Libraries Rally Against Patriot Act

The Scales

ReTyped by Moi from the Erickson Tribune...

It's probably safe to say that most people in this country want protection from terrorism, but many of those same people feel that seizin library records is not a good way to go about it.

Joan Airoldi, director of the bibrary district in Whatcom County, Wash,. recounted her ordeal with the FBI in an article she wrote this year for the USA TODAY. On June 8, 2004, a FBI agent stopped by a library in her district and requested a list of all the people who had checked out a biography of Osama bin Laden.

Long story short, the library fought the action of the FBI and the agency eventually withdrew the request.

"A crime is about what you do, not about what you read or what you think," says Michael Gorman, president of the ALA.

But Deroy Murdock, contributing editor for the [i]National Review[/i] thinks otherwise. In his April 2005 column titled "Check this Out," he writes that Congress should "explicitly add libraries to the locations where federal investigators may hunt terrorists..." He cites a list of criminals, from the 9/11 hijackers to the Unabomber, who "used libraries as tactical assets."

"Monitoring what people read is the sort of thing totalitarian countries do." counters Gorman. "In America, you give people access to everything without fear of consequences."

end article

So I ask you fellow americans "Do you side with Micheal Gorman or Deroy Murdock and the current administration on this issue?"

Becareful Big Brother is watching.

Archived