6th Round - Andrei Iosivas - WR

He's a good athlete, has a chance to become a good football player. Charlie Jones will probably win the WR5 and PR job from Trent Taylor. Irwin will likely stay as WR4. Morgan most likely is around again as WR6. So Iosivas will probably go the the practice squad. That's probably a good outcome for him but some other team may try to claim him at the cutdown date. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He's a good athlete, has a chance to become a good football player. Charlie Jones will probably win the WR5 and PR job from Trent Taylor. Irwin will likely stay as WR4. Morgan most likely is around again as WR6. So Iosivas will probably go the the practice squad. That's probably a good outcome for him but some other team may try to claim him at the cutdown date. 

Stanley Morgan may have to go regardless of ST..

They might want to keep this kid on the roster...

They reinforced STs..

I think the Bengals get an A in finding these 2 receivers so late...

13 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

They reinforced STs..

Probably keep 7 this year and Isovas is inactive

17 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

They reinforced STs..

Jones and Iosivas went about where they were projected by most mocks. Jones will make the 53 for sure but I doubt Iosivas does. He's a project and Trent Irwin will most likely beat him out for a spot. The team seems willing to keep Morgan around as primarily a ST guy. Unless we only carry 2 TEs, I doubt we go to 7 WRs. 

On 4/29/2023 at 8:41 PM, sparky151 said:

I get keeping Irwin but why keep Morgan over this guy? What has Morgan ever done?

On 4/29/2023 at 4:58 PM, membengal said:

Absolutely one of my favorite lottery picks. A lot of potential - but he's got a lot of work to put in to start to realize it. He's with the right WR coach and set of WR teammates tho, to work on that.

This is one of my favorites too. I wouldn't have loved this as a 2nd rd pick but as a 6th rd pick, hell yeah! This is exactly what you wanna try as a 6th rounder

I see Chris Henry in this guy. Longtime Bengal fans remember "slim" and when he was out (which unfortunately was often) we really missed him. He was tall, fast and abused DBs in the red zone

No way you can risk cutting him and sneaking him onto the PS. The Ravens and Browns would snatch him up in an instant. You really wanna see that?

Assuming no injuries to our other guys my guess this is what's going to happen: He will get put on IR before game 1 for something and they'll stash him there all year, in a sense red shirt him. I doubt they can stomach seeing him get picked up by a division rival or the Chiefs or even Bills. Can't allow that to happen

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

Led them in STs tackles most of the time but yeah time to move on.

Fine. Tell this new guy: you gotta play STs in order to make the roster. Sounds like he's a hard worker and he'll do it

2 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

Fine. Tell this new guy: you gotta play STs in order to make the roster. Sounds like he's a hard worker and he'll do it

Most guys that aren't every-down starters are expected to play ST somewhere, particularly "skill" players.  It shouldn't come as a surprise.

I think they keep 7 WRs and the first 4 are locks *

* Chase

* Higgins

* Boyd 

* Morgan 

Charlie

Andrei

For the final 7th spot it's a battle over which Trent to keep Irwin or Taylor as both can't stay. So mullet or backflip it is ???

Some decent notes here from Hobs on the pick:

SIXTH ROUND: Princeton WR Andrei Iosivas: Now might be a good time to recall that T.J. Houshmandzadeh was the 204th pick in 2001 and ended up catching the fourth most balls in Bengals history with 507. After leading the Ivy League with 66 catches, Iosivas went 206 on Saturday. His head coach, Bob Surace, who saw Houshmandzadeh make most of those catches as a Bengals offensive line assistant from 2002-09, says his guy can play in the league.

"Absolutely," says Surace, an avid and knowledgeable Bengals fan who has to calm his kids down when Cincy plays. "They've got some guys in the room right now with unique qualities and he fits that mold that way in that he's got some rare measurables. He took so much pride in his blocking. He's a physical player. He'll do the little things. Like any rookie, he's got a lot of growth. But he's a smart kid. He's got everything you want in a leader. He was a captain of our team and never made mental mistakes."

Here's a guy who pole vaults more than 16 feet and set the NCAA Indoor record for the 60 meters in the heptathlon. The Princeton track coach, Fred Samara, a decathlete in the 1976 Olympics, told Surace he thought Iosivas could be an Olympian. Surace knows this.

"He knows he's not going to go in there and beat out Chase and Higgins. But he'll walk in the room and not look out of place," he says.

Andrew Johnson, the area scout for Princeton, actually played tight end for Cornell against Surace's Tigers a decade ago. As an Ivy Leaguer, Johnson knows how demanding the spring and summer had to be for Iosivas. Until last year, Iosivas only attended meetings during spring football because he was competing in track and his summer internships weren't on Wall Street or Washington, D.C., as they are for many who play Ivy. Instead, Iosivas' summer internships were more workouts for football.

"It's tough no matter how you look at it," says Johnson, who once interned in the NBA office and was doing workouts at 4 a.m. before going to work. "He's got the skill set to be able to play multiple positions. He hasn't done it, but he might be a guy you could try as a kick returner. He's big and fast."

Johnson thought Iosivas could go as early as the fourth. Surace, who sat in enough draft rooms to not be sure about anything, thinks Houshmandzadeh and Iosivas have a couple of things in common even though Iosivas hardly ever played the slot for him.

"Andrei shares T.J.'s competitiveness, reliability, and leadership qualities," Surace says. "And I have no doubt the Bengals would sign up for Andrei to have a career like T.J. He was such a critical player to our offense's success."

I don't see the appeal...yeah he's a good athlete.. but he's super raw as a receiver and doesn't play as fast as he runs. He's going to have a big step up in competition and it's going to take him a while to learn how to run routes. I can see him on the practice squad as he's going to need a year or two to develop.

As for him taking anyone's job...pfft...good luck. Irwin is a polished receiver that has proven he can play in the NFL after playing at Stanford and being one of the WR in the history of high school football in California. Morgan is a special teams captain and a proven vet, I guarantee you that Coach Simmons values what Morgan brings to the team. 

I get it, everyone's excited about the shiny new toys but let's keep in mind that most late-round picks never see the field and if they do it's years after they were drafted so they can develop. All this talk of late-round picks taking proven vet's jobs is just ridiculous...that's not how the NFL works. 

Archived