Bengals Tidbits

[quote name='bengalrick' post='247532' date='Apr 11 2006, 11:01 AM']where would pollack fit in in the 3-4? if we had arrington and simmons, are we going to move pollack to DE exclusively? wouldn't this defeat the purpose of using pollack as a decoy and making teams not sure if we are runninga 3-4 or 4-3... we won't be signing arrington imo, but if we did, it would be at the expense of simmons... then where does geathers go?

and HarDRhymR laugh all you want about jt, but i laugh everytime i read some of your guys' ignorant statements, acting like jt is the worst player to ever play this game... how can you say robinson is more effective? what proof? was it his "stellar" play last year that sold you on robinson? just wait and see... you laugh at me for sticking up for jt, while he is the only DT that has lasted since marvin has been here... that includes this list: langston moore, tony williams and oliver gibson, and if you include all d lineman, only smith and powell are still here from marvins first free agent signings... maybe marvin is trying to save face, and make it SEEM like jt is good, or maybe marvin is right that jt is a good DT who helps this team, and people have no clue what your talking about...

so yeah, keep laughing.. :lmao:[/quote]

I was laughing at the wonderful breakout season Thornton is going to have they we have been waiting for. Also, I never said JT was the worst player to ever play this game....or even on the team....or even the defense. Actually I said he is not worth holding a roster spot over a younger player.

Robinson, Adams, and Smith are known primarly as run stuffers. JT is supposed to be the quick DT that penetrates the Dline and is disruptive. I just can not say he has been effective enough in that role. Not last year not the year before. He was supposed to be the player that makes the others on the Dline better. Why are we every year trying to find a player that makes him better?

I do appreciate him signing with us Marvin's first year. He has lasted longer than any other DT but that list of names he has outlasted is less then impressive. Not 1 of those guys are elite players or even in their primes when we signed them.

Let's face it, some people said we overpaid for JT when we signed mainly because we had to and he was willing to come when most other was not. Does that mean he sucks? No, but at some point players like JT simply have to be replaced and I think now may be that time.

I don't know why you would even bother suggesting that when:

a) There's about 1,125,000 that we could save just by releasing Larry Moore and whatever QB doesn't stick.

B) He's better than Robinson, Smith and Askew

I suppose if all you care about is recouping money, then fine...He's one of the few million+ guys you could cut...But that is the only reason.

I think it's becoming obvious that they're not going to sign another QB now unless Martin drops to a bargain price, so that money is now in play.

= We definitely have enough for Arrington right now at our price without slashing a starter who hasn't missed a game in 3 years, and who ranks right up there for tackles from DT.

BZ

[quote name='HarDRhymR' post='247567' date='Apr 11 2006, 11:51 AM']I was laughing at the wonderful breakout season Thornton is going to have they we have been waiting for. Also, I never said JT was the worst player to ever play this game....or even on the team....or even the defense. Actually I said he is not worth holding a roster spot over a younger player.[/quote]

And the irony would be that he's had 3 good seasons in a row...Unless you get your game reports from BAB and BJ.

BZ

We need sacks and to be stronger at the point of attack. JT provides neither. He is OK, but we can get his production elsewhere.

Our D improved because of better talent around JT, not JT himself.

He has had OK season's but until he starts dropping the QB or commanding a double team and still pushing the LOS he is replacable.

[quote name='TheBZ' post='247588' date='Apr 11 2006, 12:20 PM'](Shrugs)

I'm afraid I just don't agree.

Now we have to let Marvin decide.

BZ[/quote]

No doubt. I don't want to be missunderstood, I like JT......just not as a Bengal. :lmao: Seriously he is not bad just not the difference maker I would like. I suspect you are right and JT will remain a Bengal regardless of who we add. Hopefully I am completely wrong and he will breakout this year.

Archived