What are everyone's thoughts on Ben Baby from ESPN?  He's the current Bengals beat writer, but to me it seems like his stories lack any kind of in-depth knowledge, behind the scenes looks or anything worth clicking on really.  I miss the days of Coley Harvey, he was only here for a short time, but I felt like his articles were worth reading.

• Upvote 1

There’s a reason I subscribe to the Athletic…Dehner and Morrison by themselves are worth it. They are excellent and most of the rest of the

market isn’t close to their level of coverage. Charlie Goldsmith with the Enq will occasionally drop some excellent pieces but his time is often split between bengals and reds.

• Upvote 2

Baby seems to have shifted more content over to Instagram which I'm not sure why, maybe he has a problem with Elon Musk, idk. He also seems to not particularly care about the Bengals, as he seems like he wishes he could be in Texas (his home state) most of the time. 

I agree Coley was a good reporter for the Bengals as far as national outlets go.

Agree with Mem in that PDJ and JM with the Athletic are fantastic, I have been listening to the HTPG growling podcast for years now.

Charlie Goldsmith and recently Kelsey Conway with the Enquirer have been pretty good, Charlie is on the Reds beat though so you have to take that interspersed with Bengals stuff.

Joe Danneman and Jeremy Rauch of Fox19 are pretty good too.

idk much about clns media but I think Trags (Mike Petraglia) is underrated, I enjoy his columns and he always takes good videos of camp. He has the Jungle Roar podcast and usually invites other reporters on the beat.

James Rapien is decent, he also posts a lot of good video through his CBT (Cincy Bengals Talk) channel on YouTube.

I think ultimately we are blessed with pretty good reporters.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Another vote here for the Athletic.  If you are a fan of teams other than where you live it is the best deal going.  It's not perfect, but the writers are generally pretty good. 

100%

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

Is he still working?  ESPN is chopping heads.

I believe he survived this round of cuts, but he dropped Twitter for whatever reason. I don't typically frequent ESPN.com so probably won't be seeing much more from him

• Upvote 2