This Years Tight End Class...

Guest Claptonrocks

Guest Claptonrocks
Looking at this year's list of tight end prospects Im led to believe this is the year the Bengals
draft one... I havent a clue as to when....
Do they grab one of the better prospects in an earlier round or wait until the last minute and select one of the better ones still left on the board....

I see it as
Vernon Davis as a first rounder
Mercedes Lewis and Leonard Pope as second rounders
Dom Byrd and Anthony Fassano as third rounders
Tim Day and Joel Klopfenstein as fourth rounders
Tony Scheffler, TJ Williams and Dave Thomas as fifth rounders

All of these guys have an upside to them from Davis down to Thomas...
It comes down to how high you think a guy is worth and what he'll contribute in your offensive scheme.

do the Bengals grab a Lewis ( he may be a third rounder but gone when the team drafts so youd grab him in the second)
or Pope in the second ( who would probably be gone in the second so youd reach a bit and grab him with a first round pick imo) or wait until say the fourth and grab a Klopfenstien and hope he pans out?

Pope a 2? I have seen a lot of mock drafts with Pope going in 1, most of those to the Bears. I might be in the minority, but I would not be at all upset if Pope went at 24.

If not, the next guy on my list is Klopfenstein out of Colorado.

Guest Claptonrocks
Pope could very well be a first rounder... Id say the Bengals would have to grab him in the first if he's a second rounder because he'd be gone by then...
Trouble with allot of players that would look good in stripes is that theyd be gone in the round the team would lilke to draft them in ...

Case in point would be a Tye Hill... He might not be a first rounder but he'll be gone before the Bengals draft in the second...

Devon Hester... Bengals were talking to him... nice kick returner with scary speed..
He'd be a reach in the third but more than likely be gone in the fourth..

Jason Allen may be there in the first but he'd be gone in the second ....its a dilemma...

They better be damn sure who they want in the first round because the second round is going to see allot of good players gone before they select again...

Guest Johnsons4Life
I vote for Mercedes Lewis in either the 2nd or 3rd. Although i seriously doubt him. After Davis, Pope, and Lewis I dont really know much about the other TE's. From reading stuff from you guys i think any of the other TE's will work so maybe defense in 1st and 2nd rounds and then a TE in 3 or 4 rounds. But we'll see.

Guest Johnsons4Life
I have an interesting question. Which of the TE's in this class compares with heath miller of pitt. Just wondering where he might of gone with the great TE's in this draft.

[quote name='Johnsons4Life' post='228415' date='Mar 9 2006, 03:32 PM']I have an interesting question. Which of the TE's in this class compares with heath miller of pitt. Just wondering where he might of gone with the great TE's in this draft.[/quote]

Second or 3rd TE. Vernon Davis would still be #1 for sure. I think it would be between Pope and Miller for #2.

Guest Patmo
[quote name='Johnsons4Life' post='228413' date='Mar 9 2006, 03:27 PM']I vote for Mercedes Lewis in either the 2nd or 3rd. Although i seriously doubt him. After Davis, Pope, and Lewis I dont really know much about the other TE's. From reading stuff from you guys i think any of the other TE's will work so maybe defense in 1st and 2nd rounds and then a TE in 3 or 4 rounds. But we'll see.[/quote]

I'll take Sheffler or Klopfenstein.

I agree with ClaptonRocks.
If Vernon Davis drops (you never know...Aaron Rodgers was a "guaranteed" top 5 pick last year), we get him in the first.
If Pope or Lewis go into the 2nd, we get them

IMO, TEs are going to go A LOT faster than everyone thinks this year, especially with a rather weak WR class.

I would not be surprised to see 4 TE's in the 1st round this year, more like 3 though.

I'd expect Lewis or Tim Day to be in stripes in 2006.

Also, don't be suprised by a late day 2 pick-up like Cooper Wallace, even if we take another TE higher.

Guest OzBengal
I'd go Defense in the first and then wait to see who is there in the 2nd. If Lewis or Pope are there, I would take one of them. Otherwise I would wait to the 3rd round and then take the best one on the board, even if its a small reach.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='natifanatic' post='228778' date='Mar 10 2006, 09:04 AM']And he goes with the Bulldog drafts that Marvin has been coming up with, if we get Pope, we should [b]pick up Max Jean-Gilles in the 3rd or 4th [/b](I think that's where he's projected) just because of the Bulldog tag!

Of course I'm just kidding.[/quote]

Gilles won't make it out of Round 2.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='228782' date='Mar 10 2006, 09:09 AM'][quote name='natifanatic' post='228778' date='Mar 10 2006, 09:04 AM']
And he goes with the Bulldog drafts that Marvin has been coming up with, if we get Pope, we should [b]pick up Max Jean-Gilles in the 3rd or 4th [/b](I think that's where he's projected) just because of the Bulldog tag!

Of course I'm just kidding.[/quote]

Gilles won't make it out of Round 2.
[/quote]

And depending on what we do in 1, I wouldn't be opposed to us taking Jean-Gilles in 2 (I want a safety in 1 or 2).

• 2 weeks later...
Steelers | Team to take a look at J. Lewis
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:17:33 -0800

John O'Connor, of the Times-Dispatch, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have invited NCAA basketball C Jai Lewis, of George Mason, to visit with them after the NCAA basketball tournament is over. There may also be other NFL teams that want to take a first-hand look at the 6-7 275-pounder. Lewis last played football as a tight end and defensive end at Aberdeen (Md.) High School. But his size and athleticism intrigues NFL scouts, who see some TE Antonio Gates (Chargers) in Lewis. A Steelers scout watched Lewis play in the Colonial Athletic Association tournament earlier this month at the Richmond Coliseum and left impressed by Lewis' dimensions, coordination and mobility. "I'd love to play football, and the NFL is always trying to find athletes," said Lewis.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Taken from [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts"]NFL.com[/url]

[quote]Twenty-five NFL teams were represented. Jacksonville and Cincinnati sent their tight ends coaches, and St. Louis sent its linebackers coach. The players ran the 40 indoors on a fast track, and the shuttles outside on grass.

Joe Klopfenstein TE Klopfenstein (255) ran his 40s in 4.56 and 4.57 seconds. He looked good in the position drills.[/quote]

[img]http://web.dailycamera.com/photos/1113buffs/7.jpg[/img]

[quote]Strengths: Tall with a rangy frame that he can still add weight and bulk to...Is a good athlete with solid speed...Has soft hands and will make the tough catch...Reliable pass receiver with excellent concentration...Knows how to get open and can work in traffic...Can get down the field and stretch the seam...Smart player who works hard and has good intangibles...Can be an excellent threat in the red zone.

Weaknesses: Is not a great blocker, especially in the running game...Needs to hit the weight room and get stronger...Can run better routes...Is not very quick or explosive and may not be quite as athletic as his computer numbers would lead you to believe.

Notes: From a measurables standpoint this guy has what teams are looking for...May never rank amongst the elite tight ends in the league but could fall into that next tier...Should become a tremendous weapon in the passing game at the pro level.[/quote]

Sounds like Schobel to me..

[quote]AT COLORADO: This Season (Sr.) -- CU’s starting tight end and a legitimate candidate for the John Mackey Award as well as All-America honors. Street & Smith’s and nationalchamps.net both cited him as an honorable mention preseason All-American (and he’s one of a just a handful on the FWAA checklist), while he was virtually all the preseason publications choice for either first- or second-team all-Big 12 honors. The Sporting News ranked him as the No. 15 tight end in the nation, with Phil Steele’s College Football tabbing him at No. 20. He won the Fred Casotti Award in the spring as the outstanding offensive back as selected by the coaching staff. He was the overall strength and conditioning champion for the “Explosion” group (TE, LB, FB, DS) with 66 points, owning a group bests of 403 pounds in the bench press and a 38-inch vertical jump, along with impressive showings in the standing long jump (10-0 feet), the 40-yard dash (4.53, which was sixth best on the team), the squat (504 lbs.), the power clean (315 lbs.) and incline (347 lbs.). He enters his senior season ranked high on several all-time Colorado career lists, as he is tied for 33rd in receptions (48), tied for 58th in receiving yards (474) and is tied for 15th in receiving TDs (8); those same numbers rank him eighth, 12th and fourth among tight ends.

2004 (Jr.) -- He played in all 13 games with 12 starts, including the Houston Bowl (deferring to senior Jesse Wallace for his final home game), and earned second-team all-Big 12 honors from the league coaches and honorable mention accolades from the Associated Press. His best game of the year came at the best time—in CU’s 33-28 win over Texas-El Paso in the bowl game, he caught five passes for 134 yards and a touchdown—earned all-bowl team honors from ESPN.com. The touchdown he had against the Miners was a 78-yard catch and run effort where he shook the safety at midfield and ran away from all other defenders for what would be the longest reception by a tight end in school history (by some 21 yards). He tied for the second most receptions on the team, as he caught 28 passes for 284 yards and four touchdowns. He caught at least one pass in 11 games (shutout only against No. 2 Oklahoma), and had two or more in eight games and three or more in five contests. Numbers-wise, his top game came against North Texas, when he caught six passes for 67 yards and two touchdowns. He also had four grabs for 48 yards at Texas A&M, including a pair of key receptions on CU’s go-ahead touchdown drive with 1:05 left; one was a terrific one-handed snare and the other brought CU to the 1-yard line (both were 11 yards in length). A 45-yard pass from James Cox against Texas was his long play of the season, and the third longest overall by the Buffaloes on the year. He earned CU’s offensive lineman of the week for two games (North Texas and Nebraska). Street & Smith’s cited him as a preseason honorable mention All-American, while The Sporting News ranked him as the No. 4 tight end in the nation.

2003 (Soph.) -- He played in 11 games, including 10 starts as he had a breakout-type season (he missed the Texas Tech road trip with a bad case of the flu, which also kept him from starting the following week against Missouri). He had entered the fall listed third at tight end, but between a combination of his development and injuries at the position, he ascended to starting status for the season opener against Colorado State. In earning honorable mention all-Big12 Conference honors from both the Associated Press and the league coaches, he caught 20 passes for 190 yards, four touchdowns and eight first downs on the season, catching at least one pass in nine games and two or more in six contests. His reception best was five against UCLA (for 25 yards), with his yardage best being 63 yards on three receptions versus Kansas (including his season long, 48 yards, which went for a score). His two touchdowns against Washington State marked the first time a CU tight end caught two in a game since Nov. 9, 1996, when Brody Heffner Liddiard had a pair in a 49-42 win over Iowa State. He had a solid spring, as he led all players on offense with 11 receptions; he averaged 12.5 yards per catch (137 yards) and caught two touchdown passes.[/quote]

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='235225' date='Mar 20 2006, 11:05 AM']Taken from [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts"]NFL.com[/url]

[quote]Twenty-five NFL teams were represented. Jacksonville and Cincinnati sent their tight ends coaches, and St. Louis sent its linebackers coach. The players ran the 40 indoors on a fast track, and the shuttles outside on grass.

Joe Klopfenstein TE Klopfenstein (255) ran his 40s in 4.56 and 4.57 seconds. He looked good in the position drills.[/quote]

[img]http://web.dailycamera.com/photos/1113buffs/7.jpg[/img]

[quote]Strengths: Tall with a rangy frame that he can still add weight and bulk to...Is a good athlete with solid speed...Has soft hands and will make the tough catch...Reliable pass receiver with excellent concentration...Knows how to get open and can work in traffic...Can get down the field and stretch the seam...Smart player who works hard and has good intangibles...Can be an excellent threat in the red zone.

Weaknesses: Is not a great blocker, especially in the running game...[b]Needs to hit the weight room and get stronger[/b]...Can run better routes...Is not very quick or explosive and may not be quite as athletic as his computer numbers would lead you to believe.[/quote]
[/quote]

He did 27 reps, 3rd best of any TE, and better than all but 5 of the Tackles who lifted.

Guest fredtoast
Derek Miller, 6'7", 275, Maryland, seventh round.

Played in everygame for four straight years. Starter for last two years. Mainly a blocker [b]he also played some OT his senior season[/b]. Not invited to combine, but put up some nice numbers at Maryland's pro day workout. He is heavier than every TE at the combine and taller than all of them except Pope. Had a 36 vertical which would have been 5th among combine TEs and 9'4" broad jump that would have been 6th.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest schotzee
Looks like TE will be addressed late rounds if this is the guy.
Bengals | Team might have interest in C. Davis
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:27:29 -0800

Tom Kubat, of the Journal and Courier, reports Purdue TE Charles Davis said the Cincinnati Bengals seem pretty interested in drafting him. When asked when or who will likely select him in the draft, Davis replied, "It's just a big waiting game now. From what I gathered at the combine and first pro day, it seemed like Cincinnati was pretty interested. But you really don't know."

I believe he is like a 6th round projection.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='237598' date='Mar 23 2006, 10:09 PM']I would be elated with Fasano in the third round...Mark Bavaro type that would bring a swagger as well.[/quote]

Would he last until 3? If we go with Fasano, who I am starting to like, we may need to do it in 2.

Archived