Auction...Marge's Reds stuff

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
Schott's memorabilia up for auction
By Joe Kay

Associated Press

CINCINNATI | There are Reds uniforms and replica World Series trophies, autographed baseballs and leftover Beanie Babies, a Pete Rose jersey and thousands of packs of baseball cards.

Packs of 1990s-vintage Reds cards are stuffed in cardboard boxes, stacked several feet high. Nearby is a box full of videotapes, many of them unmarked.

That's only the beginning of this most unusual collection.

The baseball memorabilia — perhaps "stuff" is a better description — that Cincinnati owner Marge Schott accumulated through the years will be auctioned off next Friday to benefit her charitable foundation. Thousands of items — some valuable, many merely fanciful — randomly were stored at her estate in suburban Indian Hill and her business office when she died in 2004.

Now, they're all up for bid.

"Marge was not a baseball collector in the true sense that she wanted to assemble a representative collection of things from the Cincinnati Reds," said Wes Cowan, founder of Cowan's Auctions in Cincinnati. "I think she was more of an accumulator and she was an opportunist.

"She had the opportunity as the owner of the Reds for nearly 15 years to grab stuff, and that's what she did."

• Items of interest: Schott's two, 12-inch-tall replicas of the Reds' 1990 World Series trophy are the most noteworthy. The collection also includes uniforms worn by Pete Rose and Eric Davis.

• Why the auction: It's the second of three for Schott's possessions. An auction of personal belongings — furniture and so forth — raised about $200,000 in December. The auction house will be happy if her baseball memorabilia brings $100,000. The art collection of Schott's late husband, Charles, is expected to bring in between $2 million and $4 million in June.

• What the foundation does: The Marge and Charles J. Schott Foundation was started in 1965. It has donated millions of dollars to religious, charitable, civic and educational causes. Beneficiaries include a girls' Roman Catholic high school in Cincinnati, the Boy Scouts, a school for the deaf, a national coalition for children and families, and many other organizations.

• Online: cowanauctions.com

true story:
when I was maybe 7 or 8, I went to a game to see Will Clark and the SF Giants play a game at Riverfront. I went in my full Giant's jersey and cap.

well, Marge Schott was down there signing autographs and she saw me, came over, and said "Honey, as long as you love the game, I don't care who you a rooting for," and signed my cap from Schotzee.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='#22' post='238374' date='Mar 25 2006, 04:06 PM']true story:
when I was maybe 7 or 8, I went to a game to see Will Clark and the SF Giants play a game at Riverfront. I went in my full Giant's jersey and cap.

well, Marge Schott was down there signing autographs and she saw me, came over, and said "Honey, as long as you love the game, I don't care who you a rooting for," and signed my cap from Schotzee.[/quote]

she was very nice, as long as u were white [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Archived