Is Smokey... i mean rickey coming back or not?

Guest bengalrick

Guest bengalrick

Miami herald article

his agent seems to think he'll be back this year

Attorney: RB likely to play

BY JASON COLE

jcole@herald.com

The attorney for running back Ricky Williams said Monday he believes Williams will be cleared to return to the NFL ''as soon as possible,'' clearing the way for talks with the Dolphins.

David Cornwell, a California-based attorney who represents Williams and spent five years working for the NFL, said he e-mailed a request Sunday to meet with the league this week to make the formal request that Williams be reinstated.

Furthermore, Cornwell said he believes Williams can play this season despite three failed drug tests and a fourth violation for having retired in August while in the league's substance-abuse program.

''I don't think he's subject to suspension based on the information I plan to present to the league,'' Cornwell said. ``I don't want to present the case for him to be reinstated through the media, but I believe he can return without suffering suspension.''

A league source said last week Williams faces a four-game suspension and then a suspension of at least one year based on the drug tests and the retirement.

Because of that, the source also believes it's in Williams' best interest to wait to make a return to the league in July rather than try to return now. By waiting a year, Williams would be able to make a ''clean'' return without facing the one-year suspension.

But Williams returned to the United States recently after traveling in Australia and Asia and said he had regained his ''passion'' to play.

He said last week he wants to get his status clarified as soon as possible.

Williams also must repay or negotiate a deal with the Dolphins regarding $8.6 million an arbitrator ruled he owes the team under provisions in his contract.

Cornwell said Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, will deal with the $8.6 million. But Cornwell, who said Williams never truly retired, didn't dispute that it might be difficult for Williams to return to a team he owes money to.

''To be sure, we're going to have to address that issue, but now is not the time for that,'' Cornwell said.

If he comes back and plays one more year then he doesn't have to re-pay the $8.6/million bonus money.

So I am thinking that more than likely he will come back.

He will probably have to sit out 2 to 4 games next year.

I can't seem him going back to the Dolphins, because he doesn't seem man enough to face his problems head on, so why start now instead of just walking away again?

And since he had his best years under Norv Turner, and I don't think another team would take a chance on him, I can see the Dolphins making a trade with the Raiders to acquire his rights.

The Raiders need a feature back, they have a history of taking troubled players, so it looks like Ricky will be putting on the wedding gown again.

Somke 'em if ya got 'em. :huh:

Archived