Reds file grievance with Nationals

Guest schotzee

Guest schotzee
Reds GM: Team got damaged goods from Nats
The Reds think they got damaged goods when they acquired reliever Gary Majewski from the Nationals last season. And now they are prepared to take their case to Major League Baseball.

"We don't feel like we were dealt with fairly, and you can go to the bank that we're not going to take it sitting down," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said at the team's Redsfest on Saturday, according to the Cincinnati Post.

Cincinnati was unaware that Majewski had a sore shoulder when the team acquired him in a trade with Washington.

The Reds didn't know that the right-hander had a cortisone injection in his shoulder before the All-Star break. Majewski told Cincinnati that his shoulder has bothered him since spring training.

A medical test found no serious injury, but the reliever was placed on the 15-day disabled list soon after the trade before being activated in September.

"We've been doing our due diligence for a long time," Krivsky told The Post. "It's in the hands of our lawyers. When they feel comfortable that they've done everything possible and put it on paper so that it can be submitted all at one time, it will be submitted and then it'll be in the hands of the commissioner's office."

Majewski and reliever Bill Bray were the keys in an eight-player deal on July 13 that sent outfielder Austin Kearns and shortstop Felipe Lopez to Washington.

After the trade, Krivsky left a telephone message for Nationals general manager Jim Bowden.

"I did call him, and I have not heard back," Krivsky said. "I just wanted to have a conversation."

Bowden said he was surprised by the controversy in Cincinnati over the condition of Majewski's shoulder.

"I don't think they feel that way," Bowden said before a game against Florida last season. "If they did, I know one thing: Wayne Krivsky would call me directly.

"And our organization is always forthright honest in any transaction we make. We supply every documentation that's ever asked on every single player. I think that's just a media report. I don't think there's any truth to it, and the Reds have certainly not called us and they certainly would call us if there was an issue."

Bowden later issued a statement saying he was "disappointed" by Krivsky's statement that he had tried to reach him about the trade.

"I never received either a call or a message from Wayne, but when I read his comments this evening, I called him and reminded him that the Cincinnati Reds had received all of the medical information they requested, both before and after the trade," Bowden's statement said. "It is also worth remembering that Gary pitched for us right up to the trade and has continued doing so for the Reds up until now."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2684794"]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2684794[/url]

Now which one's telling the truth [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img] ?

Archived