A new era begins

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]A new era begins[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Manager excited about opening of his first camp[/b][/size]
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. - So, Jerry Narron, are you ready for spring training to start?

"I have been since - what? - Oct. 3," Narron said.

Narron's wait is over today. The Reds' first workout of the spring, and the first spring session in Narron's tenure as manager, begins at 9:30 a.m. today at the Ed Smith Stadium complex.

Narron's camp edict is simple: Do things the right way.

His schedule will be abbreviated from the one the Reds used the past two years, when camp was split into morning and afternoon sessions.

"We want quality over quantity," he said. "I don't want to be out there until 6 o'clock to impress someone."

Two-a-days were part of former general manager Dan O'Brien's regime. Narron insisted when he got the job permanently that the schedule be cut back.

But that's not the only change in camp.

Because of the late change in general managers - O'Brien was fired Jan. 23, and Wayne Krivsky was hired Feb. 7 - the Reds have 62 players in Sarasota.

Krivsky has added Scott Hatte- berg, Quinton McCracken and Tuffy Rhodes in the past week, and nobody has been cut.

"It's nice to add veteran guys, especially this late," Krivsky said. "I was really surprised Hatteberg (and McCracken were) available - two guys who are pros and know how to play the game. It definitely gives us some depth. Big-league depth."

The past few years, the Reds' final roster spots often were determined not by merit but by who had or didn't have options. Narron expects that to change on Krivsky's watch.

"I think so," Narron said. "And I think with Hatteberg, McCracken and Tuffy Rhodes, it gives us more options."

Narron was talking about roster options, but the Reds also could trade Wily Mo Peña or Austin Kearns, plug in Hatteberg at first, and move Adam Dunn back to the outfield. Krivsky consulted Narron on all the moves.

"He's very knowledgeable and he's got a lot of energy," Narron said. "He's definitely going to try to make things happen."

Narron addressed a variety of topics Thursday. Among them:

Players' roles: "I like guys who know how to play the game the right way. The big thing is having guys who know their roles and know how to stay ready.

"Part of my job (is) making sure they know when they're going to play and keeping them sharp," Narron said.

Having 31 pitchers in camp: "I would like to have 25, 26 pitchers. But the situation we're in this winter has made it difficult. We're going to have to do everything we can to make sure people get work.

"There are probably going to be some guys who don't get out there are much as they'd like. But that's part of baseball, part of spring training."

Competitive spots: "Definitely pitching. The bullpen spots. We're looking for some guys to step up and pitch well for us out of the bullpen. A lot will depend on Paul Wilson and where he is, the fourth or fifth spot in the rotation."

Third base: "I think all of us are hoping Edwin Encarnacion plays well and shows he can be a major-league player."

Second base: "Tony Womack, Ryan Freel and (non-roster invitee Frank) Menechino. We've got a lot of depth there. That's nice to have."

Where Rich Aurilia fits in: "Richie can play second, third, short, maybe even a little first base sometime. A lot depends on how things play out. Rich is the type of player who knows how to play the game. For a manager, no matter where you put him, you know he's going to play it right."

Which relievers he sees as potential closers: "Every one of them. I really don't think it does any good to talk about it the day before we start."[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060217/SPT04/602170374/1071"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../602170374/1071[/url]

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='219664' date='Feb 18 2006, 08:56 AM'][quote name='oldschooler' post='219427' date='Feb 17 2006, 12:12 PM']

"I have been since - what? - Oct. 3," Narron said.[/quote]

And the fans have been ready since April 8, 2005. ^_^
[/quote]

:o ha.

So who is the Reds #1 pitcher this year?

Guest schotzee

[quote name='The Scales' post='219695' date='Feb 18 2006, 10:21 AM'][quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='219664' date='Feb 18 2006, 08:56 AM']
[quote name='oldschooler' post='219427' date='Feb 17 2006, 12:12 PM']

"I have been since - what? - Oct. 3," Narron said.[/quote]

And the fans have been ready since April 8, 2005. ^_^
[/quote]

:o ha.

So who is the Reds #1 pitcher this year?
[/quote]

My guess,out of the group we are going with now. Harang.

Archived