'Lost Picture Files'

Guest Enon Bengal

Guest Enon Bengal
I upgraded one of my computers to XP a couple of months back. I went to upload pictures from the digital camera this past weekend and cannot find my folders that had all of my pictures prior to the upgrade. I did a search on the folder names and the generic *.jpg file extension and still can't find them. I guy at work suggested I go into tools\folder options\view and turn on hidden folders. I did this and found some pictures I kept in a separate folder for emailing, (because I re-sized them.) I still can't find the 1,000's of pictures that were on the hard drive before XP.

Any ideas? Thanks.

yikes, the search options you did would have been my first steps, where were these folders? on the desktop? if so they may be gone, this is why you back everything up :D i have always put everything in a zip folder and stuck it on my server then done the upgrade and then downloaded it...

what option did you use choose when upgrading, i think some wipe the drive clean then do a fresh install, im guessing you didnt do that one since you found SOME photos...

Guest Enon Bengal

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Sep 29 2005, 08:13 PM']yikes, the search options you did would have been my first steps, where were these folders? on the desktop? if so they may be gone, this is why you back everything up  :D   i have always put everything in a zip folder and stuck it on my server then done the upgrade and then downloaded it...

what option did you use choose when upgrading, i think some wipe the drive clean then do a fresh install, im guessing you didnt do that one since you found SOME photos...
[right][post="159935"][/post][/right][/quote]
Hey Ryan,

Thanks for replying. I'm a little fuzzy as to where I had the original picture folders. They weren't on the desk top. I think I had them as 'sub-folders' within camera's software directory. I didn't do the fresh install. Everything else that was on the hard drive previous works fine and I haven't had to re-install anything.

I do have the pictures the kids were never intended to see backed up to cd :)

Thanks,

Scott

You may try a program like Digital Photo Recovery or Photo Rescue. It'll scan your drive for any bit patterns that resemble a jpg, gif, bmp, etc. I used them when one of my camera's flash cards got corrupted and it worked pretty well. Some pictures came out looking funny but most were salvagable. It's been a while, so there's probably better programs out there now. Try download.com and see what they've got...

[url="http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tag=srch&qt=photo+recovery&tg=dl-20"]http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?t...covery&tg=dl-20[/url]

Guest Enon Bengal
[quote name='Notorious' date='Sep 29 2005, 11:14 PM']I havent had a chance to use it my self yet, but I've had several people come back and told me this program worked great when they needed to recover files. Might want to check it out..

[url="http://www.recovermyfiles.com/"]http://www.recovermyfiles.com/[/url]
[right][post="159981"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
This looks promising, especially this part:

See your deleted files before you decide to purchase!

Thanks

Guest Enon Bengal
[quote name='Notorious' date='Sep 29 2005, 11:14 PM']I havent had a chance to use it my self yet, but I've had several people come back and told me this program worked great when they needed to recover files. Might want to check it out..

[url="http://www.recovermyfiles.com/"]http://www.recovermyfiles.com/[/url]
[right][post="159981"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Trying this one while the wife is at work...

Guest Enon Bengal

I'm still needing some help. This pricey software has found the majority of my picture files. I tried saving them to the hard drive but the software says 'not a good move dummy, since this is where you're recovering the files from.' Makes sense. I tried writing them to the cd drive but apparently it's not working. I tried to save them to the c: drive of another computer on my home network and now it says I need to map the drive. That's where I'm stuck.

I don't know how to map the drive. I don't even know which drive on which computer I should map. I'm running XP on all the computers and file sharing is turned on everywhere.

I think the death threat will be reduced to a severe beating if I can get worked out. Thanks.

:265:

[quote name='Enon Bengal' date='Sep 30 2005, 09:54 PM']I'm still needing some help. This pricey software has found the majority of my picture files. I tried saving them to the hard drive but the software says 'not a good move dummy, since this is where you're recovering the files from.' Makes sense. I tried writing them to the cd drive but apparently it's not working. I tried to save them to the c: drive of another computer on my home network and now it says I need to map the drive. That's where I'm stuck.

I don't know how to map the drive. I don't even know which drive on which computer I should map. I'm running XP on all the computers and file sharing is turned on everywhere.

I think the death threat will be reduced to a severe beating if I can get worked out. Thanks.
:265:
[right][post="160373"][/post][/right][/quote]
That's good news! At least you know the photos are there and recoverable.

If you've already got the file sharing turned on, you're halfway there already.
First, decide which computer and which drive you want to store the files on. It should probably be one that has plenty of room available. You can always move them around later after they are recovered.
On the PC that has the corrupt files on it, open "My Computer", select the Tools pull-down menu, and select "Map Network Drive". Assign a drive letter and browse for the computer/drive/folder that you want to save your files to.
Once you do that, you should be able to access that drive, read and write files from Windows Explorer just like any other drive.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Guest Enon Bengal
Success!! I think I was able to recover over 90% of what I originally had.

Cat, thanks for the help on mapping a drive. When it came time to copy the files, I couldn't find the drive I had created. I was looking on the wrong computer...

Notorious, thanks for the link to the software. It was worth the $70 bucks to be able to get the pictures back...

Ryan, thanks for providing a forum for everyone to come together. I really enjoy the community...

You guys have a good time in Jacksonville. Stay dry, stay safe, and I'll be looking for you on tv.

Scott

Archived