8. 8. DJ Ivey, CB

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C or worse
  9. 9. Which Bengals draft pick is your favorite? (personally)

• Myles Murphy
    • DJ Turner
    • Jordan Battle
    • Charlie Jones
    • Chase Brown
    • Andrei Iosivas
    • Brad Robbins
    • DJ Ivey
  10. 10. Which Bengals draftee will have the best 2023 Season and contribute the most?

• Myles Murphy
    • DJ Turner
    • Jordan Battle
    • Charlie Jones
    • Chase Brown
    • Andrei Iosivas
    • Brad Robbins
    • DJ Ivey

I seriously doubt Mixon is on this team when we open the season. They’re talking a good game now because his court proceedings are still ongoing. Once that shit gets settled though, he’s out on his ass, IMO. 

10 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I seriously doubt Mixon is on this team when we open the season. They’re talking a good game now because his court proceedings are still ongoing. Once that shit gets settled though, he’s out on his ass, IMO. 

Here's hoping. He's dead weight.

12 hours ago, spicoli said:

No chance. None. Barring injury Mixon is your opening day starter. 

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

No chance. None. Barring injury Mixon is your opening day starter. 

Seeing that there is no one in the building you could expect to take his place this is probably correct.

It's a real odd RB room.  Two of the guys, Williams and Evans, the Bengals have shown little to no confidence in them.  Evans in particular is a head scratcher.  He flashes talent, but obviously in chateau bow-wow.  His history at Michigan has plenty of red flags as well.  I suspect the Bengals are hoping he grows up (mentally) one day.

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Seeing that there is no one in the building you could expect to take his place this is probably correct.

It's a real odd RB room.  Two of the guys, Williams and Evans, the Bengals have shown little to no confidence in them.  Evans in particular is a head scratcher.  He flashes talent, but obviously in chateau bow-wow.  His history at Michigan has plenty of red flags as well.  I suspect the Bengals are hoping he grows up (mentally) one day.

The Bengals told us they were going to try to find a Perine replacement. It's one of those when someone tells you who they are, believe them moments. There was/is some groupthink around here about Mixon, but the team likes/is comfortable with him. I can't think of a time in the Taylor era when they were just blowing smoke when they told you what they wanted to do. This idea that it was "coach speak" about Mixon is just inaccurate. He's going to start, in fact, I would go so far as to say it's very likely he plays out his contract. All the knuckle-gnashing about it isn't going to change that.

I have been and remain of the opinion that Mixon isn't the problem in the running game, and that the Oline not opening holes is the problem. Hopefully Brown can help with that, but I am a bit disappointed we couldn't find a run mauler at RT. Hopefully, Carman can be that guy, otherwise, I don't have a great feeling about the running game getting right.

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It's like saying "oh he rushed for 1200 yards over the last two seasons" when really it was 1150 one year and 50 the next.

Mixon sucked last year. There's no extra credit for the year before that. No good reason to pay him like a top 5 RB. This whole loyalty thing is kind of funny when you know these dudes would take a fatter contract somewhere else in a heartbeat. Yet they're going to keep sending him out there to run into the back of the OL and whiff on blocks. It's absurd.

Actually, it's not.  Mixon had over 1,200 yards from scrimmage and 9 TDs last year, that's a solid season. Mixon could have been last year, I'm sure he will be the first one to tell you that, but he still has value and I would argue he's a top-15 RB in the NFL. 

He definitely needs a bounce-back season and I could see if the Bengals wanted to restructure or flat-out cut him, but if that doesn't happen I'm not going act like the season is over and the front office/coaching staff are complete morons. If Mixon gets himself out of this legal situation unscathed then I could see a path to him retaining his starting role at his current salary. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Evans has the talent, I suspect we will see a ton of him in the preseason as it's his time to show what he can do. 

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I think they have liked the way Williams is developing. Callahan mentioned that he has improved a lot as a pass protector. Just something he never was asked to do in college. Brown wasn't asked to do it much either, but he is a guy who the coaches say is "willing" to pass block. That's the most important thing. He will just need to be coached up.

13 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Is this guy a head case or what? Seems to have the talent but unwilling or unable to unlock it?

Not sure about that, he doesn't seem to get many opportunities. Maybe he's not practicing well or what, but I love to see him get more opportunities because he does have big play ability. He made a great catch for a TD last season. 

1 hour ago, dex said:

I think they have liked the way Williams is developing. Callahan mentioned that he has improved a lot as a pass protector. Just something he never was asked to do in college. Brown wasn't asked to do it much either, but he is a guy who the coaches say is "willing" to pass block. That's the most important thing. He will just need to be coached up.

After watching various videos of the Brown twins, I'd say the "willing" is quite an understatement.  The focus, competitiveness, and drive those boys show is off the charts.  Watching the way Sydney tackles, I have no doubt that Chase can bulldoze some fools if/when asked.  Really looking forward to see what he can do in rookie camp, training camp, and hopefully right into the regular season and beyond.

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Actually, it's not.  Mixon had over 1,200 yards from scrimmage and 9 TDs last year, that's a solid season. Mixon could have been last year, I'm sure he will be the first one to tell you that, but he still has value and I would argue he's a top-15 RB in the NFL. 

He definitely needs a bounce-back season and I could see if the Bengals wanted to restructure or flat-out cut him, but if that doesn't happen I'm not going act like the season is over and the front office/coaching staff are complete morons. If Mixon gets himself out of this legal situation unscathed then I could see a path to him retaining his starting role at his current salary. 

Sure, maybe he bounces back. Would you bet a SB win on that? For a team trying to get over the last hurdle I don't understand the complacency.

33 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Sure, maybe he bounces back. Would you bet a SB win on that? For a team trying to get over the last hurdle I don't understand the complacency.

Please name one back you would replace Mixon with, like a real live actual person that is available that is hands down better than Mixon.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Please name one back you would replace Mixon with, like a real live actual person that is available that is hands down better than Mixon.

How about literally any RB that was a free agent in the last 3 months plus every RB that went in the first 3 rounds of the draft? "Hands down better than Mixon" just means willing to block, not owed $13 million, and not facing weapons charges. Hell I'd settle for 2 of the 3.

This narrative that they had no other option but Mixon is nonsense, I'm not sure why you'd even suggest it.

Anyway I'm pretty happy with this draft class I just wish they would've taken the opportunity to address either of the two weakest positions on the offense.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

How about literally any RB that was a free agent in the last 3 months plus every RB that went in the first 3 rounds of the draft? "Hands down better than Mixon" just means willing to block, not owed $13 million, and not facing weapons charges. Hell I'd settle for 2 of the 3.

This narrative that they had no other option but Mixon is nonsense, I'm not sure why you'd even suggest it.

Anyway I'm pretty happy with this draft class I just wish they would've taken the opportunity to address either of the two weakest positions on the offense.

Exactly, you can't name one RB. 

They did draft an RB and signed a UDFA OT that was very productive in college, besides they have invested a lot draft capital in those positions since Taylor became HC.. they have spent numerous picks on the offensive line and running backs positions. At some point these guys have to develop and receive an opportunity to play, I believe this is the year for many of these draft picks to show what they can do now that they have been in the NFL for a few years. 

16 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Exactly, you can't name one RB. 

:rolleyes:

C'mon man...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks/

If they were talking about open competition instead of anointing Mixon like he'd pulled a sword from a stone I might agree with your second point. 

20 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

He is not better than Mixon right now. This is silly.

Same YPC last year, blocks, doesn't wave guns in traffic or have family blasting away on his back lawn like Scarface...

How is he not better than Mixon? and at 1/2 the price at worst? 

This is silly.

25 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Same YPC last year, blocks, doesn't wave guns in traffic or have family blasting away on his back lawn like Scarface...

How is he not better than Mixon? and at 1/2 the price at worst? 

This is silly.

And yet has been sitting in FA for weeks.

Also does not catch passes out of the backfield or offer what Mixon does in the passing game.

Mixon is RB1 and is going to remain RB1, they told you that before the draft. 

21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It's like saying "oh he rushed for 1200 yards over the last two seasons" when really it was 1150 one year and 50 the next.

Mixon sucked last year. There's no extra credit for the year before that. No good reason to pay him like a top 5 RB. This whole loyalty thing is kind of funny when you know these dudes would take a fatter contract somewhere else in a heartbeat. Yet they're going to keep sending him out there to run into the back of the OL and whiff on blocks. It's absurd.

You’re bitching like that was his stats.  Did he play better the year before, yes, but it was not by some incredible amount.  Did you ever play football?  

Archived