Narron needs a team leader to speak up

[quote][size=3][b]Narron needs a team leader to speak up[/b][/size]
By Paul Daugherty

Jerry Narron, who is old-school, doesn't want to mess with this subject anymore. Just play hard, OK? Just dignify the game. That's all.

"I think (media) have made a bigger deal of it than it is," the Reds manager said Thursday. "People want to see an effort. One play a night can cost you a ballgame."

Narron is walking the ledge with nine toes in midair. He has painted himself into the tiniest of corners, and his only way out is for everyone to do it his way. By applying a single standard to hustle, the Reds manager has made the boldest move of his career. Who's with him?

After yanking Edwin Encarnacion from a game in Arizona, then explaining in precise detail why, Narron took it a gutsy step further: Anyone not hustling would receive a similar, publicly embarrassing fate. Anyone.

In case we missed the all-inclusive part of the edict, Narron reiterated it before Wednesday's game. When presented by Marty Brennaman a possible scenario - Ken Griffey Jr. jogs out a grounder to shortstop, which the shortstop boots but recovers in time to throw out the jogging Junior - would Narron pull an Encarnacion?

"(Griffey) won't be playing for a little bit after that," Narron said.

There it is. Gauntlet thrown. The manager called out the superstar.

On a hypothetical.

Is this fair? Pitchers don't sprint to first base on grounders to shortstop. Griffey's legs are strung tighter than a mandolin. He's 37. He has earned the occasional jog. Do we want him donating a hamstring to the cause of hustle?

Well, yeah. Evidently.

Here's what could happen. Here's what could alter a lot of perceptions. Forget the fans, who have had a skeptical streak when it comes to Junior for five years, at least. Here's what would have an entire clubhouse of players standing up and taking notice:

Ken Griffey Jr. defusing this whole thing by going public with a show of support.

"We all have Jerry's back. We understand we have a chance to win this lame NL Central if we play hard and smart every day. I, for one, intend to practice what I preach. You will not see me watch a would-be home run or jog to any base."

OK, so maybe Junior wouldn't call the Central "lame."

But you get the point.

The future Hall of Famer, All-Century superstar, tucking in his ego and backing his boss. Would that have an impact on how you view the Reds' most powerful player? Junior Griffey, busting it on every play. Wouldn't that mean a lot, to you and his teammates?

(I wanted to run this notion past Griffey, but he was sleeping on a couch in the clubhouse, for the hour I was there. He has been ill a few days.)

The leadership quotient in the clubhouse would go from next to zero to off the charts. So, too, might Griffey's image and popularity.

A manager cannot do it alone when it comes to tone-setting. He needs lieutenants. A reason the Reds were so successful in 1999 was Jack McKeon had Greg Vaughn to do his bidding in the clubhouse. Players might have snickered at geriatric Jack. They didn't mess with Vaughn.

Could Griffey be Vaughn? Nope. Not his personality. But he could go public in support of his manager and set a team-leader example, every day. Is this overly wishful? Probably. But it'd be a win-win for everybody. No one wants to see anyone embarrassed, player or manager.

Other players might go public with their support. Scott Hatteberg, a very respected veteran, for one. Jeff Conine, even if it is his first year here. Juan Castro, the pro's pro. Ryan Freel. Freel doesn't know how to jog to first. Freel doesn't walk in his sleep. He runs 40s.

It would have the greatest impact coming from Griffey.

It's possible Jerry Narron has been assured privately by his bosses that he'd win any power struggle with his team's most powerful player. Narron already moved the 10-time Gold Glove center fielder to right field and took him from his customary No. 3 spot in the batting order.

It's possible, too, that the manager senses his job is on the line this year and has determined to go down - or stand up - swinging.

Good for him. Message delivered. Now: Who has his back?[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070420/COL03/704200348/1082/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

Archived