carries for 427 yards and 3 TD's. If you want to go into the season in which the Bengals could compete w for a Super Bowl with that kind of experience and production at RB spot then I don't know what to say. Obviously, they could pick up a veteran to replace Mixon but I don't know of any vet that is currently available that is hands down better than Mixon...so yeah. 

It's a situation where you are better off dealing with the devil you know kinda thing, because there's no guarantee any RB you bring to replace will perform better and there isn't much behind him on the depth chart when it comes to proven talent and production. I could see a scenario in which the Bengals audition the young guys, keep the best 2 going forward and allow Mixon to play out his contract, so you could end up with a Chris Evans/Chase Brown duo in 2024... but for 2023 Mixon will be the guy barring a conviction for road rage. 

Well sure, he could be a lot better at pass protecting. But he could have done that years ago too. He just doesn't seem to want to and seemed happy to cede those snaps to Perine. I don't think he can improve his elusiveness, he's clearly lost a step over the last 6 years.

There are lots of RBs available who would be a better use of cap resources than Mixon. Let's start with Brown. If he's cured his fumbling issues from last year, he may well be an upgrade from Mixon. He's certainly quicker and faster. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Must have benn beyond the team

as well.....at least so far..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Obviously, they could pick up a veteran to replace Mixon but I don't know of any vet that is currently available that is hands down better than Mixon...so yeah. 

They wouldn't need to be hands-down better at this point.  It'd be worth making the switch if they're cheaper and/or not in legal trouble.  That being said I really don't think Mixon has been doing anything special on the field either.  If the new guy doesn't always have to come off the field on any 3rd down with over a yard to go that'd be an improvement in itself.

In other words there are many ways a replacement could be "better" without necessarily being the superior athlete.  Many, many.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Cricket said:

The key for Chase Brown will be ball security (the way he  carries  the ball), and fixing that BEFORE fumbling becomes an issue in his NFL career.  

Not saying that it isn't an issue, but keep in mind that Brown had a huge number of carries over those last 2 years. His very high usage rate was surely a factor in the number of fumbles, just as it was with his very high number of missed tackles forced and yards gained after contact. Brown basically was the Illini offense. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dex said:

Not saying that it isn't an issue, but keep in mind that Brown had a huge number of carries over those last 2 years. His very high usage rate was surely a factor in the number of fumbles, just as it was with his very high number of missed tackles forced and yards gained after contact. Brown basically was the Illini offense. 

When he was drafted, I watched the videos that were posted (mostly in this thread).  I couldn’t help but notice the way he carried the ball and immediately thought that fumbling could be a problem…BEFORE seeing any article about Chase mentioning his fumbles.  

If he hasn’t changed (or doesn't change) the way he carries the ball, fumbling WILL become an issue for him in the NFL.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

When he was drafted, I watched the videos that were posted (mostly in this thread).  I couldn’t help but notice the way he carried the ball and immediately thought that fumbling could be a problem…BEFORE seeing any article about Chase mentioning his fumbles.  

If he hasn’t changed (or doesn't change) the way he carries the ball, fumbling WILL become an issue for him in the NFL.  

We all know how the Bengals coaching staff feels about turnovers. It might be the most important stat in football in terms of ins and losses. If the coaches had believed it was an issue that couldn't be corrected, they wouldn't have drafted him. If Brown starts fumbling the ball for the Bengals, he won't see the field. Seems like a smart kid who really wants to play. I would be stunned if he doesn't improve this issue quickly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, dex said:

We all know how the Bengals coaching staff feels about turnovers. It might be the most important stat in football in terms of ins and losses. If the coaches had believed it was an issue that couldn't be corrected, they wouldn't have drafted him. If Brown starts fumbling the ball for the Bengals, he won't see the field. Seems like a smart kid who really wants to play. I would be stunned if he doesn't improve this issue quickly.

I would be stunned, too.  My point is that I don’t want to be stunned.  

Thus my earlier post:  “The key for Chase Brown will be ball security (the way he  carries  the ball), and fixing that BEFORE fumbling becomes an issue in his NFL career.”   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Probably a reason he dropped in the draft.

That’s definitely one reason he fell to the 5th.  I also read that there were concerns about his age and workload.  None are unfounded but I still liked the pick.  He moved up from the MAC to the Big Ten and ended his career as an All American.  He seems to fit into the trend of high character guys the Bengals have preferred in the draft.  Losing Perrine wasn’t ideal but I think Brown can step into that role pretty quickly.  

• Upvote 1