The Reds are stocking up on injured pitchers

CTA513

:thumbsdown:

[quote]Newest Reds pitcher hurt already?
By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

ST. LOUIS | It was after Wednesday night's game and the newest occupant of the Cincinnati Reds' bullpen, [b]Scott Schoeneweis, walked to his locker wearing an ice bag on his left knee big enough to sink the Bismarck to the bottom of the sea.

And he didn't even pitch.[/b]

Some eyebrows raised around the clubhouse after all the problems with injuries to bullpen guys brought in from other teams — Gary Majewski (shoulder), Eddie Guardado (forearm), Rheal Cormier (gluteus maximus).

Schoeneweis says it is nothing.

[b]"A freakish thing," he said. "Did it about 10 days ago running in the outfield in Toronto. I lost my footing and slipped. I blew some stuff out in the back of my knee, but it is a non-issue as to whether I can pitch."[/b]

Meanwhile, manager Jerry Narron has to check daily on the availability of his closer (Guardado) and his left-handed set-up guy (Cormier).

"Guardado went six straight days without pitching, then pitched a game and wasn't available the next day," said Narron. "I was hoping if we could get him a lot of work it might help, but we haven't been able do that. We've gone both ways with it and neither has worked. Is it a concern? Yes. Yes, it is a concern."[/quote]

Archived