I'm getting a new computer...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys...

I know a lot about computers (like defragmenting... c'mon you learn that in like 6th grade) and about html, just some of the things on that site were a lil over my head...

I wonder what it would cost me to get a local guy to buy the parts and build the comp for me... or how hard it would be to do myself to save the 200 bucks

Guest steggyD
Building your own PC these days is very easy. Don't really have to worry about physical jumpers or anything anymore. Maybe just on the cd/dvd drives. But that's easy. The most difficult part to building a PC is connecting the motherboard to the case. You have to get it right, or it won't come on properly. It's a matter of connecting the power switch buttons to the mo-bo, or extra USB ports. I've seen many people get those parts wrong. And be very careful when inserting the CPU. Don't wanna bend the pins. It's very easy.

I din't mean to patronize you with the defragmentation suggestion. I'm just surprised of people's lack of upkeep on their computers. They are machines, they need maintenance, just as a car does. Yet people still don't take care of their PC's. It disgusts me to see that.

[quote name='Ben' post='206256' date='Jan 19 2006, 02:37 PM'][quote name='The_Joker' post='206247' date='Jan 19 2006, 03:03 PM']
[quote name='GoBengals' post='206019' date='Jan 18 2006, 09:25 PM']
[quote name='The_Joker' post='206010' date='Jan 18 2006, 09:19 PM']
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='205898' date='Jan 18 2006, 05:12 PM']
[quote name='whodey319' post='205884' date='Jan 18 2006, 04:26 PM']
www.cyberpowersystem.com

build yourself one. Way more bang for the buck[/quote]

the site is tight... but WAAAAAAAY over my head :254:
[/quote]
I have switched to Macs 5 years ago and couldn't be happier.
No Viruses
Np Spyware
No Crashes

Flat out stable.. I will never go back. However, If you are a software pirate stick with you PC.
[/quote]

yea, windows has made zero improvements in 5 years...

ps: my pc never crashes gets spyware or viruses either, so sway the many with blasphemy.. as if no macs have viruses or spy ware ever...

ps: i would go to ebay, and buy a dell poweredge server, toss windows on it and get a new video card, i paid $300 for my powerede p42.8 i put 2 gig ram in it and an ati all in wonder card its magical...and server cases are dead silent... its magnificent.

macs are for hippies. :onoudidnt: :contract: :badger: :254: :D -_-
[/quote]
Although I love gronolla and hug some trees every now and again I am NO hippie <_<
Find me a case of a Mac getting a virus and then show me proof of spyware...the research I have done I have found none.
If this site would have had a Mac server would have it went down??? :blink:
The way I see it is people who dislike TJ dislike Macs. :wacko:

Just giving you a hard time Go...I am sure you haven't and a bad enough time over the last couple of weeks. :D

:ninja:
[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure what happened. But i would guess it was a vulnerability in the forum software. Which is running on apache w/ mysql.

btw, What makes you think the site is running on Windows and not linux?(I have no idea)

I'm guessing you dont deal w/ servers for a living w/ that mac server comment.
[/quote]
I don't know either...Mainly I was just giving Go a hard time..no harm no foul :D
You're right I don't do it for a living.
I was only really commenting on my experiences with Mac vs PC's Like I said I have been a Mac user for 5 years now and am pretty happy. I never used the earlier OS's so my experience is with OS9 and later.
As far as software goes, anything I have ever needed I have been able to get with no problem.

Granted, the software for making "back-ups" of my DVD's wasn't available at first but I can get it now. It seems the software writers are a little slower in getting their product out there. And when theyt do it tends to cost a little more.

Archived