Firefox Erased (Or moved) My Bookmarks

[quote name='Actium' post='506980' date='Jul 2 2007, 11:53 PM']Firefox occassionally does this...before I go through and re-mark them I'd thought I'd see if any of our technical wizards know how to restore them with little to no effort. Thanks in any event.[/quote]

First thing i can think of is do a search for bookmarks.html. I have never had that problem, you must be lucky

Thanks guys, I tried it (I think) but I think I waited too long. It says on the Mozilla homepage you have to act fast or it saves over the file with new info--that is to say, you lose the bookmarks. Oh well. It was time for a good housecleaning anyway.

[quote name='Actium' post='507062' date='Jul 3 2007, 09:52 AM']Thanks guys, I tried it (I think) but I think I waited too long. It says on the Mozilla homepage you have to act fast or it saves over the file with new info--that is to say, you lose the bookmarks. Oh well. It was time for a good housecleaning anyway.[/quote]
Not exactly true.

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[some weird name] and you will find a folder called "bookmark backups". There it keeps several backup files from the last few days available They are .html files if you are using Firefox 2.x, which you should be. You can open each one to find one that has your missing bookmarks.

2. Copy the one you need to the folder right above the folder you're in. There is a file in that folder called "bookmarks.html". Delete or rename that file and rename the file you just copied to "bookmarks.html".

3. Reopen Firefox and your bookmarks should be restored!

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='507102' date='Jul 3 2007, 11:32 AM']Not exactly true.

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[some weird name] and you will find a folder called "bookmark backups". There it keeps several backup files from the last few days available They are .html files if you are using Firefox 2.x, which you should be. You can open each one to find one that has your missing bookmarks.

2. Copy the one you need to the folder right above the folder you're in. There is a file in that folder called "bookmarks.html". Delete or rename that file and rename the file you just copied to "bookmarks.html".

3. Reopen Firefox and your bookmarks should be restored![/quote]

Cool, I'll try it when I get home. Hope it works

Archived