Some first hand accounts...

Homer_Rice

The whole mess is indeed a tragic affair, and there were failures in some respects at every level of government on both sides of the aisle.
What I kinda want to scream is "It's a FUCKING HURRICANE! The best laid plans for any evacuation/city or whatever is always subject to the severity of the disaster and it was a CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE! In a city where they KNEW the BIG ONE was coming! You CHOOSE to live below sea level and you're surrounded by water! And the outpuring of relief is unbelievable! I am sorry that you chose to stick around when you were warned to leave before the hurricane hit, and you were probably feeling pretty smart about your decision in the immediate wake of the hurricane, but once the unanticipated levee break occured, you cried foul against the government. How in the FUCK do you plan for such a disaster, and how do you explain your corrupt state and local governments refusal to disabuse themselves of command of the emergency to federal control simply because of ego?"
People act like because we're America that we should have some newfangled technology in place to zap floodwaters in case they occur...
Ray Nagin is a fool, and he'll probably be re-elected. And I guarantee he'll have a plan for school buses to assist in future evacuations....
And Blanco...Jesus Christ, does anyone with eyes to see and ears to hear give this female product of the corrupt Louisiana system any real credit?
This whole thing is sad, and aggravatingly politicized, which I gues I just added to, to my own chagrin...

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 22 2005, 02:21 AM']Can't say that I disagree with whaty you say, Bung. The reason I posted the link is because of the human side of events. It's easy to forget that these are just folks, like you, like me.
[right][post="154748"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I know, especially with all the governmental and media finger-pointing and hand-wringing over the whole ghastly mess...
If all the energy that had been spent on laying blame had instead gone into the relief effort, things may have turned out a bit for the better....

Archived