8. 8. DJ Ivey, CB

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C or worse
  9. 9. Which Bengals draft pick is your favorite? (personally)

• Myles Murphy
    • DJ Turner
    • Jordan Battle
    • Charlie Jones
    • Chase Brown
    • Andrei Iosivas
    • Brad Robbins
    • DJ Ivey
  10. 10. Which Bengals draftee will have the best 2023 Season and contribute the most?

• Myles Murphy
    • DJ Turner
    • Jordan Battle
    • Charlie Jones
    • Chase Brown
    • Andrei Iosivas
    • Brad Robbins
    • DJ Ivey

My predictions

- I think Robbins is the only day 1 starter. 

- Battle likely starts by week 4. 

- Murphy is part of 3rd down rotation all year, gets like 8 sacks. 

- Turner gets limited playing time at first. Then starting CB by end of season. 

- Chase Brown surprises and by end of the season is the starter and pushes Mixon out the door.  

- Both WRs find it hard to get on the field unless injury. Though Charlie should be starting KR And PR. 

- Ivey shows flashes in limited time as well, then some start to hint he could be as good as Turner, giving the team very good CB depth for the future.

Overall grade for me is a solid B

Warming up to the idea of Murphy and think it gives them the ability to disguise what they are doing at the line. Also could see a "Corvette Package" where you see him Ossai Henrickson and Hubbard on the field at the same time. That could be nasty.

Love that our DBs are gonna be fast, and had more than one person who isnt a Bengals fan tell me that Jordan Battle is a steal. 

I like Trenton Irwin so I felt like taking two WRs is a bit superfluous and would have liked to see us get at least one TE seeing as we have two guys on a one-year deal. Otherwise I would give it an A.

We addressed future needs and current ones with getting that Punter and RB2.

This is a draft where there were not alot of Blue-Chippers, and we were picking at the bottom. So if these guys just become solid players and maybe not superstars I feel like it will turn out to be a good draft.

17 minutes ago, gupps said:

Don't see the Shitbirds or Stealers in there which makes me happy

Sorry to burst your bubble gupps, but PFF actually gave the Stealers an "A+"...that's why they don't show up on the "A to A-" list with us.  Ravens got a "B" so at least there's that.

I'd give it a B. Not so much because the players are bad value at their spot (I'd say that only applies to Turner) but because it added depth players at some positions while our starters are inadequate at others. Also we failed to move Jonah for a pick or take one of the "desperate" team's offers to trade up to 28. 

After letting the dust settle a bit, I'm most anxious and interested in watching Charlie Jones, Chase Brown, and Brad Robbins.  Obviously the higher draft picks have expectations based on their draft pick position, but those 3 guys could play very interesting roles on this team IMHO.  I think Charlie and Chase could surprise some folks with their contributions...ideally I would like to see Chase push for Mixon's job, but that's prolly a bit too premature/unrealistic.  I think the hang-time and directional/positional ability of Robbins punting could really be a difference maker in close games.

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'd give it a B. Not so much because the players are bad value at their spot (I'd say that only applies to Turner) but because it added depth players at some positions while our starters are inadequate at others. Also we failed to move Jonah for a pick or take one of the "desperate" team's offers to trade up to 28. 

Still a long way to go before they set the 53. I agree though, there's no way they can claim to be doing everything in their power to win a SB while starting Jonah Williams and Joe Mixon. I'm fine with immediate replacements not happening in this draft but that doesn't mean they shouldn't happen.

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I need to see these guys actually play NFL ball first but they're all good prospects for where they were drafted.

Yeah grading a draft pick before TC or a preseason is a bit premature. That's like getting your final grade in college on the first day of class. 

Now if we want to evaluate last year's picks or 2021 picks, that makes more sense. 

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Still a long way to go before they set the 53. I agree though, there's no way they can claim to be doing everything in their power to win a SB while starting Jonah Williams and Joe Mixon. I'm fine with immediate replacements not happening in this draft but that doesn't mean they shouldn't happen.

Jonah and Joe provide value and they have proven to be productive in the past, especially when healthy. One could argue that the cap space that is currently dedicated toward their salary could be spent better elsewhere, however, there is an argument to be made about having players that the coaches trust and know on the roster until clearly better options present themselves. 

There are several months to go before TC and the preseason start and this roster isn't finalized. In the worst-case scenario we have our former first-round pick and starting LT providing depth at LT or RT and starting RB still playing at a high level. Could we find alternatives that provide similar or better results for a less cost? Possibly, but so far that has not been the case. 

My point is even if Jonah and Joe are on the roster come September, it's not the worst thing in the world. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Jonah and Joe provide value and they have proven to be productive in the past, especially when healthy. One could argue that the cap space that is currently dedicated toward their salary could be spent better elsewhere, however, there is an argument to be made about having players guys that the coaches trust and know on the roster until clearly better options present themselves. 

There are several months to go before TC and the preseason start and this roster isn't finalized. In the worst-case scenario we have our former first-round pick and starting LT providing depth at LT and starting RB still playing at a high level. Could we find alternatives that provide similar or better results for a less cost? Possibly, but so far that has not been the case. 

My point is even if Jonah and Joe are on the roster come September, it's not the worst thing in the world. 

Mixon is not "still playing at a high level". He was below average last season, won't block, and is mixed up in some bullshit off the field.

Jonah was never very good regardless of his draft position. He was a mediocre player hiding on a really bad OL. When the rest of the OL improved he got exposed. Now he's butthurt on top of all that, so they're going to move him to RT like he suddenly won't suck there?

Both of these guys are liabilities and it's absurd to suggest the team hasn't had an opportunity to replace them.

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Mixon is not "still playing at a high level". He was below average last season, won't block, and is mixed up in some bullshit off the field.

Jonah was never very good regardless of his draft position. He was a mediocre player hiding on a really bad OL. When the rest of the OL improved he got exposed. Now he's butthurt on top of all that, so they're going to move him to RT like he suddenly won't suck there?

Both of these guys are liabilities and it's absurd to suggest the team hasn't had an opportunity to replace them.

Mixon is playing at a high level...the last 2 seasons he's had 2,774 yards from scrimmage on 604 touches for 25 TDs with only 2 fumbles. Sure he could improve on blocking and his salary is higher than what most fans think he deserves, but when he was on his rookie deal and was underpaid it wasn't a big deal. That's how it works, you know that. If anything Joe is going to get to play out his contract because of the loyalty that MB shows his players, it's just who the Bengals are. Also, I think Mixon has more in the tank as he is in the prime of his career at 26 but will be 27 by the time the season starts. He has spent most of his adult life with the Bengals and matured into a productive player and until he's proven guilty in court he should be given the benefit of the doubt. 

As for Jonah, yes, he has struggled but he also played hurt and sacrificed for the Bengals. I'm sure he's a bit butt hurt about the Bengals bringing in Brown but he will show up and play RT if he's not traded. I don't agree with his stance but I understand his thought process. 

At the end of the day, these guys are better than the guys behind them on the depth charts so until there's a clearly better option available for a starting Pro Bowl RB in the prime of their career or a team that wants to give up a day 1 or 2 draft pick for Jonah Williams and his salary then it doesn't make sense to cut them when you don't have too. 

Fluffing Mixon by folding in his stats from 2 years ago is disingenuous. He was simply bad last year. Going to a Pro Bowl before or his age won't change that. Likewise expecting a high draft pick for Jonah doesn't change the fact that he is a liability. Pass rushers don't care where we drafted him when they're dozing him into Burrow's knee.

I agree that sometimes starting bad, overpriced players out of a misguided sense of loyalty is "who the Bengals are". They need to stop being that if they want to be a championship-winning franchise instead. The two are not compatible.

23 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble gupps, but PFF actually gave the Stealers an "A+"...that's why they don't show up on the "A to A-" list with us.  Ravens got a "B" so at least there's that.

Thanks for harshing my mellow 🤢

However this made me forget that (be sure to FF to about 2:20)

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Mixon is playing at a high level...the last 2 seasons he's had 2,774 yards from scrimmage on 604 touches for 25 TDs with only 2 fumbles. Sure he could improve on blocking and his salary is higher than what most fans think he deserves, but when he was on his rookie deal and was underpaid it wasn't a big deal. That's how it works, you know that. If anything Joe is going to get to play out his contract because of the loyalty that MB shows his players, it's just who the Bengals are. Also, I think Mixon has more in the tank as he is in the prime of his career at 26 but will be 27 by the time the season starts. He has spent most of his adult life with the Bengals and matured into a productive player and until he's proven guilty in court he should be given the benefit of the doubt. 

As for Jonah, yes, he has struggled but he also played hurt and sacrificed for the Bengals. I'm sure he's a bit butt hurt about the Bengals bringing in Brown but he will show up and play RT if he's not traded. I don't agree with his stance but I understand his thought process. 

At the end of the day, these guys are better than the guys behind them on the depth charts so until there's a clearly better option available for a starting Pro Bowl RB in the prime of their career or a team that wants to give up a day 1 or 2 draft pick for Jonah Williams and his salary then it doesn't make sense to cut them when you don't have too. 

I feel about the same with one caveat. If keeping one or both of these guys at their salary impacts the extensions of Higgins or Wilson negatively I'd be highly disappointed.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Fluffing Mixon by folding in his stats from 2 years ago is disingenuous. He was simply bad last year. Going to a Pro Bowl before or his age won't change that. Likewise expecting a high draft pick for Jonah doesn't change the fact that he is a liability. Pass rushers don't care where we drafted him when they're dozing him into Burrow's knee.

I agree that sometimes starting bad, overpriced players out of a misguided sense of loyalty is "who the Bengals are". They need to stop being that if they want to be a championship-winning franchise instead. The two are not compatible.

How am I fluffing the stats by stating facts...just because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't mean I'm being disingenuous or exaggerating Mixon's past production, those are his stats. 

As for Jonah, yeah he's been subpar at times but he was playing with a busted knee cap so you have to build that into his evaluation. I would be ok with trading him if you can find a partner that will give you value, but worst case he provides quality depth. I would rather have Jonah coming off the bench than Hakeem Adjeni or any of the current options. 

I guess it's just a matter of perspective, the Bengals believe in their evaluations and the guys they draft and they are willing to give them every opportunity to succeed. 

Inertia is the Bengals default mode. The best time to trade Jonah would have been before the draft so a potential trade partner could evaluate his knees and probably discuss a contract extension with him. That would have brought the most value to them and thus to the Bengals trade compensation. There is no evidence the team tried to move him though. I hope you don't think we should extend his contract with the Bengals?

Mixon was a below average NFL RB last year, despite an improved O-line. He's not getting any younger and has a great risk of suspension. Not to mention that he and Collins and Jonah add up to about 26 mil in cap space. That might cover the signing bonus on extensions for both Higgins and Wilson. 

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

How am I fluffing the stats by stating facts...just because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't mean I'm being disingenuous or exaggerating Mixon's past production, those are his stats. 

It's like saying "oh he rushed for 1200 yards over the last two seasons" when really it was 1150 one year and 50 the next.

Mixon sucked last year. There's no extra credit for the year before that. No good reason to pay him like a top 5 RB. This whole loyalty thing is kind of funny when you know these dudes would take a fatter contract somewhere else in a heartbeat. Yet they're going to keep sending him out there to run into the back of the OL and whiff on blocks. It's absurd.

Archived