Mike Maylock analyzes the top Defensive Backs & Linebackers

Just go to www.nfl.com and go to video section on right hand side.

2 videos - 'Draft Analyst Mike Maylock analyzes the top Defenive Backs' and 'Draft Analyst Mike Maylock analyzes the top Linebackers'.

Interesting take on safeties.

Maylock has them ranked as follows:

1. Donte Whitner
2. Anthony Smith
3. Daniel Bullocks
4. Darnell Bing
5. Ko Simpson

He says he isn't enamoured much with this year's safety class, and only gives Whitner a first round grade. He likes Anthony Smith alot and is a 2nd round lock, as is Daniel Bullocks. He thinks Bing and Simpson are 3rd round picks. He thinks Ko Simpson has come out of college a year too early.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='220749' date='Feb 21 2006, 07:09 AM']Just go to www.nfl.com and go to video section on right hand side.

2 videos - 'Draft Analyst Mike Maylock analyzes the top Defenive Backs' and 'Draft Analyst Mike Maylock analyzes the top Linebackers'.

1. Donte Whitner
2. Anthony Smith
3. Daniel Bullocks
4. Darnell Bing
5. Ko Simpson

He says he isn't enamoured much with this year's safety class, and only gives Whitner a first round grade. He likes Anthony Smith alot and is a 2nd round lock, as is Daniel Bullocks. He thinks Bing and Simpson are
3rd round picks. He thinks Ko Simpson has come out of college a year too early.[/quote]

He's right.

[quote name='TheWretchedMass' post='220847' date='Feb 21 2006, 12:42 PM'][quote name='EnglishBengal' post='220749' date='Feb 21 2006, 07:09 AM']
Just go to www.nfl.com and go to video section on right hand side.

1. Donte Whitner
2. Anthony Smith
3. Daniel Bullocks
4. Darnell Bing
5. Ko Simpson

He says he isn't enamoured much with this year's safety class, and only gives Whitner a first round grade. He likes Anthony Smith alot and is a 2nd round lock, as is Daniel Bullocks. He thinks Bing and Simpson are
3rd round picks. He thinks Ko Simpson has come out of college a year too early.[/quote]

He's right.
[/quote]

I'll second that. I like Ko Simpson and I love it if we drafted him, but I think taking him in round 1 may be a reach. I think it's better to get a safety in round 2 in this year's draft.

1. I put a lot more stock in the rankings of a NFL guy rather than draft guys who are tying to make the site the most popular.

2. I really expect us to sign a FA Saftey this year and pretty much nullify our need for a day 1 Saftey.

Whitner - overall solid in all aspects of his game. His film study habits really seal the deal with him.

Smith is an absolute CLONE of M. Williams. Same height, same weight, same college numbers, same knocks..EVERYTHING.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='TheWretchedMass' post='220917' date='Feb 21 2006, 02:38 PM']2. I really expect us to sign a FA Saftey this year and pretty much nullify our need for a day 1 Saftey.[/quote]

Who do you think it will be?

Ideally, Chris Hope.

IMO, He's out of place playing at FS in Pitt and would be better suited swithcing to SS.

Tank Williams, Will Demps and Ryan Clark would also top my list of considerations.

These are all guys who will sign for decent money but not break the bank.

Archuletta is not a Marvin type player at all and will want a ton of $$, I'll gladly pass.

[quote name='TheWretchedMass' post='220943' date='Feb 21 2006, 03:45 PM']Ideally, Chris Hope.

IMO, He's out of place playing at FS in Pitt and would be better suited swithcing to SS.

Tank Williams, Will Demps and Ryan Clark would also top my list of considerations.

These are all guys who will sign for decent money but not break the bank.

Archuletta is not a Marvin type player at all and will want a ton of $$, I'll gladly pass.[/quote]

I agree on Chris Hope. He's young and wouldn't cost much. But if we drafted a safety instead, then I'd go with Anthony Smith (I've been pimping this guy for a while) or Daniel Bullocks.

Archived