Bret Boone retires

Saying his inner fire is gone, Bret Boone, who was in Mets camp as a non-roster player, has chosen to retire.
"At the end of the day, physically I think I could still do it," Boone said. "It wasn't as easy as three or four years ago to get out there every day, but to me, I just lost it. I lost the edge." Many believe he lost his edge the day steroid testing began. Boone finishes his career at .266/.325/.442 with 252 homers and 1,021 RBI in 14 seasons. His best year came in 2001, when he hit .331-37-141 in his return to Seattle. He was a three-time All-Star and a four-time Gold Glover. Boone's departure leaves Kaz Matsui, Anderson Hernandez and Jeff Keppinger competing for the Mets' second-base job. Mar. 1 - 1:58 pm et
Source: Mets.mlb.com

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='224757' date='Mar 1 2006, 02:58 PM']Saying his inner fire is gone, Bret Boone, who was in Mets camp as a non-roster player, has chosen to retire.
"At the end of the day, physically I think I could still do it," Boone said. "It wasn't as easy as three or four years ago to get out there every day, but to me, I just lost it. I lost the edge." Many believe he lost his edge the day steroid testing began. Boone finishes his career at .266/.325/.442 with 252 homers and 1,021 RBI in 14 seasons. His best year came in 2001, when he hit .331-37-141 in his return to Seattle. He was a three-time All-Star and a four-time Gold Glover. Boone's departure leaves Kaz Matsui, Anderson Hernandez and Jeff Keppinger competing for the Mets' second-base job. Mar. 1 - 1:58 pm et
Source: Mets.mlb.com[/quote]

is it that inner fire Bret, or the fact that there is stricter steriod policies in the MLB now???

Archived