Bengaldave985 Offseason and Draft

2009 Cincinnati Bengals Off Season and Draft
1st Edition

It is probably way too early to start this but with Senior Bowl practices over I thought it was as good a time as ever. Predicting what they will do in free agency is going to be very difficult due to all the injuries and all the players who were signed during the season. I am not going to worry about the total roster number, I might be over, might be under, that’s not the important thing. This will probably change often and I plan on doing around 3-4 updates before the draft.

[u]Unrestricted Players Re-signed[/u]
Stacy Andrews
Cedric Benson
Daryl Blackstock
Chris Crocker
T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Franchise Tag)

[u]Restricted Players Re-signed[/u]
John Busing
Glen Holt
Rashad Jeanty
Brandon Johnson
Corey Mays

[u]Unsigned Player (Bengals have exclusive rights) [/u]
Dan Coats – resigned
Orien Harris – resigned

[u]Notable Players Not Re-signed / Released[/u]
Shane Graham
Chris Perry
Kenny Watson
Kyle Larson
Dexter Jackson
Ryan Fitzpatrick
John Thornton
Eric Ghiaciuc

[u]Outside Free Agents Signed[/u]
QB – Luke McCown, Tampa Bay - Would provide a solid backup with a live arm who also has a very similar ability to run as Fitz.

RB – J.J. Arrington, Arizona – Would be the 3rd down back and a very solid receiving threat out of the backfield (11 games/29 rec.) Also avg. 26 yds. per kick return with one for a touchdown, would pair nicely with Caldwell

WR – Devery Henderson, New Orleans – I feel Chad isn’t going anywhere and T.J. will be tagged. Henry, Caldwell, and Simpson are roster locks. I feel Henderson would be a great addition to battle Holt for the final spot. He brings more speed than Glen does and would give us another threat to stretch the field.

C- Richie Incognito, St. Louis – Veteran center who I don’t feel will be resigned by the Rams, could be a good addition to hold the line down until possible draft pick is ready, has the ability to slid over to guard and could replace Bobbie Williams in a few years.

You will notice that I have no defensive additions and in all honesty they will probably sign a defensive player or two. When looking at the free agents no one jumped out at me as a must sign or someone who their current team wont try to re-sign. There are guys I would love to have (Scott, Suggs, Crowder) but it would be a surprise to me if we spent big money on a defensive upgrade. We all know Marvin is a fan of keeping their own and I think they see good things ahead for the defense with all the injured players coming back, the re-signing of current players, and the draft.

[u]2009 Cincinnati Bengals Draft Class[/u]
This is almost pointless to do because of how many variables will still play out but then where would the fun be in waiting. I use two sites, nfldraftscout and nfldraftcountdown for scouting reports and possible draft position plus my own opinion. I try to slot all players within 1 round of where they might go so as not to say we get a guy in the 6th who really is a 3rd round pick. I have seen all or almost all of these players, some in person, and some very often. There is a heavy offensive line theme to my first mock. To me it is our most glaring weakness and we need a total infusion of new and better talent along with better depth. As of now I have us with a 4th round compensatory pick. Everyone has their own opinion on where guys will go and the truth is we dont really have any idea. Especially at this point its all an educated guess.

1. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama – 6’4”, 330 lbs.
I feel Eugene Monroe has currently passed Smith as the #1 OT but Smith would an outstanding get. I also think its Aaron Curry if he is there but I really doubt he will be. Smith is by far the best run blocker in this draft and could play left or right tackle and might actually be a better option on the right side of the line. Is very light on his feet for his size and athletic enough to handle quality pass rushers. Has played his whole career against top competition and helped Alabama to the SEC rushing title this year. Could stand to lose a few pounds and just get in better overall conditioning which would in turn improve his pass blocking skills which are already solid. I think any character/maturity concerns are overblown and I don’t see him being a problem in that area. Would be a great way to start off the draft and has the chance to be a very special player for a very long time.

2. Clay Matthews Jr., OLB, USC – 6’3”, 240 lbs., 4.75
Active with a non-stop motor…great strength…excellent pass rusher and blitzer…super intense and very tough…extremely versatile…good range and flies around the field…does a fantastic job in pursuit…has a knack for making impact plays…smart with great football IQ…has an incomparable work ethic…still has upside…tweener who may not have a true position…average size and speed…can be too aggressive at times…stiff and lacks fluid hips…will struggle to match up in coverage…minor durability concerns…started career as a walk-on…USC special teams player of the year 3 times…could play inside or outside and can fit in either the 3-4 or 4-3…maybe improved his draft stock as any player.

His teammate Brian Cushing would be my ideal choice here but he is in the first round now after his outstanding performance at the Sr. Bowl. Matthews is an intriguing player b/c not much is known about him but he has a ton of upside. Love the fact he can get after the passer which is something we desperately need. Also love his intensity and work ethic which at this point is something you can’t teach. We are getting better on defense but we still need more playmakers and I think Matthews brings that to the table and can make an instant impact on D and for sure on ST’s.

3. Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama – 6’3”, 307 lbs.
Quick and athletic…very smart with excellent awareness…mobile with good range…nice balance and agility…great feet…uses his hands well…understands leverage and angles…good motor…offers some versatility…very durable…team leader…tons of experience…just average size and bulk…needs to hit the weights…not overly powerful…wont get a great push…4 year starter and has started games at all three line positions…first Alabama football player to earn degree in under 3 years…two time team captain and recipient of teams Mal Moore Leadership Award.

I originally had Eric Wood here b/c I was concerned with Caldwell’s size but his weigh in at the Sr. Bowl help changed that. I think we are all tired of a 290 something pound center. I also feel the center should be the leader of the line and I just felt that is something that has been lacking since Richie left, Antoine is that type of leader. He is incredibly active and very smart and has been an outstanding player since day one for the tide. Has the ability to get to the second level thanks to his quickness. With him and Andre there is the possibility to see a marked improvement in our line very quickly.

4. Arian Foster, RB, Tennessee – 6’1”, 215 lbs., 4.55
Very good size and bulk…displays excellent patience…nice vision and instincts…great balance…hits the hole hard and has a burst…nimble feet…good strength and relatively powerful…has soft, reliable hands…adequate blocker…was super productive…lacks great speed…is not very quick or elusive…runs too tall…will have trouble turning the corner in the pros…not much of a big play threat…finished career second on Vols all-time rushing list…83 career receptions…4.6 yd per career avg.

I am a 05’ UT grad and have seen Foster play many times and I really like what he does. I already know the first two things that are going to said….He sucked his senior year and he isn’t fast enough. First, I would throw out his Sr. stats and just pretend they didn’t exist. The entire UT offense was a mess this year with first year OC Dave Clawson (who is not back) The o-line was supposed to be a strength and turned into a disaster and the QB play was terrible all season. His Jr. numbers of 1,193 yds. for a 4.9 avg. and 12 touchdowns is a much better representation. As for the second point, yes, he probably isn’t going to break any 80 yd runs but I feel that elite break away speed might be the most overrated quality in the NFL. He will break plenty of 20-40 yd runs b/c I have seen him do it countless times. I have no problem 7 and 8 yarding people to death and then busting a 35 yarder. He runs very hard and has a solid burst when he gets through the line. His best qualities are his vision and patience which I feel allows him gain the extra yards needed. I will admit I have even been watching and said “god, he is so slow” but then he gets around the corner and is down the sideline. I think with him, Benson, J.J. and James Johnson we have a good mix of power, speed, pass catching ability and overall versatility.

4. Tim Jamison, DE, Michigan – 6’3”, 266 lbs., 4.85

5. Brandon Underwood, CB, Cincinnati – 6’1”, 190., 4.45
I have seen everyone of UC’s games this year including WVU, Pitt, and the Orange Bowl in person. Has great size…fantastic speed…good closing speed…supports the run well…not afraid to mix it up…great ball skills…versatile, played safety at UC but projects as an NFL CB…can return punts…candidate for gunner on special teams…had 4 tackles in the East West Shrine game…still a bit raw but the ability is there.

In my opinion Underwood is a better pro prospect than both Mike Mickens and DeAngelo Smith he just doesn’t have the experience they do. He has a great size/speed ratio along with fantastic instincts and ball skills. Had 66 tackles and 4 int. this year. Could step in right away as the 4th CB and could challenge David Jones for the nickel spot at some point this year. Instant impact on ST’s and could return punts in a pinch.

6. Antonio Appleby, ILB, Virginia – 6’4”, 250 lbs., 4.75

7. Matt Slauson, OG, Nebraska – 6’5”, 320 lbs.

This class would add quality and depth to our offensive line along with bringing more playmakers to the defense who have the ability to put pressure on the quarterback which I feel are our two biggest weaknesses right now. There are also some valuable backups who have the ability to step in and contribute if needed.

I guess I should have given us a kicker and punter but I am pretty indiferent on who they bring in. I dont want to give Shane a bunch of money since I feel he is about the most un-clutch kicker around and I am pretty sure just about anyone can do as good or better than what Larson gave us in 08'

More praise for Matthews, this from scout.com

Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga and Clay Matthews are great fun to watch, but pay attention to Matthews on Saturday night.
The linebacker trio out of USC will show you why the Trojans were so dominant on defense this year as you watch them perform during the Senior Bowl game. Cushing is arguably the most athletic linebacker of the three, displaying a nice blend of speed and aggressiveness. Physically, Maualuga's upper body is thick rather than muscular, but his instincts, intensity and field intelligence are what makes him special at the middle linebacker position.

But keep your eye on Matthews during the Senior Bowl game. At 6-foot-3, 246 pounds, he still has plenty of upside, and he has the added appeal of being able to make an immediate impact on special teams at the pro level. A punishing tackler who also blocked three kicks during his career, Matthews has been the Trojans' Co-Special Teams Player of the Year three times.

His rise has been nothing short of spectacular, and I'm convinced it hasn't reached its peak yet. USC head coach Pete Carroll once affectionately referred to the formerly undersized walk-on player as "a skinny kid who wanted to play football." But Matthews set up shop in the weight room, exhibiting a work ethic that was admired by his coaches and teammates.

While Matthews doesn't get the accolades that Cushing and Maualuga have earned during their college careers, over time, he could end up having the best pro career of the three. He has the versatility and experience to be a speed-rusher at defensive end for a team that prefers quickness over size at defensive end. But he also is an accomplished linebacker who can make a tackle in open space and is a playmaker who can shift the momentum of a game.

With just one full season under his belt as a starter, Matthews has the potential to make huge leaps in his development with the right coaching at the next level. His star is rising in Mobile, creating some specu

Archived