Anthony Smith

interesting snippet from Chuck Ludwig in the Dayton Daily News.....

Scoring a safety

Bengals defensive backs coach Kevin Boyle and sidekick Louie Cioffi were all over the Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala., last week. The objects of their scrutiny were strong safeties Greg Blue (Georgia), Pat Watkins (Florida State), Roman Harper (Alabama) and Anthony Smith (Syracuse).

[b]Smith appears to be making the biggest leap. Once thought to be a fifth-rounder, the 6-foot, 190-pounder should be a solid first-day choice because of his range, coverage and ability in run support.[/b]

Also, Pat Kirwan had this to say about Smith a few a couple of days ago at the senior bowl......

ANTHONY SMITH, safety, Syracuse. I got a chance to talk with Smith on Jan. 23, and he was an impressive young man who convinced me he has a passion for the game. As I watched him practice, it became evident that he has a very good ability to key and diagnose plays and react quickly. He likes to mix it up, he can come "downhill" at the running game and gets an above-average jump on pass plays. I spoke with Titans head coach Jeff Fisher, who is coaching the North squad, and he concurred with me about the talent of the Orange safety. [b]Smith kind of reminded me of former Syracuse great Donovin Darius.[/b] The Jan. 25 afternoon practice is where he jumped out at me the most during the week.

This guy is the ultimate Marvin Lewis type player - plays hard, tough, passionate, leader, special teams ace, can play run, tackles well, and can cover.

I want this guy more than any other player in round two. I've been pimping him for a few weeks now, but now I would really really really like this guy in stripes next season.

Thats great but everyone seems to be forgetting that ML wants safties who can play BOTH saftey positions.

While he does have good things about him all around, he'll have to learn the nuiances of 2 NFL positons, not just one.

I'd rather take someone like Chris Harrell (PSU) who's already been switching between FS and SS for 3 years. Harrell also has a leg up since he does have experience at CB as well.

Just my opinion.

[quote name='TheWretchedMass' post='210667' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:36 AM']Thats great but everyone seems to be forgetting that ML wants safties who can play BOTH saftey positions.

While he does have good things about him all around, he'll have to learn the nuiances of 2 NFL positons, not just one.

I'd rather take someone like Chris Harrell (PSU) who's already been switching between FS and SS for 3 years. Harrell also has a leg up since he does have experience at CB as well.

Just my opinion.[/quote]
He can play both safety positions (just like Madieu) and can also play cornerback in a pinch (just like Madieu). Don't let his 190 frame put you off, Madieu has the same height and size and can play SS. This guy is exactly like Madieu, which is what we need.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='210704' date='Jan 30 2006, 11:09 AM']He can play both safety positions (just like Madieu) and can also play cornerback in a pinch (just like Madieu). Don't let his 190 frame put you off, Madieu has the same height and size and can play SS. This guy is exactly like Madieu, which is what we need.[/quote]

I agree...I think Smith fits the profile, right down to his ST play for Syracuse. That means that, no matter what, he could be productive right from Day 1.

Funny...Harper and Watkins have been the other two I keep sticking on...So, I guess we might be learning SOMETHING about what the Bengals are looking for. (Or so we can keep telling ourselves. :blink: )

Wouldn't you just love to see Coyle's notes on all 4 of those guys (Blue, Harper, Watkins, Smith)...Now THAT would be interesting.

BZ

Guest Bengal_Smoov
His teammate , [url="http://www.suathletics.com/roster.asp?playerid=203&sport=187&roster=177&path=football"]James Wyche[/url], is a very interesting prospect as well.

[img]http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fsu/galleries/m-footbl-100904/fsu-syr-3-lg.jpg[/img]

Defensive End 6-6 267
Senior
Roosevelt, NY / Roosevelt

At SU: Ranks eighth on SU’s all-time tackles by a down lineman list with 145 … Ranks seventh on SU’s all-time tackles for a loss record list with 23.5 for a loss of 94 yards … Named 2005 pre-season BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year and rated fifth-best defensive end in the nation by The Sporting News.

Another note about Smith, did you guys know he's from Hubbard, OH??? I really like these two players, Smith would be a good 2nd round pick.

Wyche is interesting to me, because he looks like he has very prototypical size and speed for what you're looking for in a STARTING Defensive End.

I guess it's a matter of not living up to his billing (sacks-wise) that he dropped so low...But there was a lot of upheaval going on at Syracuse this year, and that defense got left on the field way too long.

In the end...I can see Wyche as a definite value pick in later rounds, because I believe he deserves to be higher.

BZ

Archived