6 Under the Radar FA's for 07

QB-Anthony Wight-knows the system will come cheap and can win games in a pinch.
TE-Donald Lee-Solid all around TE, not spectacular in anything. 63 catches over his 62 game career. Cheap.
LT-Jason Fabini-With the signing of Stepanovich to help add depth to the interior I would say the only thing this Oline lacks is a vet backup at LT. Someone who has played the position and can do so again in a pinch. Fabini can come cheap and be the 2007 version of Richmond Webb. Whitworth may be the top back up at LT but I would feel much better with Fabini there as well. Also another veteran for the locker room and a UC grad.
SLB-Brandon Short-We need depth at SLB and taking a flyer on a tweener just does not make sense. Brandon Short has recently started, could maybe start over Jenty and would at the very least be a very solid backup at SLB and maybe MLB.
LB-Nick Speegle-Browns draft pick two years ago who did not translate into the 3-4. He was a well thought of prospect because of his athletic ability. Why not give him a chance in our 4-3.
SS-Robert Griffith- Ancient SS who can chip in in situations on the field but whose greater role would be in the locker room and as the D leader helping to give us an Identity.

No big names, maybe no starters. But wouldnt you feel better going into the draft with these 6 names? And what would it cost us?

Not too sure why the Bengals are looking at TE Donald Lee. The Packers just re-signed him to a 1 year contract only 3 weeks ago.

Donald Lee-TE- Packers Feb. 20 - 9:42 am et

Packers re-signed TE Donald Lee to a one-year contract.
The deal is for the veterans' minimum of $595,000 plus a small signing bonus. Lee, a career backup, had ten catches for 150 yards last year after catching 33 balls in 2005. He shouldn't reach fantasy relevance in 2007.

[url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1278"]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=1278[/url]

I wouldn't mind seeing A-Wright back as the 2nd QB, and Short (who has had some injury issues of late) is a pretty good LB. I don't see him starting over Jeanty, but he could provide some good depth.

I'd pass on the others - Fabini, to me, is done. Speegle looked like he might have something, but he's struggled to stay on an NFL roster, and Griffith -- I think it's time for him to move on to the next phase of his life, as he just doesn't have it any more.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='459066' date='Mar 20 2007, 04:24 AM']Not too sure why the Bengals are looking at TE Donald Lee. The Packers just re-signed him to a 1 year contract only 3 weeks ago.

The deal is for the veterans' minimum of $595,000 plus a small signing bonus. Lee, a career backup, had ten catches for 150 yards last year after catching 33 balls in 2005. He shouldn't reach fantasy relevance in 2007.

[url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1278"]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=1278[/url][/quote]

I beleive this is globetrotter's list, not the Bengals'

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='459066' date='Mar 20 2007, 05:24 AM']Not too sure why the Bengals are looking at TE Donald Lee. The Packers just re-signed him to a 1 year contract only 3 weeks ago.

[url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1278"]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=1278[/url][/quote]

ESPN needs to update their list.

[quote name='JoePong' post='459060' date='Mar 20 2007, 03:17 AM']Robert Griffith is absolutely awful.

We have enough good young players on this team. It's time to let them play. No need to pick up any of those guys.[/quote]

He had 3 ints last year, we need veterans and leaders on this team, Thats where Fabini and Griffith come in.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='459179' date='Mar 20 2007, 11:06 AM']He had 3 ints last year, we need veterans and leaders on this team, Thats where Fabini and Griffith come in.[/quote]

A question I have is who would they replace? Who gets cut from the roster. I am of an opposite opinion in that the Bengals need to spend more time grooming younger players. And also putting more on the shoulder of the vets to be the leaders that you seek.

What makes you think that these guys will come in and be "leaders"? I don't see it.

I think the Bengals got out of balance last year by not having a core of young and veteran players signed going into '07. If you look at the start of the '06 season roster they only had ~34 players signed for '07. I hope they address that this year and lock up guys like Andrews, Larson, Radio to longer term deals - and they need to make a decision on either Landon and Caleb as well . Add in the rookie class and the Bengals will be sitting with 42 to 44 players signed going into '08. I think that is an ideal number in that it gives room for the next rookie class to come in and a free agent or two to sure up the roster. But looking for veterans, 4 years into Marvin's reign, to bring leadership doesn't compute.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='459195' date='Mar 20 2007, 11:23 AM']A question I have is who would they replace? Who gets cut from the roster. I am of an opposite opinion in that the Bengals need to spend more time grooming younger players. And also putting more on the shoulder of the vets to be the leaders that you seek.

What makes you think that these guys will come in and be "leaders"? I don't see it.

I think the Bengals got out of balance last year by not having a core of young and veteran players signed going into '07. If you look at the start of the '06 season roster they only had ~34 players signed for '07. I hope they address that this year and lock up guys like Andrews, Larson, Radio to longer term deals - and they need to make a decision on either Landon and Caleb as well . Add in the rookie class and the Bengals will be sitting with 42 to 44 players signed going into '08. I think that is an ideal number in that it gives room for the next rookie class to come in and a free agent or two to sure up the roster. But looking for veterans, 4 years into Marvin's reign, to bring leadership doesn't compute.[/quote]

Why is Griffith a leader? Pro Bowls, 13 years in the league, 195 career games....If you are Madieu Williams or John Busing and you need someone to momic to have success in your career who is there now?

Who is our leader on Defense. Name him? Who is it? Answer is we dont have one. We need one.

Guest fredtoast
With the age of our current LB corp I'm pretty sure we will take one somewhere in the draft, but if we don't here is the guy to replace Shaun Smith.

Rashad Moore, 28, 6'3", 325. He is a RFA, but we won't have to give up a pick to sign him because the Jets didn't draft him. He was All-SEC honorable mention his last year at Tennessee. He was a late round pick by Seattle in '03 but started 6 games as a rookie and 12 his second year. He hurt his shoulder and was released with an injury settlement in '05. He missed that season then signed with the Jets in '06. He is nothing more than a high quality back up, but he only made $460,000 last year. Personally I'm a little worried about Sam Adams (34) and Bryan Robinson (33) holing up for another year.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='459201' date='Mar 20 2007, 11:35 AM']With the age of our current LB corp I'm pretty sure we will take one somewhere in the draft, but if we don't here is the guy to replace Shaun Smith.

Rashad Moore, 28, 6'3", 325. He is a RFA, but we won't have to give up a pick to sign him because the Jets didn't draft him. He was All-SEC honorable mention his last year at Tennessee. He was a late round pick by Seattle in '03 but started 6 games as a rookie and 12 his second year. He hurt his shoulder and was released with an injury settlement in '05. He missed that season then signed with the Jets in '06. He is nothing more than a high quality back he only made $460,000 last year. Personally I'm a little worried about Sam Adams (34) and Bryan Robinson (33) holing up for another year.[/quote]

Guy sounds great and is the type of guy we should be looking for. Nick Speeglish. Add depth to a position of need.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='459199' date='Mar 20 2007, 11:30 AM']Why is Griffith a leader? Pro Bowls, 13 years in the league, 195 career games....If you are Madieu Williams or John Busing and you need someone to momic to have success in your career who is there now?

Who is our leader on Defense. Name him? Who is it? Answer is we dont have one. We need one.[/quote]

I agree we need some leadership on Defense. However, my expectation is Justin, Thorton, Adams, Deltha, and Dexter need to step up their game and provide that. Dexter started to last year. And although Griffith brings the experience he will be 37 years old at mid point of the 2007 season. And if we do bring him in, we already have Madieu, Dexter, Kilmer, and a likely draft pick. That is 4 Safeties. Then Grifth is number 5. That means guys like Jones and Busing are not on the roster. So I go back to my preference and look to Dexter and Madieu to groom the young guns. Not bring in more old guys. I would agree if this was 2003. Not in 2007.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='459204' date='Mar 20 2007, 10:40 AM']I agree we need some leadership on Defense. However, my expectation is Justin, Thorton, Adams, Deltha, and Dexter need to step up their game and provide that. Dexter started to last year. And although Griffith brings the experience he will be 37 years old at mid point of the 2007 season. And if we do bring him in, we already have Madieu, Dexter, Kilmer, and a likely draft pick. That is 4 Safeties. Then Grifth is number 5. That means guys like Jones and Busing are not on the roster. So I go back to my preference and look to Dexter and Madieu to groom the young guns. Not bring in more old guys. I would agree if this was 2003. Not in 2007.[/quote]

Right on. I think ML has iterated that this off-season. Guys I'd see as leaders are Thornton, Adams, Dexter, Madieu, and Justin. Other than Dexter (who leads by his play and his fiery attitude), those other guys are more leaders by example than mouth. I don't see Deltha as a leader, honestly.

Archived