Rudi On the Web

Rudi On The Web

By Rudi Johnson
Special to the Enquirer

RUDI ON THE WEB
Rudi On The Web will appear every Wednesday morning at Cincinnati.com.

To donate to the Rudi Johnson Foundation or for more information on his charitable work, go to www.Rudij32.com.

-- As told to Mark Curnutte. Have a question you’d like Rudi Johnson to answer? Please e-mail Rudi in care of Mark at mcurnutte@enquirer.com.

There are a lot of guys who I’ve played with who make me laugh.

Do you remember running back Michael Basnight? Just funny. Always cracking up and joking. He was about the funniest out of all of them.

Justin Smith is kind of funny, too. He just makes funny comments. He doesn’t do impersonations of people.

T. Williams, Tony Williams, our old defensive tackle, he could always re-enact something, a situation that happened, to a T. He would run with it. He would bring something back up that happened a month ago, and everybody would know exactly what he was talking about and would be cracking up. He even did it on the field, while we were warming up.

It’s very important to have guys around who are funny. It keeps people loose. Not too loose, but at the same time, when you’re on the field and it’s hot outside, you know what I mean, you don’t want to distract yourself and lose focus, but you want to have a laugh. Just take some of the pressure off.

Like in training camp, when it’s so hot and you’re working so hard for so long, it’s good to have people like Chad Johnson around. He brings energy to the table. When a bunch of guys are out of energy, he brings the energy and can fill other guys up with energy. You never know how much that can help during practice.

When people crack up, it helps me. It’s funny. As long as everybody’s getting their work done, there is a time and place for everything. I think we know when to do it and when not to do it. And the coaches will say, “Cut it out right now.” People know when to do it, like when we’re stretching.

Everybody needs a laugh. We’re all out there going through it at the same time.

There are all kinds of jokes. There are guys who have pranks.

Reggie Myles, one of our defensive backs, he gets people real good now. He’s never gotten me.

His best one was when he threw a wet towel on somebody when they were in the bathroom, right over the top of the stall. That was a good one.

He’ll take stuff from people’s lockers. We know who to go to if there is a prank coming up.

We are like a family. Everybody is part of the family. We are together a lot. Guys are together a lot, even in the offseason. We interact with everybody personally and professionally. It’s a good relationship to have.

I’m not a one to start a practical joke. But I’ll get you back. In more than four years here, nobody’s ever gotten me, so I’ve never had to get anybody back.

But I’ll never forget Tony Williams. He could do everybody well. He never did me before.

He got Tim Krumrie all the time, of course. That was his position coach on the defensive line. Tony would do the voice, the way he moved, the walk and talk, everything. He could do anybody.

Around the league, the funniest guy is Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. He has a great sense of humor. Funny guy, very funny in everything he does. That’s one of the reasons he is so good. He’s not uptight. He can laugh about the whole Terrell Owens situation.

I met Donovan for the first time in Hawaii at the Pro Bowl. I spent some time with him in Los Angeles in July at the ESPY Awards. I see him every time we play the Eagles. He is the funniest guy I know of in the whole league.

[quote name='JungleCat' date='Sep 14 2005, 06:24 AM']Rudi On The Web

By Rudi Johnson
Special to the Enquirer

RUDI ON THE WEB
Rudi On The Web will appear every Wednesday morning at Cincinnati.com.

To donate to the Rudi Johnson Foundation or for more information on his charitable work, go to www.Rudij32.com.

-- As told to Mark Curnutte. Have a question you’d like Rudi Johnson to answer? Please e-mail Rudi in care of Mark at mcurnutte@enquirer.com.

There are a lot of guys who I’ve played with who make me laugh.

Do you remember running back Michael Basnight? Just funny. Always cracking up and joking. He was about the funniest out of all of them.

Justin Smith is kind of funny, too. He just makes funny comments. He doesn’t do impersonations of people.

T. Williams, Tony Williams, our old defensive tackle, he could always re-enact something, a situation that happened, to a T. He would run with it. He would bring something back up that happened a month ago, and everybody would know exactly what he was talking about and would be cracking up. He even did it on the field, while we were warming up.

It’s very important to have guys around who are funny. It keeps people loose. Not too loose, but at the same time, when you’re on the field and it’s hot outside, you know what I mean, you don’t want to distract yourself and lose focus, but you want to have a laugh. Just take some of the pressure off.

Like in training camp, when it’s so hot and you’re working so hard for so long, it’s good to have people like Chad Johnson around. He brings energy to the table. When a bunch of guys are out of energy, he brings the energy and can fill other guys up with energy. You never know how much that can help during practice.

When people crack up, it helps me. It’s funny. As long as everybody’s getting their work done, there is a time and place for everything. I think we know when to do it and when not to do it. And the coaches will say, “Cut it out right now.” People know when to do it, like when we’re stretching.

Everybody needs a laugh. We’re all out there going through it at the same time.

There are all kinds of jokes. There are guys who have pranks.

Reggie Myles, one of our defensive backs, he gets people real good now. He’s never gotten me.

His best one was when he threw a wet towel on somebody when they were in the bathroom, right over the top of the stall. That was a good one.

He’ll take stuff from people’s lockers. We know who to go to if there is a prank coming up.

We are like a family. Everybody is part of the family. We are together a lot. Guys are together a lot, even in the offseason. We interact with everybody personally and professionally. It’s a good relationship to have.

I’m not a one to start a practical joke. But I’ll get you back. In more than four years here, nobody’s ever gotten me, so I’ve never had to get anybody back.

But I’ll never forget Tony Williams. He could do everybody well. He never did me before.

He got Tim Krumrie all the time, of course. That was his position coach on the defensive line. Tony would do the voice, the way he moved, the walk and talk, everything. He could do anybody.

Around the league, the funniest guy is Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. He has a great sense of humor. Funny guy, very funny in everything he does. That’s one of the reasons he is so good. He’s not uptight. He can laugh about the whole Terrell Owens situation.

I met Donovan for the first time in Hawaii at the Pro Bowl. I spent some time with him in Los Angeles in July at the ESPY Awards. I see him every time we play the Eagles. He is the funniest guy I know of in the whole league.
[right][post="148624"][/post][/right][/quote]

Rudi

:headbang:

Archived