If you support the troops, please read this...

Guest bengalrick

Guest bengalrick
i have no clue which thread this would go... it is politics i guess, but oh well... you guys can move it if you like...

i was listening to glenn beck (highly recommend his show... hillarious) and this guy came on who was a former soldier in the navy... we always talk about "i support the troops" "i support the mission" etc... we also bitch about the military and army not having the best equipment that they can have... that is a discussion for another day (and i'm sure it will be hit on), but there is something that you and i can do that WILL make a difference...

[url="http://www.operation-helmet.org/"]operationhelmet.org[/url]

this is a website that this ex navy guy set up, that allows people like you and me to buy them these much, much better helmets..

i obviously haven't been there, and have to go off of what others say and what i see... the helmets that the average soldier has, is loose fitting, uncomfortable, etc... though most soldiers don't get killed by bullets (mostly by bombs) the helmets are still extremely important... but if a soldier is running, he always has one hand on his helmet, and the other on his weapon... a medic has to take his off, b/c it will fall down over his eyes...

heres some of the quotes, b/c they explain it much better:

[i]Troops and their loved ones should not feel they aren't protected with the standard issue helmet. Our forces are issued head armor (kevlar helmets) that offers "pretty good" protection from bullets and small frags. That was the main danger in previous combat engagements. The helmets still offer that protection, but new elements have entered the picture, that of IED's (roadside bombs) and other explosives with which these helmets were not designed to defend against. [/i]

[i]Aug 7, 2005: Bombs Kill More Troops Than Bullets (click here for story one and here for story two). News release verifies need: Over 65% of combat-related morbidity/mortality is due to bomb blasts. It is more important than ever to provide our troops with the best protection available.[/i]

here is a pic of the upgraded helmets:

[img]http://www.oregonaero.com/images/BLSSMilitaryinstalled.gif[/img]

[i] The patented BLSSâ„¢ Kit is stable, pain-free, safer, waterproof, self-wicking, positively buoyant, air permeable, reduces sound reverberation and is installed without any helmet shell modifications. The Kit includes a four-point chin strap/harness (available in green, desert tan or black) with an integrated nape pad and seven highly engineered pads that replace the PASGT helmet liner.[/i]

whether you support the mission or not, you should support the troops... lets piss on the gov't that doesn't give these guys the helmets in the first place, and make sure these guys have the best equipment...

here are some stories from soldiers: [url="http://www.operation-helmet.org/usn.html"]click here[/url]

i haven't heard of a better way to support these guys... any little bit will help...

[b]100% of donations go towards the helmets, and if you have a loved one in the military, i believe you can request the helmet to go to them...[/b] if you buy through this website, it is less money b/c of the deal the website has set up, w/ the producers...

Archived