Bengals left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. evaluates his 2023 season

Charlie Goldsmith, Cincinnati Enquirer
Thu, Dec 14, 2023, 12:20 PM CST·4 min read

Before the start of the season, Cincinnati Bengals left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. reflected on the challenge he signed up for. In the offseason, the Bengals gave Brown the biggest contract that they’ve ever handed out to a player from another team. They felt like they needed to make an aggressive move to upgrade their offensive line, and Brown was tabbed as the missing piece.

“It’s definitely pressure,” Brown said. “But, man, if someone gave you $30 million guaranteed, that’s what comes with it. You’re the savior, quote-unquote. But I’d much rather be on this side of it.”

Fifteen weeks later, the four-time Pro Bowler is in the middle of a solid season with the Bengals. Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said that he’s reminded of Brown’s impact on a daily basis as he prepares the game plan for the offense, and the Bengals offensive line has been a strength of the team over the last month.

But Brown, who embraces his role as a franchise left tackle and openly discusses his goal of making it to the NFL Hall of Fame, isn’t satisfied with how he has played in 2023.

“I mean, there’s still a lot of football left,” Brown said. “I can’t give you a final assessment. It’s been ok. There have been some good things and obviously some bad things. That’s football. There are a lot of ups and downs.”

Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Orlando Brown Jr. said there's another level for him to reach down the stretch this season.

Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Orlando Brown Jr. said there's another level for him to reach down the stretch this season.

Over the course of the season, the Bengals have learned more about how Brown fits in their system. In the run game, they’ve started using him more as a pulling blocker, and he has delivered some massive hits to open up big rushing lanes.

Brown’s run blocking has been his biggest strength, and he has also been a sound pass protector. Jaguars edge rusher Josh Allen has 13.5 sacks this season, and Brown fared well in that matchup in Week 13. One week later, against a Colts defense that ranks third in the NFL in sacks this season, Brown played one of his best games of the season.

Orlando brings a lot of energy, and he’s obviously a mountain of a man,” Bengals center Ted Karras said. “He brings a winning pedigree as a guy who knows how to go the distance, which is our ultimate goal. He plays under control. His size and strength, this is the NFL. You don’t always need to be the biggest guy, but it doesn’t hurt to be the biggest guy in the NFL. That’s a plus for the stripes.”

Bengals offensive tackle Orlando Brown Jr.'s best moments this year have come on incredible plays in the run game.

Bengals offensive tackle Orlando Brown Jr.'s best moments this year have come on incredible plays in the run game.

Brown’s production dipped during the middle of the season as he battled a groin injury. He left the Bengals’ Week 6 game against the Seattle Seahawks with a groin injury, and he was listed on the injury report through Week 9.

“Over time, I’m getting a better understanding of the system,” Brown said. “I was dealing with an injury earlier in the season. Little things like that. I’ve been able to be a lot more aggressive recently. The injury doesn’t need to be spoken about. I’ve come in every day with the same mindset. I’m continuing to grind and take my game to the next level. I’m doing the best I can to lead by example.”

The Bengals' offensive line has been a strength over the last month, and offensive tackle Orlando Brown Jr. has been a big part of it.

The Bengals' offensive line has been a strength over the last month, and offensive tackle Orlando Brown Jr. has been a big part of it.

Brown said that he takes pride in the tough, physical blocks that he has provided in the run game. The Bengals have found a standout run play where Brown blocks a defensive tackle or a linebacker in the middle of the pocket, sealing off a backside angle for the running back.

On those plays, Brown’s rare size and strength are on display. But it takes more than that for those runs to work.

“Those are mindset plays,” Brown said. “Having a mindset that you’ll go out there and lay a hit on somebody. You’ve got to swing first. That’s part of my mindset to be a part of setting the tone.”

Brown has made the Pro Bowl every year since his rookie season. This year, he isn’t in the top-10 of the voting at offensive tackle.

Even if his streak of Pro Bowl appearances is snapped, Brown views the final four weeks of the regular season as an opportunity to tweak the narrative of his 2023 season.

“Here in December in the final quarter of the season, I have a chance to take it to the next level,” Brown said. “I’m getting healthier. I understand the system better. I’m focused on playing my (tail) off. It’s about continuing to grow in every way, with my play and as a leader.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/bengals-left-tackle-orlando-brown-182048116.html