Burrow as ‘Dexter’

Joe Burrow is of course physically talented, he has the height (6’4), speed, agility, and arm talent (touch & accuracy) to be a dominant QB. As a coach’s son he also is a student of the game, studies his opponents, and has savant level field vision etc.

But what if what really sets him apart, is that he has ice in his veins, and does not get a raise in resting heartbeat when he’s under intense pressure, because he metaphorically has the ruthless emotionless calm of a "killer" – without the homicidal cruelty of course?

Trey Wingo recited a story recently about the childhood Burrow and the comparison to Dexter Morgan 🔪 …

As a fan of the former series Dexter, I actually love the comparison, as I always considered him the ‘good guy’ of the show (he only killed people who deserved it). In the same way, Burrow is heartless and only rips the heart out of opposing teams who deserve to lose.

In fact, I have even made this comparison before, that Shiesty had the “Dexter stare” and made + posted the below image, so I feel vindicated.

IMG_20230125_165231.jpg.de2be70f027727ce7f99d31828bb3287.jpg

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Not a fan (of) Dexter.

I think Wingo's point is less an endorsement of the show specifically, and more the idea that Burrow's "Joe Cool" demeanor in the 4th quarter (which many players and coaches speak of) might be more psychologically clinical, rather than learned. 

you all do realise , dexter is not reality , and joe burrow, is ......

comparing him to a fake scripted  fictitious character isnt fair to dexter nor a compliment to joe. 

if his coolness under pressure is a learned trait, then it must be continually reinforced, which means it can also be unlearned  or disrupted by mistakes or bad luck.  

14 hours ago, stryker57 said:

you all do realise , dexter is not reality

You do realize what a cinematic reference is? Of course they are not real. If I say someone has the "demeanor of Scarface", I probably don't mean he literally does cocaine and shoots people. They are analogies to popular characters or tropes that people can identify with.

In this case, Burrow's confidence of "Just put the ball in my hands", shows that he welcomes intense stress in an unnatural way to most people. Then the way he doesn't flinch and show emotion as he beats his opponent and causes them sadness, has an icy coldness to it, hence the Dexter reference.

14 hours ago, stryker57 said:

if his coolness under pressure is a learned trait

That's the point. It may not be learned as he had it as an 8 year-old (in the story), perhaps since birth even.

In the same way some little kids are playing Tchaikovsky at 5 after a few piano lessons, Burrow's unique psychology to handle intense pressure itself might be innate. And when coupled with all his preparation, obsessive work ethic, and gifted physical athleticism - makes for the one of the best QBs of all time.

11 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

You do realize what a cinematic reference is? Of course they are not real. If I say someone has the "demeanor of Scarface", I probably don't mean he literally does cocaine and shoots people. They are analogies to popular characters or tropes that people can identify with.

In this case, Burrow's confidence of "Just put the ball in my hands", shows that he welcomes intense stress in an unnatural way to most people. Then the way he doesn't flinch and show emotion as he beats his opponent and causes them sadness, has an icy coldness to it, hence the Dexter reference.

That's the point. It may not be learned as he had it as an 8 year-old (in the story), perhaps since birth even.

In the same way some little kids are playing Tchaikovsky at 5 after a few piano lessons, Burrow's unique psychology to handle intense pressure itself might be innate. And when coupled with all his preparation, obsessive work ethic, and gifted physical athleticism - makes for the one of the best QBs of all time.

Well said, but I'm not seeing it.  Someone with that kind of pathology is mentally ill, it's not going to be limited to football.  Their personal relationships & so on would suffer too. They're not going to be going out of their way to support certain charities or speaking out about childhood poverty.  I guess you could argue it's all an act but I don't think he's faking it.

All in all it's a weirdass take.  Dude's just a baller with incredible focus. I think everyone has that sort of headspace they can access even though it's not when facing an NFL pass rush. Call it being in the zone or whatever. No need to make serial killer comparisons, albeit fictional ones. :shrug:

I liked Dexter, and I like the analogy.  I heard a number of people referring to Burrow as an assassin after the Bills game, and I liked to hear it. Of course they weren't saying he kills people, hates children, kicks kittens or anything else a psychopath might like. Strictly football. He has a cool demeanor while delivering the goods consistently in a very rough sport. Like Dexter, he doesn't talk about what he does, he just works at it with maniacal focus. He's not foolish enough to be grandiose about himself, but he's icy enough to quip, "better send those refunds", when someone else broaches a touchy subject. I get it.

1 hour ago, A Rock said:

I liked Dexter, and I like the analogy.  I heard a number of people referring to Burrow as an assassin after the Bills game, and I liked to hear it. Of course they weren't saying he kills people, hates children, kicks kittens or anything else a psychopath might like. Strictly football. He has a cool demeanor while delivering the goods consistently in a very rough sport. Like Dexter, he doesn't talk about what he does, he just works at it with maniacal focus. He's not foolish enough to be grandiose about himself, but he's icy enough to quip, "better send those refunds", when someone else broaches a touchy subject. I get it.

Good post ..nice analogy of Joe Cool..

As long as we have him we have a shot in any game..

Only a handful in the NFL..

14 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

My Browns loving hubby still refers to Burrow as "the backup QB" and says he hopes we throw a long term contract at him.

Son, on the other hand, is more sensible and wishes the Browns had Burrow. 

54 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

My Browns loving hubby still refers to Burrow as "the backup QB" and says he hopes we throw a long term contract at him.

All you have to say is "Deshaun Watson". 

In fact any time he talks about the Browns you could just slowly shake your head and whisper "Deshaun Watson". End of conversation.

3 hours ago, Shebengal said:

Son, on the other hand, is more sensible and wishes the Browns had Burrow. 

Husband is a loyal fan.

Son is a smart fan.. 😎

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

All you have to say is "Deshaun Watson". 

In fact any time he talks about the Browns you could just slowly shake your head and whisper "Deshaun Watson". End of conversation.

Deshaun Watson is going to save their team, dontchaknow?? :)

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

this thread went absolutely the dumbest way it ever possibly could have. 

What if ... now hear me out ... you tried not being so grumpy? :23: 

Plus it's the offseason. Hell, last week's team discussion revolved around a headband.

2 hours ago, Shebengal said:

Deshaun Watson is going to save their team, dontchaknow?? :)

Like an out of court settlement saves women from having to publicly identify Deshaun Watson's balloon knot in a butt lineup?

Or more like a coupon for a first round draft pick in 2025?

Archived