This Years Tight End Class...

Guest Claptonrocks

Guest fredtoast
Our third round pick from my mock

[b][u]3. David Thomas, TE, 6'3", 252, Texas[/u][/b]

[b]Production:[/b] Texas career record holder for TEs in receptions (88), yards (1,279), and TDs (15). Played in 50 games with 37 starts. His 14.5 avg per catch is VERY impressive for a TE. Interesting to note that 636 of his 1,279 career receiving yds were YAC, so this guy can really move after he catches the ball.

2005: Consensus First Team All-Big Twelve Conference selection...All-American Dream Team selection[b] and rated the best blocker at his position by The NFL Draft Report……Graded 85.6% for blocking consistency (best among NCAA Division 1-A tight ends), as he ranked second on the squad with 126 key blocks and nineteen touchdown-resulting blocks, while leading the squad with 39 blocks down field[/b]

2004: First Team All Big-12

2003: All Big-12 Honorable Mention

[b]Measurables:[/b] Nothing eye-popping, but not bad for the 88th player in the draft. Here's how his combine numbers compare to the other TEs there, 2nd in Vertical Leap and 10 yd dash, 6th in the 20 yd dash and 40 yd dash, 7th in Broad jump and Cone Drill. He also did the Short Shuttle in 4.15 at the Texas pro day workout.

[b]Intangibles: [/b] Known for his high character and great citizenship. Also a great student. Finalist for the Draddy Trophy (considered the academic Heisman Trophy) and The Wuerffel Trophy which is for combination athletic and academic achievement.

Many scouts say he is more fitted for an H-back or motion tight end, but that is fine with me. We already have a blocking TE and Thomas is obviously capable of blocking on the move. This can be much more important than just drive blocking off the line for a TE. I love the stat on downfield blocks.

Archived