New Show about Woman President

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus

[quote][img]http://tinypic.com/e14zeh.jpg[/img]
[u]Madam President, Madam President
Think Hillary Clinton has a friend in 'Commander in Chief'? You betcha.
by Kristen Lombardi
September 26th, 2005
[/u]

Imagine this: You see a woman, tall and elegant, with a power-flip hairdo and ruby lips, take an oath of office. You hear her aides call out the words, "Madam President."

Could it be real? Well, on TV it could. America finally has a female president, or at least someone who plays the part on television. Geena Davis is taking over the Oval Office in the prime-time Tuesday drama Commander in Chief, premiering September 27 on ABC. The actress plays Vice President Mackenzie "Mac" Allen, a wife and mother, yes, who is catapulted into the nation's top post after the president has a brain aneurysm.

Already, the show has made for real-life buzz. The White House Project, which works to elevate women in politics, is hosting house parties nationwide and offering screenings in Manhattan; Washington, D.C.; and Denver. Says Donna Good, who's planning a 200-strong gathering in Boston, "It's the first time popular culture has said a woman can be in the Oval Office."

It's timely, too, what with speculation about Senator Hillary Clinton making a White House bid in 2008. Polls show 39 percent of Democrats favor Clinton as the party's next pick, compared with 21 percent for John Kerry.

Clinton, of course, says she's focused on her Senate campaign next year. But plenty of supporters hope the ABC program will start getting the nation accustomed to the idea of a female president—and thus a President Hillary.

"Hillary must have friends at ABC," says Bob Kunst, of hillarynow.com, a grassroots effort to "draft" Clinton to be the next president. "This is just too much of a coincidence."

Actually, Clinton does have friends on the show. Writer Steve Cohen used to work for her in the 1990s, serving as the then first lady's deputy communications director. "I have no doubt she is capable, qualified, and ready to be the president of the United States should she choose to run," he tells the Voice, in all candor.

But Cohen isn't the show's creator. And that man, Rod Lurie, though a Clinton supporter, has said he modeled his female president not on Hillary, but on Susan Lyne, the former head of ABC who now runs the Martha Stewart empire. Besides, the program works in any woman's favor, Democrat or Republican. For Mac is an independent in a post-G.W. administration. "We support the notion of a female president from either side of the aisle," Cohen says.

That notion seems one whose time has come. Forty-six other nations have had a woman president. This month, polling data found that 79 percent of the American public would be comfortable with one. And pundits are salivating at the prospect of an all-woman contest between Clinton and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice; next month, Dick Morris is coming out with a book, 
Condi v. Hillary: The Next Great Presidential Race.

Marie Wilson, of the White House Project, has long understood that they can't break down barriers to the Oval Office unless they change minds. And they can't change minds unless they show an alternative.

Enter Commander in Chief, which lets people see a female president tackling problems. The pilot, for example, features Mac confronting doubts that a woman is tough enough to lead America. Before dying, the incapacitated president asks her to resign. So do the president's backers, who believe she was a "token" on the ticket.

Over the weeks, as Mac seeps into the American audience, people will get to explore her leadership. That, Wilson says, "can pave the way for a real female president."

Hillary fans are counting on it. Luke Montgomery of Manhattan launched bill-for-first-lady.com last week to generate a million e-mails urging the senator to go for the Oval Office. He and fellow fans made plans to hold a September 27 rally outside ABC studios just to "thank" the network. The campaign will bring out its mascot, a cross-dressing Bill, in signature pink. "We're getting the jokes out of the way before 2008," explains Montgomery, who has "a zillion reasons" Bill's wife would make a great president.

Top among them is the passion she stirs in people. When the Bill for First Lady campaign hit the streets in Washington, D.C., weeks ago, people responded, snapping photos, hugging volunteers. Some shouted, "Run, Hillary, run."

Even folks in red states are warming up to Clinton. In June, Kunst pulled his truck, plastered with hillarynow.com posters, into a small town in Tennessee. People flocked to him, pressing money into his hand and buying up all 700 of his $2 stickers. He always runs into what he calls "the hysterical, 'I hate her' stuff," yet lately he's encountered more people wondering about Clinton as a leader. Commander in Chief can help "tremendously," he says, so long as it doesn't trivialize the issue.

The show might transform the electorate. Then again, notes Susan Murray of New York University, it might end up like another fictional presidency, the one on West Wing, whose audience tunes in precisely because it's a liberal fantasy. "TV," she adds, "is presenting the opposite of what people imagine in real life."

But if a female candidate wins in '08, Cohen promises, "we will absolutely take credit for it." [/quote]

[color="red"]I want John Edwards, so hopefully not :thumbsdown: [/color]

Guest BlackJesus
[b]Republicans want Hillary because they know she won't play well through most of America....

Just like Republicans wanted Kerry and the Dems gave him to them....

If the Dems are smart they will run the newly polished Edwards, who has combined his bristling honesty and commitment to halt poverty with the information to back up his vision.

And he doesn't wind surf [/b]

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 28 2005, 04:23 PM'][b]Republicans want Hillary because they know she won't play well through most of America....

Just like Republicans wanted Kerry and the Dems gave him to them....

If the Dems are smart they will run the newly polished Edwards, who has combined his bristling honesty and commitment to halt poverty with the information to back up his vision. 

And he doesn't wind surf [/b]
[right][post="159238"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

edwards might be a better canidate than kerry, but he still won't carry the south, which is a must... he couldn't even take north carolina, where he is a senator...

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]edwards might be a better canidate than kerry, but he still won't carry the south, which is a must... he couldn't even take north carolina, where he is a senator...[/quote]

[b]Mother Theresa couldn't have carried the South as VP with Kerry on the top of the ticket.....

Lets be honest here.... Kerry was the worst imaginable candidate when it came to Southern Voters

New Englander
hung out with Jane Fonda
Windsurfed
snowboarded
ate Caviar
Owned multiple mansions
Had an outspoken bitchy wife (who didn't cook)
Good vocabulary - to go with a pompous voice

-----------------

[color="blue"]Edwards can't be blamed for that ...... In 08' you will see, Edwards will play very well in the South - (southern accent, self made, down home charm, from a poor family, went to state school (not ivy league), down home wife, great appeal amongst the poor and especially blacks, and now has the gravitas to go with his ideas. His speeches last time around were somewhat vague, now he has beefened them up with lots of information to back up his plans.... and even though he may not carry most of the south, he will play well I believe in some areas, and especially with Blacks - whom the republicans have lost all hopes of ever courting now.[/color] [/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 28 2005, 05:38 PM'][b]Mother Theresa couldn't have carried the South as VP with Kerry on the top of the ticket.....

Lets be honest here.... Kerry was the worst imaginable candidate when it came to Southern Voters

New Englander
hung out with Jane Fonda
Windsurfed
snowboarded
ate Caviar
Owned multiple mansions
Had an outspoken bitchy wife (who didn't cook)
Good vocabulary - to go with a pompous voice
-----------------

[color="blue"]Edwards can't be blamed for that ...... In 08' you will see, Edwards will play very well in the South - (southern accent, self made, down home charm, from a poor family, went to state school (not ivy league), down home wife, great appeal amongst the poor and especially blacks, and now has the gravitas to go with his ideas.  His speeches last time around were somewhat vague, now he has beefened them up with lots of information to back up his plans.... and even though he may not carry most of the south, he will play well I believe in some areas, and especially with Blacks - whom the republicans have lost all hopes of ever courting now.[/color]  [/b]
[right][post="159256"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

While I like Edwards I think you’re being overly optimistic about the south, he couldn’t even win his own senate reelection.

The only two reservations I do have about him are experience and the fact that he is a former ambulance chaser which makes me wonder how likely he would it be that he supports tort reform.

Guest bengalrick

[img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/12/edwards.stem.cell/story.edwards.jpg[/img]

[i]"If we do the work that we can do in this country, the work that we will do when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve will get up out of that wheelchair and walk again,"[/i]

:blink:

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]"If we do the work that we can do in this country, the work that we will do when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve will get up out of that wheelchair and walk again,"[/quote]

[b]And....

he is making a reference to the Fact that George Bush halts Stem Cell research because of a phony 2,000 year old Fable book that he vaguely interprets to mean that using petri dish goo is against Jesus.....

I hope I don't need to begin rehashing some of "W"s best Quotes .... Hell there is an entire industry that prints Bushisms [/b]

Why not McCain?

I've always had a bit of soft spot for Gephardt(sp?)...since he didn't make it very far in process i didn't get enough data to form a conclusikon.

No way any Clevelander is gonna let a whore of babylon get into the highest office in the land (their words not mine) she'd get blasted like R.F.K.

Maybe Bills eggin her on?

:ninja:

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 28 2005, 06:04 PM'][b]And....

he is making a reference to the Fact that George Bush halts Stem Cell research because of a phony 2,000 year old Fable book that he vaguely interprets to mean that using petri dish goo is against Jesus.....
I hope I don't need to begin rehashing some of "W"s best Quotes .... Hell there is an entire industry that prints Bushisms [/b]
[right][post="159289"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
we all knew Bush wanted to fight in iraq, we knew he was against stem cell research, we knew he was christian, we knew he was a hardcore republican, there have been no surprises since he was elected.

so why did you vote for him?

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]so why did you vote for him?[/quote]

[i][b]I didn't vote for him....

I wanted him to defeat Kerry out of the two (which now I regret), but I voted for a 3rd party candidate[/b][/i]

Archived