Slipping: Defensive Backs.

[url="http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=15975&pcid=46"]http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=...d=15975&pcid=46[/url]

[b]Darnell Bing, USC[/b] – Simply put: the most overrated prospect in this year’s draft class at any position. I noticed when I was watching USC games this year that Bing made a lot of bad plays but sometimes watching a game on TV, you don’t see everything going on. I watched tape on Bing with an open mind and what I found out is that I was wrong. He’s a lot worse than I originally thought he was. The fact that his name and “first round” are being mentioned in the same sentence is comical to me. I really don’t know where to start because Bing doesn’t do anything well in my opinion. He takes bad angles on receivers and ball carriers; he trails in coverage all the time and doesn’t have great instincts. I compare him to former Patriot Tebucky Jones. Jones was a former running back who was a great athlete but just never had the instincts to play safety. Bing – a former running back himself - is the same way. Watching him on the football field, his instincts are terrible and safety is a position where instincts are very important because a one second difference breaking on the ball could cost his team a big play.

The other thing about Bing is he’s not nearly as physical as most people think. Whenever he hits someone, he kind of bounces off them and if he ends up getting the player down, it’s usually by tripping them up. Bing never really follows through on his tackles and in the NFL that will allow players to break free and get extra yards. I saw two instances where he had a blind shot on an unsuspecting quarterback and he couldn’t even get them down to the ground. The referee had to blow the whistle to stop the play because Bing couldn’t get the quarterback down.

In coverage, forget about it. This guy is just flat out lost. The one thing he did do well is strip the ball from behind but that’s just because he’s always trailing the receiver. Bing may be a great athlete but you can’t teach instincts and a feel for the game and this kid just doesn’t have that. I know a lot of Patriots fans like him because he played at USC (Which had one of the nation’s worst pass defenses a year ago) but trust me, the only time you want to hear the name “Bing” in New England is when you’re watching reruns of “Friends.” You certainly don’t want to hear it called on draft day and since Bill Belichick knows a heck of a lot more about football than I do, I seriously doubt you will. I predict Bing will be nothing more than a backup safety and special teams contributor. Not exactly the kind of player teams want to spend the 21st pick in the draft on.

[b]Ashton Youboty, Ohio State[/b] – I have seen a lot of Ohio State football the past couple of years and when I heard Youboty was coming out early I thought he was crazy. I’m not sure if he knows this but Youboty was the weak link in the Buckeyes secondary the last two seasons. There was even some talk last spring that Ted Ginn Jr. may switch over to the defensive side of the ball and play some cornerback. Now people are talking about drafting Youboty in the first round? Maybe they haven’t seen the same films that I’ve seen on the Ohio State corner. If they have, teams would see a corner who never looks up at the ball, struggles badly with bigger, more physical receivers and has terrible hands. A lot of times when the ball is in the air, Youboty does what I can’t stand from a cornerback. He just raises his arms up with his back turned to the quarterback. Youboty doesn’t turn his head around and try to locate the ball; he just sticks his hands in the air. In the NFL, that’s a penalty every time.

I like virtually every player on the Ohio State defense but Youboty is the exception. He’s not even close to the top corners in this draft when it comes to quickness, awareness and instincts in my opinion. If Youboty is selected in the first round of the draft, I just think years from now people will look back and say, “Remember Ashton Youboty? I wonder what he’s doing now?”

I agree with you totally.

Bing is a 3rd round prospect IMO. He's also had durability issues, which puts me off even more. Even if healthy, this safety simply doesn't fit the Bengals' system. If he were better in coverage, then that would be a different story, but he's totally shit there. So as far as I'm concerned, Bing can go bong!!!

Archived